Granite Peak Trail

Granite Peak Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lewiston, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Weaverville: The Weaverville Ranger District office is located along Main Street in Weaverville, California. Maps and information available.

I hiked this peak as a day hike with my dog in June 2017. I started too late in the morning by getting to trail head at 11am, I'd recommend an earlier start, especially in the summer. It was hot, and the first 3 miles did not offer streams for water for my dog - he was not a happy camper about the heat. The climb is steep and persistent, many switchbacks. An amazing work out though and good to build stamina! My legs were noodles by the time I reached the false summit... which made the climb to the true summit a bugger, but so worth it! The 360* view including Mt Shasta, Trinity and Whiskeytown Lake, and the snowcapped peaks deep in the Trinities was spectacular. Worth the climb! But I will probably never hike this peak again, once is enough for me.

Beautiful views and as described. I had a hard time finding/following the trail at the very end (to the Peak) but that could just be me. Some scrubery overgrowth but minimal.

My calves...they burnnnnn! Beautiful hike but expect to put some real effort in once you get near the end, I started counting switchbacks but lost count around number 50.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Strenuous is right, but if you want a great workout with a reward of great views, here it is. It's a little longer, but you can access the peak via the Stoney Ridge Trail, too.

Monday, July 28, 2014

A good benchmark for what "strenuous" is, with a magnificent view to pay off at the summit. A leg burner, to be sure, with what seem to be endless switchbacks. My GPS showed it to be closer to 6 miles of actual hiking than 4.5... (and it felt like it, too!).....to the summit. Complete solitude, beautiful flowers. Water is available for purifying at perfect intervals at two granite bottomed stream crossings. My boxer was dragging butt, but a dog friendly trail. I will go back and sleep at the peak next time. A good workout hike.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Great day-hike destination that will offer beautiful views of the Trinity Alps, Mt Shasta, Lassen Peak, and Trinity Lake. All uphill climb to the peak and the trail is in fairly good shape.

Friday, September 09, 2016