Gold Mountain Trail is a 12.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Bear City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,854 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

Trail is primarily used by off road drivers. There are a couple spots you you definitely need more than stock clearance and rear lockers are helpful. Half way through there’s a nice V’d rock drop that plays with your mind more than your rig. All in all very fun moderate trail which can be made more difficult if you want it to be. This will also drop you into John Bull. Scenic views of Big Bear Lake and you end up in Holcomb Valley, which is great for camping.

ohv/off road driving

Great fun. We with friends in Jeeps, and would never try this alone. Appropriately rated as hard. We went from Gold Mountain to Little John Bull. The route on the trail description must have been made by hikers as the “Loop” doesn’t exist for off road driving.

ohv/off road driving

First time on this trail. Amazing run with good friends. 94 Jeep Wrangler, 2” lift with 31s, open diff. Mud and water on the trail. Snow on the north side. Needed a tug on one the waterfall as the slick wet rocks and holes stopped my progress should be able to do this when it is drier. Got to do this again.

ohv/off road driving

08 Tundra Crewmax 3" + 1" lift with 35" tires Beautiful day with highs in the 60s, made it up the first obstacle using the far left line, got hung up on second obstacle trying to drive the middle line, ended up going to the left to get up, third obstacle made it up no problems. On the down hill, shaded side of the mountain was full of snow, very beautiful.

ohv/off road driving

Great off road trail. First time wheeling on my used JK rubicon. The Jeep handled all obstacles with only two areas of slight undercarriage scrapes. Jeep has 35’ with a 2” lift and bald tires. Defiantly need a spotter and you’ll be fine. Will do it again.

Hiked to the top, super rocky trail, but great views from the top. Didn’t run into anyone (hiked on a weekday).

ohv/off road driving

Such a fun trail, the sound of bones crushing while you drive over the rocks is awesome. Only a couple technical obstacles nothing to extreme. Easy with 35's, stock doable too.

ohv/off road driving

Good ground clearance is a must. Very nice trail to test you vehicles abilities. Very popular and well traveled. You will meet others on the trail.

ohv/off road driving

I would reccomend this trail to someone with a bit of offroad experience. theres about 4 or 5 technical spots where it takes a bit of work and good driver skill to get thru. other than that the rest is fire trail and is beautiful and scenic.

Good rock climbing!

ohv/off road driving

Made it all the way through with a stock Rubicon but could have used some more clearance in areas, Luckily I ran into a group that let me follow behind and gave me some assistance in some areas. Might try this trail again when I get bigger tires

ohv/off road driving

Did not make it the whole way, but willing to give it another try later.

Hiked it in preparation for Mt Whitney next month. The biggest problem we had was staying on trail because the red line on the AllTrails map was not accurate. The majority of the trail is hiked on the Gold Mountain OHV trail but the “red line” on the map is drawn off the trail. There were several places which caused confusion and took us off the trail a few times when we left the OHV trail to follow the red line on the map. As far as the actual trail, it was very rocky and footing was difficult, especially when hiking downhill. With all the loose rocks, there is a potential for an ankle or foot injury or a fall. Trekking poles are definitely needed because of the uneven, rocky surface and the downhill sections were slow. I rated it a 3 because now that I know to just follow the Gold Mountain OHV trail, I would do it again as a training trail but, I don’t recommend it if you are interested in enjoying the views because most of the time, we were watching where we placed each step to prevent falling or twisting an ankle.

ohv/off road driving

This was a fun, not too difficult trail. I’d say it was on the moderate side of things. It was easily passable in my Rubicon JLU with 3.5” - 37” setup. Went with my buddy who drove his stock height 01’ LandCruiser. The Cruiser managed but had a little difficulty in the larger obstacles. Met up with a few guys in a lifted XJ, Yukon and a stock Rubicon JLU. The stock Rubi was a little challenged but made it, albeit with a little underside banging and scraping. The others made it with no problems. Overall, the trail was in great condition and had a couple really fun rock shelves. We bypassed the bone-yard due to time constraints.

ohv/off road driving

I did this with a bald tires and only used 4WD on two obstacles and I did not air down. I also did this at night and it was a blast!! I would do this again in a heartbeat! 2000 4Runner Limited.

Great views with fun rock obstacles to traverse.

ohv/off road driving

Amazing trail. Difficult for sure. Gold mountain itself is about 4 miles but when you go down the mountain to get back onto North Shore Rd you take Holcomb Valley road and 3N09 trail. That runs you about 8 miles, so 12 miles total. It took me 3 hour and 45 minutes to do the full 12 miles, but we stopped over an hour helping spot and waiting for others to go up obstacles. I made this in a Jeep Cherokee with a 4.5" lift and 33s, no locker. Requires 4wd, recommended grippy tires and a lift. And don't forget to bring a spotter. Super fun overall!

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail! Made it through in a tj with a 3.5 inch lift on 33’s with open diffs a little challenging on two obstacles but defiantly manageable

ohv/off road driving

Excellent trail, took a few hours to get through but well worth it. Tires down and lockers.

ohv/off road driving

Awesome trail!!! My husband and I went out to find a good view point and this did not let us down. Went at night which was a little hairy but all in all a great time. Definitely has some very technical spots but with good spotting and driving you can make it through. We had to take a bypass on one of the obstacles but that was no joke as well. The key is to pay attention and lots of trust!!! Get out there and have fun!!!!

Sat May 25 2019