Golden Canyon and Gower Gulch Loop via Zabriskie Point

Golden Canyon and Gower Gulch Loop via Zabriskie Point is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Death Valley, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until April.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,092 feet Route Type: Loop

Experience the beautiful Golden Canyon and Gower Gulch as a loop from Zabriskie Point in Death Valley. Moderate trail through Golden Canyon, Red Cathedral and Gower Gulch. Colorful badlands, canyon narrows and old borax mines are the most impressive sights there. Hike from Zabriskie Point through Golden Canyon to the Red Cathedral by following the markers. From Red Cathedral hike to the Golden Canyon trailhead at the parking area (Highway 190 on Badwater Road). From there follow the trail to the Gower Gulch. Don't turn left or right when you are in the gulch. There are no markers in the gulch. Next marker is at the crossing Golden Canyon Trail and Gower Gulch Trail close to Zabriskie Point.

Great hike with my daughter. Temperature was only 86 so it made for a pretty comfortable hike. Stunning views!

Awesome trek. Was very hot, so take note of the signs - go early and take lots of water. Views were epic. Well marked. Steep at times, but manageable.

amazing views, fun easy hike!

I did this hike starting at Zabreskie Point and heading counterclockwise via the Badlands and then thru Golden Canyon. Then I looked back via Gower Gulch trail. Zabreskie and the badlands are amazing. Gorgeous views. The people thin out as you get away from the main viewing point. Check out Manley Beacon view for as a short side trail. I also took the side trip to Red Rock. Nice to find some shade back there and a spot to have my sandwich. Those were my favorite parts. I didn’t love the Gulch part of the trail back, it just wasn’t as scenic as the first half. Still a nice walk but nothing like the badlands section Bring a lot of water! Almost no shade for the whole thing!

Hiked this yesterday (25 March) Supernice trail through Star Wars scenery. It was veeeery hot, so bring a lot of water. Hardly any shadow.

You will appreciate this hike even more if you take the time beforehand to learn about what you are seeing! Go check out an old borax mine before the hike, and understand the topography of the area. I loved the isolated feeling I got in the Gulch. That said, I saw one person on the latter stretch leading away from Zabriskie Point. Absolutely lovely. March temperatures were in the mid-high 70s.

Good trail. Loop is 6 miles

Date hiked: (3/5/19) I spent 5 days in DV and this was the first hike that I did. I firmly believe that this is the best hike in the park. I've done many hikes across the country and I think that this among the top 5 prettiest hikes I've done so far; Grinnell Glacier being on that list ;) That being said, you MUST get here early. I recommend right at sunrise. I started at 7:00am and by the time I finished, the place was crawling with people. I did the loop clockwise starting/ending at Zabriskie's Point. I think this is probably the best way to do it because it ends with the best view. Just make sure to look back periodically because the views change so rapidly and you won't see that same view again (because it's a loop). You gotta do this one!!

A must do hike. Crowds aren’t too bad.

One of the most beautiful trail I have ever done. God is great! Highly recommended.

Perfect length for a morning hike. Views to die for!!

If you want a slow beginning and then a harder but beautiful end, take the trail in a clockwise direction, taking Gower gulch to Golden canyon.

We did this hike first thing in the morning, and had Gower Gulch to ourselves. Golden canyon was so crowded until you get to red cathedral then we had it to ourselves again! By the time we got back to our car at Zabriskie point that parking lot was packed. So go early and hang in there because the whole loop is awesome! It has a little bit of everything-rock scrambling, colorful rocks, high canyon walls, some flat easy walking as well as some ups and downs, and fantastic views!

Hiking and photography.

Absolutely beautiful hike. Decent incline near Zabriski Point. if you dont want to have to start or end you hiking with the heavier incline I recommend starting at the Golden Canyon parking lot and hiking the loop around. The view from Red Cathedral is an absolute must see!

Started this hike from Zabriskie Point early in the morning watching the sunrise bounce off the golden red hills as we made our trip counter clockwise around the loop. Going in this direction the first part of the hike is downhill and the return is a gradual upward walk. We elected to go this way to catch the early morning light on the hills and were glad we did. If you go later in the day you may want to start at the bottom and work your way around clockwise. This way gives a gradual up and my leave you some shadow in the canyons to cool down on your way back. This is a nice loop hike which is on the easy side of moderate. If you don’t mind a few people on the trail I would recommend this trail as the one to take in the area. If you want to be on your own try the in and out Desolate Canyon trail we did not run into anyone.

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Heat was intense but loved the challenge.

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Absolutely stunning. Red Cathedral was amazing especially going the extra half mile or so, and after that it gets even better until zabriske point. The walk through Gower gulch was the "least interesting" part but it featured a mine and some climbing over rocks which was still cool. Do the full 8 mile loop as described on the Death Valley NP official website and you won't forget it.

Wednesday, March 07, 2018

BE FOR-WARNED THIS IS YET ANOTHER TOURIST TRAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Beautiful but not worth the People that are everywhere. I made it down the trail for maybe 20 min and the sound of people was killing the views( Im not much on being around kids and yelling parents). So I left, Death Valley is to Big and the Solitude is a beautiful thing for me. I had just heard so much good of this trail I had to see the hype. This is the Disney of Death Valley Trails especially if you go the length and do Zabriskie Point with it . See my Review on that as well. In fairness TO THIS TRAIL I gave it 1 star because I left and couldnt really see the trail.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Did the full hike from Zabriskie Point to Golden Canyon and back. Took 5hrs in total with the only strenuous part being the upwards hike towards the beginning of Golden Canyon (on the way back). Zabriskie Point offers a hike up to a picturesque view point. Another trail leads into Zabriskie where exploration is as free as can be. Very incredible formations, a museum of geological processes. Parts of the floor are cracked from scorching heat, rather fun to play around. The trail eventually leads to the badlands where the hike up the ridges give stunning views and one can navigate the ridges like intersected highways. This eventually leads to the Golden Valley, with the highlight being Manly Beacon and the Red Cathedral, beautiful natural structures of the desert. The eye adjust to the few shades of colors during the summer, creating an eccentric visual trip. A highlight of 2wd accessible Death Valley.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Breathtaking loop, a must-do if you have some time. Golden Canyon was very well marked. When you get onto the Badlands trail it's fairly well marked with arrow-ed signs for the observant hiker/trail runner. Lots of side canyons to wander into in the Badlands, just make sure to stay aware of your surroundings. I'd suggest a GPX map especially for the Gower Gulch segment if you're doing the loop clockwise.

Friday, January 12, 2018

Great trail, It is very well marked and has some awesome views. Make sure you do the extra mile or so to check out red cathedral.