Learn more

Goldenrod Loop, Horseshoe, and Brandon Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(132)
Anthony Chabot Regional Park

Goldenrod Loop, Horseshoe, and Brandon Loop is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 528 feet Route Type: Loop

A moderate loop trail with views of the Upper San Leandro Reservoir

Great leisurely trail with my friend and our dogs! You get the best of both worlds, open space and shaded areas :) We enjoyed every step of the way!

Great place for physical distancing walks/runs. Wide walking paths. Some shade some direct sun. Bring a hat :)

Good trail! Didn’t really see the reservoir but other good views of the hills. Trail gets pretty close to the road for a bit. Also overshot the connection by the stables and crossed over on Buckeye trail to Brandon.

Nice easy hike. Lots of different trees, nice balance between sun and shade. We overshot the trail at the horse stable and missed the connect at Horseshoe trail. But walked on to Buckeye trail instead. Then Brandon to Jackson.

Very green! Simple rolling, wooded hills. Uncrowded.

This is a fairly dusty and poopy trail that is a little difficult to follow even with the AllTrails app recording. Beautiful vistas along the way of golden hills. It should be called the “Goldenrod, Horseshoe, Brandon, Jackson Grade Loop/Skyline”. The Horseshoe connection is easy to miss and you need to enter it from the Equestrian Area. For the Brandon to Jackson Grade connection, stay to the far right. I took a short detour into Cascade which looked really peaceful and gorgeous.

Great trail, went with another couple and it was fun. Beautiful trees and trail area

Varied hike with good birds. Relatively cool even at midday.

Enjoyable hike but lots of horse crap. Watch your footing.

Wow, I was not expecting this to be as good as it was. Several types of landscapes; from hill crests to secret forests. I missed the Horseshoe trail switch over and had to double back. The horseshoe trail is connected to the equestrian center - don’t trust the little dotted black line on this one.

Sat Jun 08 2019

I walked this trail with my boyfriend and another couple the second week of June. This was a nice trail for a group of people with a variety of hiking backgrounds. It took us around three hours but we had a break for lunch AND went the wrong way twice. It's not an incredibly well marked trail but if you have GPS you'll be fine. There wasn't cell service for any of us, which can be a nice way to "disconnect". The actual trail had a few sections of climbs - very reasonably graded. I would say half of the trail was shaded Some of it was yellow from the summer heat, but the portions along the creek were very green and lush. Logistically, there were extra spots available at the parking lot even though it was 11 AM on a Saturday. There were bathrooms and water at a stable halfway through the hike (where we stopped for lunch). Overall, a great "one size fits all" hike for a group of varied experience.

Thu Apr 04 2019

Tue Mar 19 2019

Took my pup on this magical trail. I highly recommend going clockwise on this trail, the hills are much more gentle going that way. The trail starts out in eucalyptus tree groves. Once you hit the equestrian center, half way in, the trail dives into this beautifully shaded valley. Everything was especially lush in the second half of the hike as the trail hugged the creek.

Wed Jan 30 2019

This is one of my fave hikes this time of year to take my doggo offleash. I can always see him and no major cliffs or ledges for him to run down. Trail is wide and decent for running as well. Only 4 stars for me because of the immense amount of horse poop and the electric fences by the stables - be sure to leash your dog as the trail bends!

Sun May 13 2018

Nice breezes for a warm day, pretty smatterings of wild flowers and the front side was deserted. Second half of the loop on horseback/Brandon had more people (probably because it’s flatter).

Mon Mar 26 2018

The return 1/3 of the hike is definitely on the high end of moderate with the steep uphill climb, but totally doable. I went after a week of rain, so about 40 yards at the bottom at lake level were more creek than trail, but relatively easy to hop in most places. Horse poop at the top and accessible water at the bottom were a tad challenging to keep my off-leash dogs under control, though.

Sat Oct 29 2016

I rated this Trail low because of all the horse poop, especially on the northern end by the horse ranch. The Goldenrod Trail was less traveled, probably because it's windy and hilly. I didn't encounter anyone on this section when I walked on a Saturday morning. The Branden Trail is nicer and more traveled. The trail felt safe and the people I met were friendly. I went after it rained the previous night and it was muddy, which is to be expected. There are better options for hiking in the area in my opinion and I don't plan to return.