Granite Lake and Granite Pass Trail

Granite Lake and Granite Pass Trail is a 19.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dunlap, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

This hike kicked my butt! I tried to make it a Day Hike and wasn't ready for it! I would make it a 2day trip. Ran into a few Deers! Good weather, and trail is easy to stay on. I definitely plan to take another run at it when I'm in better shape.

Wow such an amazing but difficult hike! I did this hike last year in August and it was hot! There are tons of switchbacks on this hike and the inclines are pretty relentless! Once you get to the top if granite basin though it's all worth it! you reach 10,000 ft and instantly the scenery completely changes and it is totally breathtaking. The basin has so much wildlife, massive meadows and several natural lakes that lie against the granite walls that are a bright green and so beautiful! And even though much of the hike is so difficult the views the entire time are spectacular! There was no snow when I went last year but because of this year's heavy snow pack I would expect there to still be snow on the trail this time and lots of creeks that might be a little swift crossing the path. I would definitely recommend this hike!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

First few miles are very exposed to the sun. The trail is fairly boring and pretty killer up until you get past the lip (8 miles in).