Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge via Carrizo Gorge Road

Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge via Carrizo Gorge Road is a 19.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking.

t is possible to start out at the De Anza Resort. You drive up to the gate, buzz in and tell them you want to park for the trailhead. Then you drive to the office sign in and pay $5. If you didn't particularly want to pay to park at the resort you can check the few parking spaces on the county road under I-8. Its a well maintained dirt road.

This is truly an awesome adventure and I recommend it without reservation. I choose to mountain bike this because I am lazy.

I started out at the De Anza Resort. You drive up to the gate, buzz in and tell them you want to park for the trailhead. Then you drive to the office, see a few naked people, and sign in and pay $5. I didn't particularly want to pay to park at the resort but the few parking spaces on the county road under I-8 were taken by the time I go there. So I sucked it up and paid, saves a little bit of distance and gives you some peace of mind about your car. Also, I've read some reports that the dirt road is really bad and you need high clearance, but that was not my experience at all. Maybe those reports were for the northern trail head for the bridge, but my Prius had no problems, its a well maintained dirt road.

Mountain biking this trail requires you to get off your bike a few times and cross the tracks and hike-a-bike through small sections of loose rock, but it wasn't enough to be a chore.

BRING A FLASHLIGHT AND/OR HEADLAMP, SPARE TUBES - I caught up to and passed a father and son who were biking the trail on bmx bikes, which seemed to be working for them, although not the greatest for this ride. Anyway, I passed them right before a long tunnel and they didn't have lights, a few minutes in I heard a crash and went back, the kid had run into on of the many large stones and popped his tire. He was fine, no scratches, but that was it for them. I carry two spares in my pack but they are 26ers, so it wasn't going to work for them. I made sure they had enough water and food and continued on. But in the 10 or so tunnels, two get very dark and have some debris to look out for, most of the others are clear. Just be aware and go slow if you are on a bike.

Going to the trestle is a slight downhill, so coming back you get a bit of an incline but it is hardly noticeable. Bring lots of water, sunscreen, and a hat because there is little shade, even early in the morning.

My total mileage was just under 14 miles round trip and just under 3 hours and that was with lots of stops for pictures.

Overall, this was a great experience and you should get out and experience it before it gets too hot.

Totally worth seeing... Mostly single track that parallels the rail road. I would def recommend taking a spare inner tube as there are rocks, gravel, wood etc on the trail. Round trip from the trail head to the HUGE wooden bridge was 14.6 miles. Also make sure to bring a flashlight as the tunnels are fairly dark. Overall great adventure.

Easy hike, but lots of other hikers and Mountain bikers. Over all a must see.

Make the drive down to the 8 overpass from where the app suggest you start, it will save you a few underwhelming miles. Overall, an outstanding hike but come prepared...

Completed this hike today at 3:11PM and racked up a whopping 18 RT hiking mileage. It's not 15 RT hiking, like other individual indicated because if you start under the I-8 freeway bridge, it is actually 9 miles to the massive Goat Canyon Trestle after the last train tunnel. Although the entire hike is flat, the long RT hike back takes a toll on your legs and feet, but all good.

so much awesome! no one out there. epic views.

An Epic and Spectacular hiking adventure. Unlike anything else in SD. Nearly 15 miles round trip if you go to the Goat Canyon Trestle ( if you park on Carrizo Gorge Rd just outside the nudist resort).

Prepare for abandon rail passenger cars in a post-apocalyptic type setting. On the way out you will cross over 9 other smaller trestles as well as several tunnels, two of them over a quarter-mile in length. (It's kinda spooky in there so don't hike alone.)
This trail is long but flat and relatively smooth.
It can get real hot but not when I went on a December morning with a max temp of 65 all day, perfect for this hike. Don't go out in the Heat!
#ALLTRAILS

Monday, March 28, 2016

Monday, November 16, 2015

Great hike one of my favorite places to go so peaceful. Had to park by the water tower though was in a rental car, and couldn't get closer. Had to walk 15 miles out and back worth the trip bring water and good shoes though

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Tremendous display of flowers this time of year.