Grass Lake

Grass Lake is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 679 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Did this trail back in June when there was still alot of snow on the trail. Thats what made it hard the snow and water crossings but I did this as a little side trail coming back from completing the Half-moon Lake trail so I was already tired of hiking through the snow all day. I liked the Grass Lake area I don't think it would be good for camping with so many more lakes available but worth checking out for a while.

I do not understand why a person can purchase an overnight permit for Grass lake, I did, except the problem is that there isn't a single location to pitch the tent, I walked half around the lake to the point where there was no more trail, and still... nowhere at all to set up camp, not even any decent trees to hang the bear bag really. The mosquitoes were the worse I've seen at any location to date. Finally, the road leading to the trail head,(Fallen Leaf rd), the road is horrendous and the trail itself was loose rock for a major portion of it. At least whilst I was at the lake, I had it all to myself, no one around. I will never return to Grass lake, not worth it.

Sat Jul 13 2013

My sister and our 3 dogs (goldens and husky) hiked this yesterday after reading several descriptions. Easy. Lots of water. Scenic. This is not a dog friendly trail. The trail begins on rocks, and the majority of the trail is either rock, small rocks, gravel or granite. There were so many people (parking lot full) that we had to walk an extra .3 miles on hot ground. We were told many water spots but all but two were dried up. We should have turned around after the first mile but we thought this trail will have to turn into a dirt trail soon. We reached the lake and it is very pretty, but I had to carry out my sisters golden because an entire section of her pad ripped off. The other two dogs got really bad blisters. I've hiked all over and I come prepared for my dogs, but I didn't on this hike because of the "easy" rating and "tons of water" in the description. Do not take your dog on this trail.