Granite Chief Peak from Squaw

Granite Chief Peak from Squaw is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Olympic Valley, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

This is a great trail. I was under the impression it was not very shady. Not true. Plenty of shade. I parked at the Olympic Valley Inn. There's a restroom there, plenty of parking and it sits right at a trailhead that intersects the Granite Chief Trail. It's a steady climb up and up. Lots of people run this trail. I went to Granite Peak and then to the top of Emigrant before heading to the Squaw tram. Sept 30 is the last day the tram is open so I made a quick decision to do this hike. I was alone and so didn't stop much. I only saw a few people on the trail, including 3 hunters in camouflage. After descending Granite Peak, I accidentally got on the trail back the way I came. Once I figured that out, I turned around and found the right trail. The AllTrails app helps..

If you are looking for a challenging hike with beautiful views and a free tram down, this is it! My only disappointment of the day was that the restaurant was closed. I really wanted a margarita.

Not a lot of snow this year in January... We started at Squaw, climbed up via Granite Chief Trail. Submitted Granite Cheif Peak. For the descent, we crossed over to the top of Shirley Lake Express lift and took the Aerial Tram to come down.