Granite Lake, Dick's Lake, Velma Lake, Eagle Lake Loop

Granite Lake, Dick's Lake, Velma Lake, Eagle Lake Loop is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A trek through Lake Tahoe's Desolation Wilderness past several lakes including Granite Lake, Dick's Lake, Velma Lake, Fontanillis Lake, and Eagle Lake. This hike provides a great tour of some of the best features of desolation wilderness. It is great for a 2-day, 1-night backpacking trip on a weekend or for a long day hike. All lakes along this hike are spectacular and are great for swimming. There are a number steep sections, particularly near the beginning and end of the hike, but the views make up for it.

One of the best hikes I did near Tahoe area. If you are doing the loop just as AllTrails, make sure you plan early. This one can be a long hike with so many scenic points that one day feels to be on a tight schedule. I did the loop starting from Bayview trail and ending at Eagle creek trailhead.
If you are climbing from Eagle falls side, be aware that its somewhat steep compared to Granite Lake side. Rest assured, the views at Dicks Lake and Fontanillis Lake make up very much for the effort. Would like to plan a backpacking trip next year just before snow completely melts away. Definitely one of the top hikes near South Lake Tahoe.

great alpine views and swimming

Did this last week as a solo overnighter, I included a summit of Dicks Peak on the second day. Trail starts out steep all the way to Granite Lake, then levels off for a minute before climbing again steeply toward Maggie's Peak. It's a beautiful area but in the summer this section of the trail can be an absolute zoo! Once above the switchbacks the people traffic dropped off sharply and it seemed a pretty quick trek down and over to the Velma Lakes. I didn't see a trail heading to lower Velma but if you have a map and even an average sense of direction it's an easy find.

After checking out lower Velma I continued on to Middle Velma and then up to Fontanillis Lake for the night to camp. There didn't seem to be much in the way of open space around the lake but I probed around a bit on the west side and found a beautiful spot to set up. A breathtaking view and good fishing to boot! Even in August there wasn't a single other person around that I saw.

After waking early I continued onto the intersection with the PCT. This is where my hike detoured a bit as I wanted to bag Dicks Peak while I was out there. After stashing my pack I headed up and over Dicks Pass. Even if you aren't heading up the mountain, a trip over the pass itself is amazing: endless views in all directions! Dicks Peak via Dicks Pass is certainly not for the casual hiker; requiring some steep hard class III scrambling over very loose rock. I would absolutely not recommend trying to take a dog up here.

After a difficult false summit I made the top and the views were the best I've seen from any Peak in Desolation. You're smack dab in the middle of everything so everything from Round Top to Pyramid Peak to Freel and beyond is on show here. Spectacular and worth the extra effort!

The way back was a bit of a blur as I hadn't gotten too much sleep the night before, but I was back at my truck by 6pm.

The Eagle Lake and Bayview trailheads are probably my least favorite to access the Desolation Wilderness, but that's solely because of the very high amount of traffic they get. However, as with all things Desolation, once you get a few miles in you're very much on your own.

This trip was just breathtaking. We headed out with 3 adults and 6 teens from Eagle Lake trailhead (Get there early, early as there are many day hikers and sight-seers filling up the lot and all along the road.) Our permits were for Dick's Lake and we were originally going in on Bayview Trail, however we could only find online info that said Maggie's Peak was impassable, so decided to go in by way of Eagle Lake. Now that we know Maggie's Peak is passable, we would have preferred that short steep elevation gain over the brutal mile or more of steps heading up from Eagle Lake (especially for my shorty legs). As always, the challenges made the trip. We lost the trail due to large snow patches and ended up at a small lake after finding the trail again. After a hot day, significant elevation gain, a waning sun, and not knowing how difficult the trek to Dick's would be, we ended up camping here and enjoyed a stunning apricot sunset, the reflection bouncing off the granite hillside and onto the lake. Fresh and well-rested, we easily trekked up and over to Dick's the following morning. The snow was plentiful, but found that if we followed the ridge on the high side and climbing the rocks and boulders we could skirt around the snow and any potential fall throughs. Dick's Lake was about 85% frozen but we found an easy trail to the northwest corner. Here we had easy access to the water draining down towards Fontanellis. The lake itself had melted enough at this corner for some iceberg hopping and bracing jumps into the water. The weather couldn't have been better with mid-80s during the day and high 30s at night. Part of the group needed to return the following day so we hiked back Bayview Trail to Granite Lake. The water there felt warm and comfortable after Dick's! The remainder of the group camped on the southeast of Granite where we found several fantastic tent sites. We all agreed the best one was just over the ridge facing southwest with breathtaking views of south Lake Tahoe, Cascade Lake, the Cascade Falls, and Fallen Leaf Lake. A huge orange full moon rose up from the east leaving us all in awe and gave a perfect closure to a short but adventurous trip into Desolation.

Gorgeous hike up to Fontanillis lake, but still tons of snow and the lake is pretty much entirely frozen over.

Snow starts to show up after the first small creek crossing and then before the fork to Dicks. We decided to test out our orienteering skills and take the left to Dicks Pass and it was definitely more efficient, but all snow without tracks so definitely make sure you know how to navigate with a Topo map or GPS. The marmots were out in full force at Fontanillis Lake so be ready for them! High in the 70s, lows in the high 20s.

We decided to do the loop back. Coming down to Velmas it was equally as difficult to find the PCT. We crossed the river as high as we could as it was still snow covered with plenty of snow to make it across (move quickly). We then hugged the left side of the river to upper velma lake. We crossed at the bottom of the lower portion of upper velma just before it feeds into a creek that feeds lower velma. From there it's pretty straightforward.

