Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge via Carrizo Gorge Road

Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge via Carrizo Gorge Road is a 19.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jacumba, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking.

t is possible to start out at the De Anza Resort. You drive up to the gate, buzz in and tell them you want to park for the trailhead. Then you drive to the office sign in and pay $5. If you didn't particularly want to pay to park at the resort you can check the few parking spaces on the county road under I-8. Its a well maintained dirt road.

This is a great scenic hike. It's mostly flat, but that doesn't mean it's easy. The surface is pretty uneven, so if you're prone to knee or hip pain, you'll want to pack some pain reliever.
I know people bring their dogs on this trail, but I wouldn't recommend it. This trail is NOT dog friendly.
There are 10 tunnels on the way to the trestle, one of which is a half mile long. If you don't like being in confined spaces or the dark makes you uneasy, I would find a different route to take to the trestle. There are also 7 large trestles and 2 small trestles that you must cross to make it to Goat Canyon.
If you'd like to read my full write-up, including the history of the "Impossible Railroad," check out my blog: pinkhathiker.wordpress.com.

Nice and hard hiking

This was my first time hiking Goat Canyon Trestle
We parked at the Nudist Resort. It’s 5.00 per person. She takes a photo copy of your licenses.( It made us feel safe knowing someone knew where we were. Because once you reach the resort you loose cell phone service for the whole hike)
Just note that on the weekends they open at 8:00am. She was super nice and lead us in the right direction to the trail.
As everyone noted it’s a long hike! We hiked 15.6 miles. Luckily it was a beautiful fall day, and perfect weather. We passed through tons of tunnels, some were short and some were long....so bring a flashlight.
We also saw bridges and abandoned graffiti train cars that you can explore. Super fun to take pictures.
I’m a little afraid of heights, some of the bridges that you cross were a little scary for me. But I️ just took my time.
I have to admit I️ was a little intimidated by the length of the hike. But it was actually one of my longest and most fun hikes!

Love this trail much fun lol , other than the nudist omg

This is an awesome hike and very easy as far as being flat, but I actually like hiking in the heat if I have the proper amount of water to cover the hike which I did. Recommend parking at the nudist resort (yes I said nudist resort lol) it is 5$ to park in the property and you start the hike about 5 minutes from the train tracks and you also have a piece of mind knowing that your car is not just left on the side of a road unattended for the next 6 hours or so, slap saves you about 3 miles. The hike from my car and back was a total of 16 miles and I didn't see anyone, so keep in mind I also did it during a week day and it was also July 19th and it was a nice 100 degrees out, not recommended for someone alone unless your used to hikes by yourself. There also is no cell service during your hike, but when I finally got to the trail trestle I got one bar on my phone so I text my family and have an update. :) I only saw two very large mountain goats that were coming out of one of the tunnels, keep in mind you go through several tunnels and you have to have a flash light, simple phone flash light won't cut it. If your creeped out by dark secluded places then don't go. lol I guess when your alone it's worse, nothing like being about a half mile in a tunnel and hearing little creeks and other sounds lol. When I finished I was excited to have seen the oldest and only one of a kind trestle in the world, other then the trestle I would have not hiked 8 miles out in the high heat just for fun lol. Overall it's awesome desert mountain views and you also can explore the several abandoned passenger cars. If done in cool weather it's a long but flat hike that would be good for all ages so long as distance isn't your factor. Ok that's my take on goat canyon! Have a safe and great hike! Just ensure the three most important things I felt to have was plenty plenty of water, snacks and a good flashlight!

Not very difficult. Follow google maps to the shell station then turn right to go down dirt road to which you will enter De Anza trailer pro which, yes, is a clothing optional community. Follow signs to the office. She will guide you from there after paying 5$.

I started early at 8:45am on a Saturday and was back by 5:30 pm. Saw maybe 3 other people. I hiked well past the last Trestle past the other parking lot so it took me a little longer. All in all I did 21.7 miles. 96 degrees and was not bad. It's not difficult bc it's so flat and soooo beautiful and quiet but is as long as you desire it to be.

Bring lamps. Water if your nutrition isn't adequate. I didn't see any snakes but others have noted otherwise.

