Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge via Carrizo Gorge Road

Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge via Carrizo Gorge Road is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Titus, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking.

It is possible to start out at the De Anza Resort. You drive up to the gate, buzz in and tell them you want to park for the trailhead. Then you drive to the office sign in and pay $5. If you didn't particularly want to pay to park at the resort you can check the few parking spaces on the county road under I-8. Its a well maintained dirt road.

10 minutes ago

This trail appears to be officially dead, if you want to get a look at the trestle you are going to have to do it for Mortero Palms and view it from Anza Borrego property.

The tracks leading to it from both ends are part of the Pacific Imperial Railways right of way through Anza Borrego State Park. I think you can still legally get close enough to see it, you just can't go into the 100 yard right of way of the rail company.

Easily one of my favorite hikes I've ever done. Definitely one of a kind! If you're nervous about the distance, don't be. The other trails to get to the trestle might be shorter, but they require a lot of scrambling and don't feature all the graffiti trains and tunnels. We walked through 13 tunnels one way!

The walk was flat and easy and completely worth all the views. $5/person is worth it to park at the nudist camp. They're all nice people and not creepy- promise. Use great care when playing on the trains and the trestle, but don't make any more excuses for not going. You'll love it.

Fun fun fun!!!

Fun fun fun!!!!
No problems as far as being stopped by patrol.
Parked at DeAnza, paid 5 dollars EACH. It's getting hot, so if heat is an issue, I'd wait until it cools down.
Headlight, flashlight, and a lot of water. I have 3L camelback and two bottles and drank all of it.
Really interesting trail, with a lot of photo ops, so keep your camera ready!!
If you are afraid of heights, prepare for some adrenaline rushes as you cross bridges, but so much fun, you'll want to push on!

This hike was a lot of fun! Went on Saturday, temps were high, but manageable with shady parts, and the tunnels were nice and cool. Completely flat trail, but fairly long in the heat. Bring flashlights/headlamp for tunnels, but make sure to look up and check out the cool bats! We didn't run into anyone saying we were trespassing, and there are definitely no signs, still a clearly marked trail. We were charged $10 to park, which I thought was odd, but all in all, a great hike!

Hey does anyone know if the trail is closed yet and how would you be able to find out ?

Thanks , hoping to go this Sunday :)

A nice trail! but in a wrong weather - 90 °F with no shadow during the walk - I started at 9:30am and returned around 1:30pm because I played drone there... I would say hiking in June is really not a good idea, lol. I parked my car at Deanza Springs Resort with paid $5 registration fee in the office. Don't forget to bring your headlight because some tunnels are dark and long, don't forget to bring enough water and don't forget to start your hiking early when the weather is cool. Enjoy!

Great walk! We started a little before 9 AM so the hike there was fairly cool, but the way back was brutal sun/heat. Definitely bring lots of water! Echo what other posters have said below- the construction crew told us the trail would be permanently closed in 2 weeks and anyone walking would be cited for trespassing. Recommend getting this in before it’s gone.

Also- bring a flashlight! Some of the tunnels are very dark and you need to watch for possibility of snakes (we didn’t see any).

Get it while you can. Crew working on tracks said within 2-3 weeks everything will be off limits due to explosives, rebuilding and ultimately tracks put back to use. Well worth the trek.

Hot but Beautiful

Such a fun trek! Long, but well worth the activity along the way. Bring lots of water.

awesome hike but take lots of water. There is not a lot of shade on the trail. Perfect for groups and family's.

Great walk and not too crowded. The common trailhead is inside De Anza Spring Resort ($5/person) but there are 3-4 free roadside spots on the north side of the I-8 on the dirt road. Don't park by the gas station and subway, that's 2mi away on a boring dirt road with trucks flying down it. That's an extra 4 (boring) miles you'd have to do.
The hike itself has ZERO elevation, the spikes you see are for goal trails on the side of the tunnels, don't take them and instead enjoy the shade of the tunnels. Do the hike to the bridge quickly then take photos of everything when coming back.
Hike in: 2hrs // Hike out: 3hrs (photos and slower pace)
It's a cake walk, we didn't even drink any water until we had lunch at the bridge.

