Glendale Peak Trail

Glendale Peak Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Northeast side of Commonwealth Canyon Drive. Golf course will be to the west. Dirt trailhead is just north of Vista del Valle Drive. To get to the lookout, take a right onto the dirt trail.

Another great day of hiking.
I didn't do the full loop for this hike I started from the trail head near the Griffith Observatory. From there you will cross a small bridge and you'll come to a few trail options. I took the shortest route to top which is pretty much a straight but a steeper climb to the top. There is a number of options on this trail so don't feel like you need to take the way it took. Wish I could load my trail but I left my phone in the car on this one.

Couple tips

1) Get there early. Parking can be tough later during the day and you'll have to pay by the hour. We got there at about 845am and it was already packed
2) Start early in the morning cause there is absolutely no shade on this trail.
3) Bring lots of water if you are going on a warm to hot day.

Super sweet hike right in the middle of our gem, Griffith Park! Gorgeous views for the majority of this hike. It is full sun exposure so be diligent with coverage and sunscreen. Steep incline for the first .2mi portion gets the heart going and, but is literally the roughest bit of the entire hike. This seems to be a less crowded option for those gorgeous downtown skyline and observatory selfies. Once at the top it's no joke....nearly 360* view of all of Los Angeles. Dogs are allowed on this trail, HOWEVER...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be respectful of others and other dog owners on the trail...LEASH YOUR DOG! It's wrong to assume that every dog out on a trail is happy go sociable and wants to play or meet your pup. Also wrong to assume that all people enjoy off-leash dogs running up to them. PLEASE for your dog's safety and the safety of others....respectfully KEEP YOUR DOG ON LEASH.

Incline is something else. Great workout!

Did this hike a few backs. It was nice, nothing special, nothing too challenging. Started this trail from the bird sanctuary and headed up, and I was making my round trip and then I noticed a sharp, nice challenging decline trail cutting the trail in half, but worth the risk at the beginning and then tapered off towards the end. All in all, a nice hike, not very difficult but a good one to check mark, So, didn't take the long gradual decline route and took the shorter intense route but well worth it. Give it a shot, and mark if off.

Oh lord. If you like hiking with 10,000 of your closest friends and then bragging about how you love the outdoors, this is your hike. Yuck

It's amazing that you can have a beautiful, scenic hike in a city this size. We enjoyed this hike.

Saturday, December 03, 2016

Clean trail with lots of variety and dogs.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Loved the views!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Great hike. Starts of level and fairly simple but progresses to steeper incline with a rockier path.

Monday, July 04, 2016

We do this loop several times a week. Tough in summer sun getting up those 4-5 steep sections with my 2 year old in a pack (35lbs) on my back.
Have to wake up earlier apparently.

Many variations. The regular way stays on the wide fire road trail. We clocked 3.7 miles to the picnic table and down.

The hard way and several short but steep ridge trails branch off that main trail. Just take one of the left smaller trails that you pass in the flat section down below. They are all shorter but steeper variations. Think using hands and feet.

Anyway doing this one as much as we do really helps with being ready for any other solid moderate trail that we've tried... It's a good training hill.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Great views throughout to downtown, Glendale, the mountains and the ocean on clear days and a cool little bridge halfway up. Too steep for me to run up but just enough for a challenging hike up and then I could run down.

Lots of branching smaller trails but when you get up top you can see pretty well which ones go where. Nice picnic area and drinking fountain right near the top. I recommend starting by the Greek.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Great hike, pretty crowded but wide enough so not to feel cramped. When you get to the top of the loop, stay to the right for another 1/4 mile or so to get to the top of mount Hollywood. Makes it a 4 mile loop with around 800ft elevation gain.

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Fabulous hike. We went right after a rainfall and it was soooo green!! Gorgeous views as you go. Fairly busy.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Nice hike with great views; there are many ways to access this trail -- their all good

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Great hike - we went all the way to the Hogback Trail and through to the Observatory. It is very steep, and I would rate this part of the trial as difficult, but the views are stunning and worth it.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Did a nice hike to Glendale Peak starting from the Merry Go Round parking lot. Always a good crowd. Nice views of downtown L.A