Make sure you bring a bear hang for the marmots (and there were bear prints in the snow as well), gaiters, and even crampons if you want to try to do the pass early in the morning.

Went early June 2017 and the amount of snow made the hike a bit of an adventure. The views were sumptuous and the weather gorgeous. We camped at Fontanillis lake, the wind was howling all night long but waking up to the sunrise over lake Tahoe was worth the loud night.
The hike is moderate and could be done within a day but I recommend camping up in altitude to be able to spend more time taking the scenery in.
We actually did the loop the other way round and I would highly recommend doing that way since you end up walking down with a glorious view over Tahoe city, Heavenly and Granite lake.

Went at the end of May 2017 and unfortunately the trail was snowed over. We walked into desolation and made it to Granite Lake (which was mostly still frozen over) From there we were unsure of where to go so we climbed the snowed over mountain to the top of the ridge. From there we could see Eagle Lake. We walked along the ridge (by which I mean we scaled across the rock cropings) and then scaled down the mountain and ended up at Eagle Falls where we pitched our tent and camped for the night. It was absolutely beautiful and I would recommend doing it if you're looking for a short but demanding hike. The hike up in the snow was difficult as we were just in hiking shoes and slippery on the way down. This way also required a lot of bouldering. Sad we didn't get to do the loop but just a heads up, check conditions before heading up :)

Friday, September 09, 2016

Excellent hike with great views. Spent the night at Middle Velma which was pristine and a nice swimming spot after a long hike.

The trail out of Bayview is pretty steep and draining for a little over the first mile and a half, especially with a pack, but levels out nicely after reaching the "summit."

Would not recommend the taking Eagles Pass, and just go back down the Bayview trail. Eagles was overly crowded, and the walk back on 89 was a disappointing way to end a great hike. If you are planning this hike Fall 2016 be aware of road construction on 89.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

A great day hike: countless pristine lakes, bogs, and views, all enjoyed at a moderate grade. Plus, even on a holiday weekend, this trail was not overly-trafficked. You start up a sandy slope but that doesn't last too long until you level off for the rest of the hike and hit your first lake.

I see many weren't thrilled with the walk back up the highway, but we didn't mind...especially since started the hike a bit later in the day so it was sunset over Lake Tahoe when we made the short trek back to our car, parked along road near Inspiration Point.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Great loop, we turned this into a nice overnighter and stayed at Lower Velma. Beautiful lake. If I did this again, I would not hike down to eagle lake and eagle falls. It was so crowded and we found the trail out of Granite lake to be a better hike. Also finishing on the highway and hiking back up to Bayview is not so much fun.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Took our time and split this into 3 days for a very enjoyable trip. Slept at middle Velma and Dicks while stopping to swim at the 6 lakes along the way. Desolate, but beautiful

Friday, July 15, 2016

Enjoyed a quiet lunch at the outflow from Upper Velma, nice shade on a hot day.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Did this hike to only to Lower Velma Lake and back (8.5 miles). We hit snow about 2 miles in. There would be a patch of snow, then rocks, then snow. It was like this all the way to the lakes. The snow was walkable, but I'd recommend having something on your boots to help grip. The hike out in the afternoon was really wet. The snow was melting fast and running over the trail. Beautiful hike. Beautiful lakes (they were still half frozen). Well worth the effort and time.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Had a great time, despite a sleepless first night at Dick's Lake. Be forewarned, the spots there are beautiful, but the wind can be extreme. All of lakes are incredible. Some of the best swimming out there. Even in the drought.

Ran into a couple of groups that didn't quite have their bearings, but everyone on the trail was very polite.

Walk back up to Bayview at the end went quickly, but the cars drive rather quickly along the road.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Really, really great hike! So happy I stumbled across this recommended itinerary :D
Comments:
- Definitely a healthy climb the first 2 miles but very doable.
- The trail becomes a bit free-form at times and we would subsequently get off trail. Always able to recover though (granted, we went just after a snowfall which made the trail easier to follow at times since we could see foot prints but would also hide markers)
- The lakes are absolutely gorgeous! Great for filtering water and eating a serene lunch
- The walk back after visiting Eagle Lake along highway 50 sorta sucks especially after experiencing all the wonderful trails... It is a 1.02 miles walk. There is a shoulder but minimal at times + for some reason all the cars passing are going pretty quickly... All in all we would still stick to the proposed trail as it was great to finish with Eagle Lake.

Will definitely do this trail again!

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Awesome guide Chris! Our group had a wonderful time (7 ppl, 2 dogs). Got a Saturday overnight permit reservation on http://www.recreation.gov/ for Fontanillis Lake, car camped at Luther Pass on Friday night, headed out early to the Taylor Creek Visitor Center to pick up the permit on Saturday, and drove over to the Bayview Trailhead. Dropped people off and shuttled the second car to the Eagle Falls Trailhead so we had a way of getting back. We got slightly off trail when we reached Upper Velma but found our way back to Fontanillis where we camped on the side of the hill. Beautiful views and great swimming spots. Only pests were the mosquitoes that were in full force at that time so make sure you bring bug repellent! Awesome trip and I can see why one would do this hike again :D

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Great guide.
Just a small note: can you add some information on the permitting process? How to get them, how easy/difficult?

Friday, December 31, 2010

Your Fonanillas Lake & Eagle Falls pictures are beautiful. It looks like a great backpacking trip.

Friday, December 31, 2010

I can't take credit for all of the pictures in this guide, some are by other EveryTrail members. This area is one of my favorites, that's probably why I have done this exact trip 2 times even though there are so many other great places in this area.