The coolest

My boyfriend and I are not avid hikers. We don’t have walking sticks or gigantic camel backs and we LOVED this hike. Our first big hike and we survived! We parked at De Anza Spring Resort, which FYI is a nudist resort, but I only saw a couple of old naked guys. It cost $5 per person and opens at 8- totally worth it.

We started hiking at 9am and returned at 4:30pm. We stopped twice for snacks and took a decent amount of pictures. It is a very flat hike which we appreciated. We drank around a liter of water each and brought lots of snacks. Definitely bring a flash light since some tunnels are dark. We also noticed that rattle snakes like to hang out near the entrance of the tunnels so be careful. Overall it was a great hike with many things to see!!

P.S If you’re afraid of hikes this might not be the hike for you. We saw a poor person crawling across the old bridges and holding on for dear life.

Flat trail with not much elevation gain but the views are AMAZING. Being a city guy, I come hiking to recharge. The abandoned train cars are whimsical and something fun to look at. The bridges are wooden and rickety but sturdy enough to hold my 270 pound frame. There are 2 long tunnels which require actual flashlights or headlamps. CELL PHONE FLASH LIGHT IS NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH. Many other small tunnels which you don’t need a flash light. And the world famous Goat Canyon Trestle!!! Sturdy, long, and made of wood. Great end to the hike. Lots of people stopped there and ate lunch then turned around. All in all it was a shade over 14 miles round trip of you parked at the De Anza nudest resort(yes you read that right). I drank 4 liters of water on this trip. Starting temp was 70. Ending temp was 91. Walked for 5.5 hours. This is a great hike. Easy to follow. Take lots of pics because the railroad was just purchased by an investment group out of Baja, Mexico who want to use the railroad again.

Watch out for naked people. Great ride. Breathtaking.

it was nice day to hike this flat and long 16 miles Trestle along with fellow hikers.

We hiked from Mortero canyon road off of S2 to Deanza springs resort in Jacumba about a week ago. We almost made it to the tracks near Dos Cabezas mine. The two wheel drive small car almost made it all the way to the tracks but we still had to walk some of the dirt road to the tracks. Our total miles for the trail was 17 miles. We didn’t leave until midday but thanks to the clouds it wasn’t too hot. What a great hike. Flat but exciting. Some beautiful desert walking. We did not arrive to the resort until after dark but thanks to the tracks we didn’t need headlamps. After our hike we found the bar at deanza resort was open. We went in for a naked burger and a beer. Oh my god what a great time we had. Everyone was so nice. We party like rock stars and ended up camping. We loved it so much I applied for the bartending job. Highly recommend this hike and the resort. I think it was like $8.00 for us to camp at the resort that night. But know the Bar and restaurant are only open Thursday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Not open Monday through Wednesday.

To start, this is an awesome hike! It is such an awesome experience going through the tunnels and observing the ruins of trains, tunnels, and work equipment along the way.

We decided to start from De Anza Spring Resort (nudist resort). When you get to the gate hit the intercom button and they will let you in. You will then drive 5mph to the office. Follow the signs and you will find it. It is $5 per person and they will need a copy of each person drivers license. From there you will head back towards the entrance gate to park and you will see rocks lined up and outlining the trail to the railroad.

Once you get to the railroad, take a right (away form the freeway) and follow the train tracks until you reach the trestle.

We decided to go through all of the tunnels, so our elevation gain was approx 2,000 ft. You could easily add distance and elevation gain if you go around the tunnels (there are trails, not sure on the quality).

Make sure on the hike you bring plenty of water, a bright flashlight or two, and comfortable shoes. This is not a good hike for warm weather and we found it very enjoyable right after the rain.

Another recommendation, as you see all the ruins and cool things to check out, do it quickly on your way out, then when you are on your way back, spend more time checking out and taking pictures. If you spend too long looking at this stuff on the way out, it is very possible to end up walking back in the dark.

Finally, after the hike we started researching the history and there is so much cool stuff to learn about. Might be worth learning the history before hand so you can understand the different ruins you are seeing.

Enojy, this is a long one, but so many unique experiences that I will never forget. This is on the top list for hikes.

