As of 04Jul2018 trail is STILL OPEN!

While on my hike, I actually encountered a few engineers on their miniature trolley thing and they warned me that they are going to close down the trail in "a few weeks". I quote this because apparently from what the locals have told me, the engineers have been saying this for a long while now. I still encourage everyone to go though! If you are going to start your hike before 8am (you can park your car at the resort for a small fee starting at 8am) I suggest you park your car on the small dirt patch that is less than 1/2 mile from the resort. It'll be on the right, and if you don't park like a fool you should be able to fit three cars.

I started on the trailhead at around 7:30am and brought 3 L of water. Ended up drinking only 2 L. It was very hot and dry and by midday the temp was at around 91°F with a slight breeze. I finished the hike in about 5.5 hours. Make sure to bring a wide-brimmed hat, headlamp, plenty of water, snacks and something sweet to keep your blood sugar up on these hot days. Know the signs of heat exhaustion before going out on this hike! There is very little cover on this trail. The only shady spots you'll encounter are in the train tunnels, especially if you start later in the day.

Walking along the many trestles was a lot of fun. When you get to the actual Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge you'll see two flimsy chains on either end. Hop scotch on over and enjoy the view!

Great hike and a true gem among the many hikes to explore in and around San Diego.