Goat Trails is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Springs, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 770 feet Route Type: Loop

The Goat Trails are surrounded by many adjacent and connecting trails, including Araby, Garstin, Berns, Wildhorse, Clara Burgess, and Dunn Road. The trails allow access to Bob Hope Overlook, Murray Peak, Cathedral Cove, and the Dunn Road route to Santa Rosa Mountain.

I understand why it’s called goat trailS (plural)...lots of different trails you can take which can be confusing. Overall, great hike with some beautiful views - not too long, not too short. Went with a couple friends and we did the loop in about an hour and ten minutes.

No shade. Quick elevation on a fire road. Pretty crowded trail with dogs and mountain bikers. 3.64 mile loop. 735 elevation. Check this trail off my list. One and done.

Good dog friendly trail. No signage anywhere! Looks to be a public works dirt and rock storage area above the parking area which may soon be a developed residential parcel. Once above the public works piles, the trail maintains a 4x4 ATV width most of the route. There is heavy erosion from July 14 2019 rain storm that brought flooding to area. Many hikers we met all asked which trail they were on. signs would help, but "All Trails" app worked on the entire route. Check it often or, like us, you'll add some distance and elevation. Good in city hike, great views to watch the airplanes coming and going. Add signs and fix the deeper erosion areas this could easily be a 4+ hike.

This is a great dog-friendly trail in PS. It’s stunning right now with all the green plants! It looks like a garden and as soon as it warms up the wildflower blossoms will pop!

A bit barren and slightly boring walk. Quite steep at the beginning and then loops around It was a rainy day but still not very interesting although quite busy with walkers with their dogs

Going up the fire road behind Vons, steep, loose gravel road. You share with off leash dogs, horse riders and lots of bikes. Pleasant hike. There are lots of trails shooting off the road. You can take most of them and end back on the road. There is a Palm Oasis with running water off one trail. Good time!

Was a great hike for the morning before starting your day. I took my husky, Duke, and it wasn’t too long or too short. Pretty good elevation gains also.

Great scenic views of the city and desert terrain. Not too perfect for a hike or a Harder trail run.

This is NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY....Its has been battle through court and they lost.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Trespassing is very, very common. I went from Goat Trails to Murry Peak this morning. I was first at 7am but many seen on return.

Friday, February 09, 2018

Heart pounding climb, but the views are worth it. Make sure you go to Jane's Hofbrau oasis and Eagle Canyon.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Basically, it’s a rocky road- kind of boring The best part was watching the planes line up on the runway as they land at the airport.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Nice trail with a little vertical challenge but nothing extreme. Good views and a nice intro into PS area hiking.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Went during the early morning in August. Was told to bring lots of water...i brought way too much water. It was a nice workout, but nothing spectacular.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

We thought this would be a simple hike along a dirt road but found several off shoot trails that took us further into the mountain including a deep canyon. Our most enjoyable hike of the trip. Take lots of water and of course morning is best!

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Always enjoyable. Some steep bits, but worth the effort. Very well-trafficked and sociable.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Lots of trails, great hike!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Parked in a dirt lot near Vons off of palm hills I believe. 3.3 mile loop and 70% was moderate to intense uphill hiking. Worth the effort for the rad views of the city and mountains. I wouldn't recommend this in the summer as there is zero shade. Took two humans and a small dog about 1 hour 45 minutes to complete with lots of stops for taking photos.

Friday, November 11, 2016

I have enjoyed biking in this mixture of double- and single-track trails for over 15 years. I am writing a proposal to the Trails Management Subcommittee of the Coachella Valley Association of Governments, which advocates for authorizing the use of the Goat Trails. One private owner, a corporation, is based in Chicago Illinois. I have sent a letter of inquiry to them, requesting their assistance in allowing access by hikers and bikers. I have also contacted the Palm Springs planning department to authorize access and trail management activities for the portion of the Goat Trails that are in the city's "Palm Hills subdivision." Another owner is the Bureau of Land Management (the southwestern 2/3 of the trail), who has deferred to the Trails Management Subcommittee and is unofficially supportive of open access to the trails for hiking and mountain biking. A very small portion of the trail system may cross tribal land, owned by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians—however, a land survey would need to be conducted to ascertain the exact location of the tribal land, which is adjacent to the privately-owned (corporate) land. I have also organized an informal club on Strava, the Goat Trails Maintenance Team to perform trash pickup and some minor earth moving to prevent rutting and ravining from runoff. Once the proposal is accepted, the club will be involved in making the existing trails sustainable. Please visit and join the club if you have interest in using the trails frequently. (https://www.strava.com/clubs/Goat-Trails-Maintenance)

Friday, November 11, 2016

luv this trail. do it 5 days a week. great workout.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Good hike and work out, nice views, dog friendly

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

very challenging but wide trail hike great scenery when you reach higher elevation great views of the valley. it was not a marked trail head but its behind Vons gas station easy parking right at the gate. when you get to the end of the trail there are so many options to continue on. you can be there for days. this and bump and grind are my favorites.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

We took a short hike up the trail above the water towers. Not sure why it says [closed], there was a steady stream of walkers, and no transients.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

awesome Trail

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Didn't enjoy The Goat Trails. Almost from the start of my hike there were multiple homeless tweekers milling around, high on meth, yelling and making inane comments to each other and the women hikers. I even was followed for awhile which really scared me because I'm an older female who hikes alone. I had heard that many homeless druggies hang around on this trail system and it proved to be true....at least it was the day I was there. And I just wasn't inspired by these trails. I didn't like the layout; the system from the start seemed disjointed to me. But it is a marginally popular trail system, so to each his or her own as they say.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Not for beginners, your either going up or down and we're talking up to 19 degrees inclines and declines..

Saturday, November 07, 2015

So if you follow my track you will see that i went into an interesting canyon and then came out. The exit point of my hike was a problem, I had to jump a fence as this was on Indian land so I would recommend returning to the start point instead of trying my exit point. pictures are included in my track , good views of the valley. not a difficult hike.

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

I entered from Gene Autry and hwy 111. It's mostly uphill for the first mile or so. I found it to be to strenuous to pedal and found myself mostly pushing my bike. There are beautiful views however and the downhill single tracks are a lot of fun until you hit another steep incline. My adventure ended up at Desert Regional Medical Center. A passing hiker saw I was unconscious and bleeding out. Be careful on the downhills!