Learn more

Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge from Dos Cabeza Water Tower

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(36)
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Goat Canyon Trestle Bridge from Dos Cabeza Water Tower is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ocotillo, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 14.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,112 feet Route Type: Out & Back

WARNING: The railroad is now ticketing hikers using the tracks. This trail also crosses into private property. Proceed with caution. NOTE that an SUV, truck or vehicle with the ability to handle a washed out trails is highly recommended.

Left from the end of the dirt road from Dos Cabezas early and finished easily before sunset. Only drank 2 liters of water, but the temperature was in the 60s and low 70s. Quite impressive to see the tunnels and trestles along the way. The elevation gain from that point is only 200 feet, plus a little going around the tunnels that were closed off. I would rate this hike a easy from where we started. Just follow the tracks and you can't get lost. Can't understand why it is rated as hard.

private property

This review is for starting from the water tower at Dos Cabeza. For starters, I think you need an SUV, truck, or vehicle that can handle a pretty washed out dirt road to get to the starting point of the water tower. I parked there and started along the train tracks, which for me made the trail easy to stay on. I was a little worried from other reviews that listed a fair amount of bouldering and hiking over rough terrain, but of the 3 tunnels I had to hike around I could spot trails made by other people who had done so before me, and none of them were too daunting if your fitness level is decent. Pants are recommended due to cacti. I brought some gloves too for that part. Maybe the other reviews were starting from Mortero Palms. I never saw the rope ladder mentioned in some other reviews. Since I went in winter, heat wasn't an issue, but bring plenty of water because the app said my trip was 15 miles. About half of the tunnels I could walk through, and about 3 had to be navigated around. As others mentioned the views were great, lots of beauty, pity about the graffiti. I only came across one other person on my journey and he was on a mountain bike. It was tiring but well worth the trip. Bring a flashlight for the tunnels if the dark scares you. You can sort of see where you are walking if it's light out, but in the middle of the tunnels it's a hard to see. I did not see anyone ticketing hikers, but I mostly obeyed no trespassing signs on the tunnels, when such signs were posted.

two hikes in one, to make a loop. 12.6 miles. GPS is mandatory to find his path. Be ready to climb a bit. A fix rope was installed at a critical point. it was a wonderful hike.

Sat Dec 01 2018

I love the abandoned trains and huge caves

Sat Aug 04 2018

The railroad is now ticketing hikers using the tracks as a walking path. To avoid ticket and heavy fine stay clear of walking the tracks.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Long hike but not able to reach the climax of the hike because the path is blocked off... I do like the tunnels and the fact that it is not crowded... we are the only (3) in the path... one time hike for me...

Sun Jun 17 2018

This trail appears to be officially dead, if you want to get a look at the trestle you are going to have to do it for Mortero Palms and view it from Anza Borrego property. The tracks leading to it from both ends are part of the Pacific Imperial Railways right of way through Anza Borrego State Park. I think you can still legally get close enough to see it, you just can't go into the 100 yard right of way of the rail company.

Fri May 11 2018

pretty awesome hike. start point is next the a water tower. I super highly recommend to drive a truck or SUV to this start point. you'll be driving off a road onto a dirt bumpy pathway for about 1.5 miles. parking is free. you'll go through about 4 tunnels, 2 train cars on the side of the mountain. that's about it. kind of not as exciting from and four to 5 mini trestle bridges the other start point (which I haven't tried yet). the trestle bridge itself is amazing! if youre a daredevil, you can climb through the beams under the track and get some killer photos. bring lots of water and snacks cause 14 or so miles round trip is not easy.

Sun Feb 18 2018

This is not something you get to do everyday. What an amazing experience this trail was along the tracks. We started on the trail by the nudist ranch off of exit 73 on I8. We only did the 7 miles to the bridge and came back. As some of the reviews have mentioned-this is a hike to be respected. Some of the tressels are starting to rot and the tunnels have falling rocks in them. Take plenty of water-and definitely avoid in summer months. The large tressel is amazing but is also showing signs of wear. I would most definitely do this sooner than later. It may not be safe to do much longer. But sooo well worth it.

Sun Dec 10 2017

Although the railroad ties and the rocks of the grade make the walking difficult, the old tunnels and the wooden trestles make the payoff three-fold. The summer is fairly hot, be sure to enjoy this hike in the cool winter months.

Thu Nov 30 2017

Nice long and flat! We started from the nudist ranch. 18 miles round trip

Tue Nov 14 2017

Good Trail, long trail, dangerous bridge. Be careful, definitly not a joke, bring water,flashlights and respect how old everything is.

Thu Sep 21 2017

i really love tus trail

Tue Apr 04 2017

This was a pretty amazing experience! The history behind this journey is one that you should definitely check out. We will do this one again but start from Montero. This is a pretty long hike, all tracks so just be prepared for the terrain. Lots of water I wouldn't recommend this hike in the summer, we went late winter. Enjoy!

Fri Apr 05 2019