This was a great 15 mile out and back trail. The day was Beautiful, but we started late. On the way back to our car we encountered killer chilly winds. Depends on what side you enter, be prepared to scramble over rocks to get through tunnels. Overall great fun exploring.

Flat hike out through tunnels, and over numerous smaller trestles ending at the large trestle. Beautiful scenery - reminded me of old western movies the way the tracks snake though blasted out rocks. OUSTANDING VIEWS NONSTOP.

There are side trails around most of the tunnels (which appear to have been used for the elevation chart for this hike). They provide more canyon beauty but the trails are over grown with cacti in places and make for a challenging walk around. I recommend taking the side trails around the smaller tunnels.

Entire hike was 9:45AM - 3:30PM (5 hours, 45 min) and included a 30 minute lunch break, lot's of photos and two "walk arounds" of the tunnels.

Park at the Nudest Colony - but the bar is closed Mon - Thursday - so you will need to have post hike beverage somewhere else.

Male, 35 (and female companion, 29)
6', 240 lbs
Fitness level: average
Hiking experience: intermediate
Date of hike: 02/17/18
Pace: moderate
Total time: A little under 5 hours (app clocked us at 4:43 movement time)
Weather temp: 39F when we left by 9am, 68F upon returning to our car by 3pm

Ok, so I'm on the chubby side and we finished this hike in under 5 hours (movement time). This hike wasn't really that hard. The only thing that bothered me was my bum ankle from an old hockey injury, but other than that, it's not very demanding on cardio as long as you are not in horrible shape.

I prepared for the worst and was carrying a bunch of stuff in my pack that I didn't use at all, including 4 lts of water. I only drank 1lt during the whole trip with little to no transpiration. I should say though, that the weather was nice and cool so that played a big factor in not using up a lot of water. It got a little hot on the way back but it was nice overall.

Other than the obvious preparations for a long hike (water, food, aid kit, etc), I would like to emphasize the importance of wearing comfortable gear, shoes and clothing. It is a very long hike so any little nuisance from your bag, shoes, shorts, socks, underwear, etc that you think it's minor, will start to feel like a huge pain in the ass after a while. So make sure nothing is bothering you before you begin.

This is definitely one of the most interesting hikes around the San Diego area. There is a lot of cool things to see and great spots for photo ops. I highly recommend it.

EPIC! This hike speaks to the mischievous kid inside that wants to explore the abandon trains cars, dark tunnels, and cool bridges that your mom would never let you play on. I felt like I was on my own adult desert ‘Stand by Me’ adventure.
I hiked with two other in shape athletic guys and we did 3 hours out ( with lots of exploring and pictures) and two hours back from Deanza to the bridge.
Great opportunity to face your fear of the dark, heights, tight spaces, graffiti trains, whatever.

What a fun hike, easy but long 16 miles...FYI - De Anza Springs Resort doesn't open until 8am, if you plan on parking there...

It is a long hike, a little bit over 16 miles to be exact. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.

Super cool

Completed this trail for the first time today. The trail is mainly flat, so aside from the distance, I would actually rate this as easy, not hard. It was HEAVILY trafficked by other hikers and bicyclist. There are more than a handful of bridges and tunnels. Some tunnels are approx. half a mile long and dark, so I recommend to bring lighting. The weather was perfect! About 75° today, which is nice for the desert area.
Overall this was an awesome hike with plenty of exploring!

First thing, park in the nudist colony instead of at the gas station. You’ll be thankful when heading back to your car. Go to the office and it’s $5 a person. Well worth it! The trail is flat for the most part, but it’s still a hard trail. Feet and legs are sore! Two tunnels were long and dark so I highly recommend a flash light especially if you’re going just girls. The trestles were not my favorite but I had to cross them. There’s several but the main one was safer to me than the little ones. Once you get to the end it’s worth it. We saw a lot of people on this trail! Weather was in our favor. Take plenty of water and snacks. We took our 50l bag and 75l bags to prep for Havasupai Falls. Overall, we did it and loved it!

loved this trail. so interesting with lots to see and the history of this trestle. loved it.
the trail is exposed the on my shade you get is from the tunnels so start early or check weather when planning.