Amazing, beautiful, stunning, silent, peaceful...hike. Highly suggest.

Amazing Hike through Beautiful Terrain!

We end up hiking 14 miles, because we started at the Resort trail head. I highly recommend parking there, it costs $5 a person but puts you right at the first train. Awesome trail with lots to see. Bring a flash light for the tunnels, not only because its dark but so you can see rattle snakes if they decide to hide out in the shade. For the first few miles there is no shade so wear sunscreen! Overall a must do hike!

This is truly an awesome adventure and I recommend it without reservation. I choose to mountain bike this because I am lazy.

I started out at the De Anza Resort. You drive up to the gate, buzz in and tell them you want to park for the trailhead. Then you drive to the office, see a few naked people, and sign in and pay $5. I didn't particularly want to pay to park at the resort but the few parking spaces on the county road under I-8 were taken by the time I go there. So I sucked it up and paid, saves a little bit of distance and gives you some peace of mind about your car. Also, I've read some reports that the dirt road is really bad and you need high clearance, but that was not my experience at all. Maybe those reports were for the northern trail head for the bridge, but my Prius had no problems, its a well maintained dirt road.

Mountain biking this trail requires you to get off your bike a few times and cross the tracks and hike-a-bike through small sections of loose rock, but it wasn't enough to be a chore.

BRING A FLASHLIGHT AND/OR HEADLAMP, SPARE TUBES - I caught up to and passed a father and son who were biking the trail on bmx bikes, which seemed to be working for them, although not the greatest for this ride. Anyway, I passed them right before a long tunnel and they didn't have lights, a few minutes in I heard a crash and went back, the kid had run into on of the many large stones and popped his tire. He was fine, no scratches, but that was it for them. I carry two spares in my pack but they are 26ers, so it wasn't going to work for them. I made sure they had enough water and food and continued on. But in the 10 or so tunnels, two get very dark and have some debris to look out for, most of the others are clear. Just be aware and go slow if you are on a bike.

Going to the trestle is a slight downhill, so coming back you get a bit of an incline but it is hardly noticeable. Bring lots of water, sunscreen, and a hat because there is little shade, even early in the morning.

My total mileage was just under 14 miles round trip and just under 3 hours and that was with lots of stops for pictures.

Overall, this was a great experience and you should get out and experience it before it gets too hot.

Totally worth seeing... Mostly single track that parallels the rail road. I would def recommend taking a spare inner tube as there are rocks, gravel, wood etc on the trail. Round trip from the trail head to the HUGE wooden bridge was 14.6 miles. Also make sure to bring a flashlight as the tunnels are fairly dark. Overall great adventure.

Easy hike, but lots of other hikers and Mountain bikers. Over all a must see.

Make the drive down to the 8 overpass from where the app suggest you start, it will save you a few underwhelming miles. Overall, an outstanding hike but come prepared...

Completed this hike today at 3:11PM and racked up a whopping 18 RT hiking mileage. It's not 15 RT hiking, like other individual indicated because if you start under the I-8 freeway bridge, it is actually 9 miles to the massive Goat Canyon Trestle after the last train tunnel. Although the entire hike is flat, the long RT hike back takes a toll on your legs and feet, but all good.

so much awesome! no one out there. epic views.

An Epic and Spectacular hiking adventure. Unlike anything else in SD. Nearly 15 miles round trip if you go to the Goat Canyon Trestle ( if you park on Carrizo Gorge Rd just outside the nudist resort).

Prepare for abandon rail passenger cars in a post-apocalyptic type setting. On the way out you will cross over 9 other smaller trestles as well as several tunnels, two of them over a quarter-mile in length. (It's kinda spooky in there so don't hike alone.)
This trail is long but flat and relatively smooth.
It can get real hot but not when I went on a December morning with a max temp of 65 all day, perfect for this hike. Don't go out in the Heat!
#ALLTRAILS

Monday, November 16, 2015

Great hike one of my favorite places to go so peaceful. Had to park by the water tower though was in a rental car, and couldn't get closer. Had to walk 15 miles out and back worth the trip bring water and good shoes though

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Tremendous display of flowers this time of year.