Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Goat Mountain Lookout via Goat Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(98)
Sierra National Forest

Goat Mountain Lookout via Goat Mountain Trail is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oakhurst, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,620 feet Route Type: Out & Back

On the south side of Bass Lake, Goat Mountain fire lookout is accessible via the Spring Cove Trail (22E18) and the Goat Mountain Trail (22E94). The Goat Mountain Trail begins in the Forks Campground and the Spring Cove Trail begins on the east side of the Spring Cove Campground entrance. It is about two and a half miles between the campgrounds. Both trails intersect in about an eighth of a mile, with another two and a half miles to the lookout. Both offer spectacular views of Bass Lake and mountains beyond. The walk is up hill, so plan for plenty of time and take plenty of water.

go early. completed 4/19/20. due to Corona many people are hiking more. My family and I started at 8ish. Saw only 3 mtn bikers near the top. Ran into people on our way down but not bad. Not a busy trail. You hike about a half mile up a service road to start. Then you will see a trail going uphill on your right. that's the trail which is about 2/3 of your hike. After the trail you will be back on a service road. keep to your left and follow the road to the top. My pups only had one tick on her. I got creative and took a small bottle mixed with her tick flea shampoo and water and sprayed her ears and under belly before we started. worked great. Not my favorite hike but it was nice to have the trail to ourselves. I would do this hike in winter and spring...not a summer hike. would be too warm with no water souces

Not much of a view but it's still a great workout!!

Lots of ticks. LOTS of ticks. Have pulled over 20 off of my dog so far... pretty hike though.

Good low-end moderate-difficulty trail. Perfect weather. Saw 3 people all day. Lots of fallen trees, but not a problem. Relatively gentle grade the whole way. Great views regularly..

1/20/20. Just finished this trail and I feel like the hard rating may be scaring some off from doing this trail. I would say moderate is more accurate. This was a fun hike, with good views of the Bass Lake area. The trail is in good shape and easy to follow. The summit view is somewhat obstructed by trees, but still had decent view of the lake, valley, and high sierras. The summit is pretty wide open with a picnic table to enjoy lunch. I would recommend this hike to anyone looking to work up to a higher mileage hikes. This one is good year round as it had decent shade and wasn’t too cold even in January. The first mile is on a fire road. The first mile was snowy, wet and muddy. Just had to walk carefully to keep my feet dry. At about a mile head right at the trail marker onto a single track trail with a steady but manageable incline. The single track had no snow and was in great condition. The final 1.5 miles was on an easy fire road to the lookout tower at the summit. Only saw a few other hikers and mountain bikers on the trail.

Nice forest setting with a decent climb to the top, but not too tough. The views were actually a little better while climbing up than at the very top. Only saw a few other people, overall a very peaceful trail (in December).

I suggest anyone with an intermediate hiking level try this. it's beautiful in the winter! it's Xmas even and I couldnt picture a better day for this. once you get off the fire road onto the single track mtb trail the peace truly begins. it 5 miles to the top and 100 percent worth ever step

Not a lot of parking at the trail head. The hike gains a lot of elevation and some of our group dropped out half way up. Be on the lookout for poison oak. The trail is easy enough to follow, but there are a couple trails/roads that branch off, so just try to stay on the right one...All Trails app helped keep us on course. The view from the top was nice but not spectacular. The lookout tower is shut, so you can go on the stairs, but not in the actual building. We found a geocache, near the tower. Cell tower is nearby so we had perfect cell reception the whole time (AT&T)

Wed Apr 24 2019

Hiked today (4-23-19). There are some trees down on the trail but nothing to hard to get over, under or around. There is a lot of poison oak coming up along the trail and there were a lot of face flies. Very annoying. I did see fresh bear tracks in one spot but did NOT see one. It’s a very nice hike.

Tue Apr 02 2019

Completed 3/31/2019. Wear tick repellent. They are out and HUNGRY! Don't follow the road all the way. You will end up at the lake. When you see brown trail markers on your left and a hill sloping up to the right, find the trail markers on the right. They are covered with bushes and you can't see them coming in. Pass through the gate and walk a little ways. You will see a clearing to the left and some logs in a perfect long line almost pushing you to keep going down the road. Climb over them and keep going. They are purposefully blocking the lookout road. Once you pass this section the trail is more visible. The lookout was locked, but still had a stunning view of snow peaked mountains and the lake below. May do this one again now that I know where I'm going. Lol!

Sat Mar 30 2019

Good challenging trail. Not well marked, but relatively easy to follow. Lots of downed trees right now, but volunteers are working hard on it.

Sun Sep 30 2018

My wife and I hiked Goat mountain trail yesterday. We just moved to Oakhurst and wanted to try something different than going into Yosemite. We thought this would be a nice change. We started at the green gate where the app told us the trail begins. We missed the first turn to take you up the mountain, so we had to backtrack about a quarter mile. The trail goes through lots of forest land with occasional views of Bass Lake. It finishes after a steep incline to a cell tower at the top of Goat Mountain. It's always nice to get out, in the early fall but here are my complaints about this hike. The trail is not very well marked. We ran into a pair of mountain bikers who weren't sure they were at the right place either because the trailhead was not marked. It wasn't until we finished that we found out we could have shaved off a couple of miles by parking at The Forks Resort. Second, the end was a little anticlimactic. After 9 miles we were expecting something spectacular, it was a nice view from the top of the mountain, but I think we were expecting more. Finally, there were tons of gnats all along the way. Very frustrating to be hiking and have to swat at bugs from getting in your face, mouth, and eyes. Granted, it's outside, but definitely something to be aware of ahead of time. Overall, not a bad experience, just nothing to write home about with all of the opportunities in the Oakhurst area.

Sat Aug 04 2018

I’d like to do this again next time I’m on this side of the states just because the smoke from the fires is real and I bet the views are even more amazing than what we did get to see, which were still great. The gnat pockets are real, but that’s nature. We parked at the start coordinates and recorded at 10.1 mi for us. Took just under 5 hours at moderate pace and while out of shape.

Sat May 12 2018

My Wife and I took the trailhead from just past Millers Landing going towards The Forks. The hike overall was great but we did not quite make it all the way to the lookout as it was late in the day and the trail had not been cleared from the winter. The trail markers were not great so be sure to upload this app before you go. We went approximately 2.5 miles up the gradual but fairly steep narrow trail, climbing over multiple fallen trees, and through narrow patches that seemed almost unused for years. 5.0 miles round trip including a picnic lunch at a clearing about 1.75 miles in, at a leisurely pace took approximately 2 hrs., winds were kicking up and clouds moving in so it was time for a shorter hike around Rocky Point then a few pints of the local brew at Miller's Landing, Overall a great hike and a great day at Bass Lake ..

Wed May 09 2018

It is a must-do mountain biking trail whenever you are in the area.

Sat Apr 14 2018

Very enjoyable hike featuring views of Shuteye mountain

Mon Feb 26 2018

Perfect Sunday hike. Subtract .4 miles from our total due to initially missing the initial right turn up the hill. There was a lot of snow going uphill but was not difficult to walk through and most had melted on our return down the hill. I would rate this hike as easy due to the very gradual climb out to the watch tower. 10.3 total.

Mon Jan 15 2018

A beautiful winter hike with a spectacular view of bake lake and the valley from the fire lookout. The way there was a steady incline with various types of trees, birds, and moderate amount of nats. The hike ended up being about 13 miles long so we had to run back to beat the sunset, which was the funnest part :) I don’t recommend this hike for young children due to the length and incline. We will definitely do it again with less time restraints!