Goat Mountain Trail

Goat Mountain Trail is a 9.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oakhurst, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Goat Mountain / Spring Cove Trails On the south side of Bass Lake, Goat Mountain fire lookout is accessible via the Spring Cove Trail (22E18) and the Goat Mountain Trail (22E94). The Goat Mountain Trail begins in the Forks Campground and the Spring Cove Trail begins on the east side of the Spring Cove Campground entrance. It is about two and a half miles between the campgrounds. Both trails intersect in about an eighth of a mile, with another two and a half miles to the lookout. Both offer spectacular views of Bass Lake and mountains beyond. The walk is up hill, so plan for plenty of time and take plenty of water.

A beautiful winter hike with a spectacular view of bake lake and the valley from the fire lookout. The way there was a steady incline with various types of trees, birds, and moderate amount of nats. The hike ended up being about 13 miles long so we had to run back to beat the sunset, which was the funnest part :) I don’t recommend this hike for young children due to the length and incline. We will definitely do it again with less time restraints!

Nice wide trail. Rolling hills with a view of Bass Lake. We only hiked in 2 miles.

The most awful trail in recent memory. We turned back after 1.5 kms due to annoying gnats and the arid environment. While the other reviewers suggested that the views may have been awesome at the top, it would not have compensated for the unpleasant hike. There was nothing of interest in the trail, the pines have been decimated by bark beetles. There are plenty of trails nearby that are substantially better. We decided to head back to Lewis Creek Trail for a more shady and interesting trail.

Bring lots of water, it's a hard hike to the top. Lots of elevation but an amazing view.

This is becoming a favorite !!!!!

Took two trips to find correct trail. Agree bugs pest, small price to pay for such a peaceful trail ..the birds sang entire way..shady rest spots with a relaxing view from lookout. will return.

Great

Easy going, slow inclining trail. There was a few muddy sections to figure out how to cross, but was fun & we were creative. Beautiful views of Bass Lake and our dog loved the trail, mud, bugs, & all!!

definitely be prepared for several large swarms of bugs along the trail. after running through about 5 swarms, i decided to turn back (had to run through them again on the way down). it got to the point where i couldn't breathe without inhaling them and many had gotten into my clothing. nice trail, but the bugs were unbearable.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

This was a great hike and run! We completed it 11.26.16. Hiked up and ran most of the way down just because. My GPS/Run tracker said it was 10.34 out and back

Sunday, November 06, 2016

avoid gnats if you can

Sunday, June 19, 2016

It was a great hike! I went from my friend's cabin so it was about 10 miles. Loved the views all the way up. The gnats were awful though

Friday, March 18, 2016

Got lost like most....it was an adventure tho!

Thursday, October 29, 2015

The trail is very poorly marked... I took a wrong turn a few times, but it is a beautiful trail. There is a lot of hiking before your actually reach a "view" but the forest itself is great. Tip: when you climb up from the trail head you will reach a dirt road in .5 miles, look to your right and you will see the trail.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

I had to hike it on 2 separate days to actually make it to the lookout tower (turn left at the jeep road not right). It is a great work out with beautiful views. Also, I tried the 2 different starting points. I liked the manzanita forest I hiked through from the road start although I think the campground start is slightly shorter in distance.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

I really enjoyed this trail. Great views of the lake and mountains. Moderately difficult at times, but mostly an easy trail. Well marked and well kept. Amazing views from the tower at the top. Looking forward to doing it again.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The trail is confusing as there are many intersecting trails. I took a wrong turn on decent and ended up 4 miles from my car!! Tack on another 2.2 miles if you want to go all the way to the lookout. The view is amazing!! Bring bug spray or a net....the little gnats are BAD. Lots of poisin oak on the lower portion...becareful! I really loved the flow and feel of the trail. If you go in summer go early

Sunday, June 16, 2013

This is a nice single track trail with gorgeous high country views. It is listed as also a horseback trail, but as a rider I would not recommend this for horses. This trail has been used primarily by mountain bikers for years and years and is well known for being a bike trail. The trail is fairly steep with drop-offs and has many blind curves. A wreck with a mountain bike would be serious. There are miles and miles of forestry roads and beautiful single track trails without using the Goat Mountain trail. The trail actually comes out on the forestry road. If you are a mountain biker, this is a fantastic bike trail and will keep you in good shape! It's not an easy one.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Did this trail with my two kids (boy: 12 an girl: 10), in early May 2012. Never made it to the tower. Took a turn left some where and eventually end far away from our vehicle. Long hike but very nice. My boy became a real hiker on this trail. Will probably do it again in 2013, since the world didn't end.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

It's a nice trail if you happen to be up at Bass Lake and have a early morning to spare.