Learn more

Glendora Ridge Motorway is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glendora, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.7 mi Elevation gain 1,692 ft Route type Out & Back

Wild flowers

Wildlife

Description
Waypoints (0)

Throughout the year, the forest has seasonal campground closures or closures due to inclement weather or fire. For information on road conditions or recreation closures, please call an Angeles National Forest office or visit the Park's Page for current updates. This is a hiking and biking trail. It can no longer be accessed by vehicle.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (119)
Photos (148)
Recordings (143)
Completed (159)
Vince Su
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
Hiking

Did this today, encountered nobody the whole time there I guessed since the Glendora Mountain Road closure. If you hate walking on asphalt, one way to access this place is through the Colby Trail and then the Upper Colby Trail which then connects to this trail. It made a great workout with the additional length, and some serious elevation gain. The weather was brutal today on Independence Day. You'll suffer if doing this on a cloudless sunny day. The trail itself is wide but not particularly scenic or interesting. It's kind of monotonous and long to be honest.

Kirill Shirokov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 06 2020
HikingClosed

Currently parking is available at 34.163611, -117.838778 and from there you have to hike: the road is closed for motor vehicles.

Sarahi Molina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 08 2020
HikingNo shade

Very easy and relaxing! The views are great! I will definitely come back to do the last bit. I will also bring my one year old and four year old.

View Sarahi's Recording
Sarah Husein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Dec 16 2019
HikingMuddy

Pretty easy hike to the cross, the only warning I have is that on the way back, I scared a bear cub who ran off. Didn’t see a mom around, but it was a reminder to jingle a little louder, sing, or make some noise so they know I’m there.

View Sarah's Recording
Anthony Rios
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Oct 03 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

Easy moderate hike with low grade inclines. Several signs of animal activity. Lots of poop (bear and coyote) and tracks. Found an aggressive rattlesnake just off trail at waypoint 1 and a fresh deer carcass at waypoint 2. Whoever it belonged to was clearly not done with it (eviscerated and but otherwise intact) so that where I turned around because I had my child with me. On the way down I got a picture of cat prints treading over the prints of what I assume was that deer. Beautiful, sweeping views of the mountains on one side and the whole san gabriel valley on the other.

View Anthony's Recording
Raymond Castillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 14 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeScramble

In and back trail. Got views but kinda boring..

View Raymond's Recording
Dsvid Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 18 2019
Hiking

Awesome trail with great views!

Esther Salazar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 04 2019
HikingBugsNo shade

This is a workout/training trail. Not much shade but the views were great. We started this hike at 7:30am. We got down the trail, but missed the trail to the cross. We ended up walking an additional 1/2 mile before we turned back and gave up the search. Luckily one of our hikers hiked up a hill and found the cross. The trail is easy to miss if you do not know what to look for. The trail is narrow and is to the left of the main trail. LOTs of bugs!!! Head netting and lots of bug spray is needed. Spray every part of your body that is exposed. We missed some spots and got bit. The hike back is a butt kicker. If you plan to do this hike in the warmer months, make sure you have lots of water and electrolytes.

Amy Bower
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 17 2019
Hiking

Perfect end of the day hike! We took off on the trail at about 7:30, and the sun set behind the mountain ridge moments later. So we only got 1.5 miles in before we needed to head back before it got completely dark. The views of both the valley between the mountain ridges and the views of the cities are spectacular. The sunset colors are gorgeous, and then the full moon came out to meet us at eye level at the end of our hike. Can’t wait to do it again, and go earlier so we can go further on the trail. There are a lot of bugs/flies, but I don’t really care if they aren’t biting me!

Mac M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 14 2019
Hiking

Glendora mountain road is open as of June 2019.. I couldn’t find the cross so I ended up walking all the way to Vasquez road which was 4.8 miles one way but I enjoyed the extra elevation on the way back. Lots of bugs near the end and middle of this trail so only 3 stars.

View Mac's Recording
Don Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jan 24 2019
Hiking

This is a great hike! And we began under a bright moon... such a stunning introduction to the trail. It's excellent for all skill levels and as the morning sun appeared, panoramic views of the San Gabriel Valley greeting us below. Follow the trail to the end and you'll arrive at "The Cross"... a very invigorating day indeed!

Sam Underwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Dec 31 2018
Hiking

Great views! I didn't do the entire thing; we went 2 miles out and back on 12/26/18. Amazing views of the mountains and over the valley (and even out to the ocean). Not a strenuous track, and great payoff. A+ Parking is across the street (34.17812, -117.84625). I didn't see any private property signs. Road is curvy.

anne baum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Dec 30 2018

I did this hike in the spring it got really hot. There is not much shade. I did it again yesterday with our cool weather. So much better. The views are amazing. Lots of inclines but all in all pretty easy hike. Good family hike!

Campbell McGrouther
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Oct 24 2018

I started from Colby, then went to the helipad and made my way along. What I like about this trail is that you can take the fire road, or a light trial to the sides. You can also head north on many of the ridges and explore some of them, getting a good view of the canyon. At the end you are met with “attack dog” signs, so I doubled back. But as I didn’t have enough food, water or time to go all the way back, I decided to forge my own path down. Not Garcia, but a ridge more west. I ended up in a fancy community, and got a few concerned looks from locals as I wandered out of the water channels. Fun trip though, easily recommend.

Nikki Hernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Oct 22 2018
Walking

The elevation climb on the way back from the cross is the most work you’ll do on this hike. Don’t think children under 5 years old would like this fire road trail? Not much to explore and a bit more work in my opinion for the lil ones in terms of an “easy” hike. Wondering if people follow the Garcia trail down to the a? Since the fire??? Please comment if so.. nice cardio walk.. (Hike is about 8 miles round trip)

Eric Becker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 08 2018
Hiking

To clarify, this trail is NOT CLOSED. However, you can only access it from Glendora Mountain Road or from a hike up the Upper Colby Trail. The Motorway crosses private property between Azusa Peak and the bottom of the hill and the lower entry in Azusa is gated off and not accessible to the general public. You can hike it past Azusa Peak in the downhill direction, but will eventually start seeing warning signs about private property and will need to turn around back toward GMR unless you have permission to pass through from Rancho Vasquez. (I am not sure if this can actually be acquired.) Sweeping views from the ridgeline. Relatively easy hike compared to others in the area if you start at GMR. Toughest stretch is coming back, ascending from Azusa Peak to Glendora Peak, but still a relatively moderate ascent.

Samantha Capetillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 12 2018

I loved this hike! It's mostly uphill but not super challenging. There's not much shade so don't forget sunscreen. We hiked up to the cross but we weren't able to make it to the A. I will definitely be returning!

Felipe Rivera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 17 2018
Hiking

Sunny with great views of the valley and asuza canyon. You can get to the same cross that was accessible from the gracia trail via this trail.

Matthew O'Neal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Jan 10 2018

Went to go hike this today and access road to get there is closed.

Hannah Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 18 2017
Hiking

It was a beautiful hike, the view was amazing (I posted a few pictures). We went from around 2pm to 7pm and by far the best view and lighting was the 5-7pm window. Definitely plan on coming back at some point soon. The only down side was that we had a ton of gnats following us. Especially for the last half of the way there and the first half of the way back. Also, we also saw three tarantulas on the way back, which was pretty awesome (photos shared). Definitely a fun and unexpected adventure! Overall though I highly recommend it.

Frank Tees
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 28 2017
OHV/Off Road Driving

Closed to vehicles. :(

Sarah Catalan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 12 2017

went about 7am and back in a little less than 3 hrs. lots of gnats at the beginning but on my way back they died down. you get that nice secluded feel at the beginning and cool city views for the second half. incline and decline for the first half and most of the incline is on your way back. pretty cool.

Dezirae Lawton-Horovitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 15 2017

moderate to difficult depending on heat. lots of hills and incline little to no shade

Jose Moreno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Feb 22 2017
Hiking

Very nice and peaceful trail. Not very crowded and also if your into seeing wildlife I feel like this is a good trail to do so since it's not heavily trafficked. I've already seen bear tracks and also since it's the angeles forest people hunt here when it's season.

Levi De Martinez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Feb 06 2017
Hiking

This trail is easy and has plenty of great views. It's perfect for a late afternoon hike.

Kyla M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jan 28 2017
Running

Great hike! Beautiful views and perfect if you're looking for a hike that you can run or jog. Not crowded at all.