Glen Alpine Trail

Glen Alpine Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from South Lake Tahoe: Take Highway 89 north approximately 3 miles to Fallen Leaf Lake Road. Watch for bicyclists and other cars on this narrow, one-lane road. Continue until you see the Glen Alpine trailhead sign and turn left. Trailhead parking is across from Lily Lake.

Hiked on Sunday August 12, 2017. Arrived at the parking lot around 9:45 AM and was mostly full. This is a great hike that starts off with a somewhat rocky trail but eventually smooths out. Nice waterfall within first half mile of leaving trailhead. We were amazed how much water there was this year in August! We continued up to Grass lake and stopped there for a rest and a bite to eat. Beautiful setting with another waterfall in view in the distance. Get an early start and enjoy.

Hike to Grass Lake was beautiful, but wandering throughout the day above Grass Lake was really cool. Great views, rocky hiking, and a perfect campsite high above the lake.

Great trail with lots of water. Starts with a gorgeous water fall and leads to different lakes. Views are phenomenal. Mainly uphill all the way to Grass Lake making the trip back a breeze. We took our 4 kids (ages 16,14,7 and 7) and dog and everyone did great. We took the trail to Grass Lake. Out and back the trail was about 7 miles. This trail is about 75% Rocky. I felt like it was an easy-moderate trail. Road leading to trailhead is VERY narrow, making it hard to pass another oncoming car. The road is also in poor condition, a lot of pot holes. We went on a Saturday around 1030am and the parking was scarce.

super fun a beautiful hike! mostly up hill at first but well worth it. we took our dog and there were plenty of watering holes and creeks for him to cool off at. we ended up going to grass lake which was beautiful. there were a few creek crossings. the first one was easy to cross the log, but the second log crossing was a little more difficult as the log was a little higher up and made it a little more difficult for my dog to cross so we just walked him through the creek instead. the water wasn't to cold and was actually really refreshing. The view was beautiful up at the lake and definitely worth the hike.

Rough start since the trail appears to have about 3 inches of water but there is a trail in the bush to the right. After that the trail is nice... took a 10 year old and a 70 year old with us and they all did well.

I've never done the full hike. We only hike to the falls, which is a mile at most (2 miles round trip) It's pretty easy. My mom, who hasn't hiked in almost 30 years, did it without a problem. The beginning of the trail is super rocky (I think it used to be a riverbed), so you just have to be careful with your footing and wear good shoes so that the rocks don't hurt your feet. Once you get to the red FP (fire protection) sign and shed, you veer off trail to the left, and you'll be at the waterfall. It's gorgeous! I highly recommend!

7/15/2017 Hike
Trail starts out as gravelly dirt road and the it becomes more of a real trail and it gets steep after the first 1/2ish mile. Lots of water crossings and had to cross 3 log bridges to cross creeks. We did get lost and missed the left turn (marker is behind a big pine tree) and ended up going up the steep mountain heading to suzie/aloha/gilmore lakes, and added 2 hours to our trek, that took all of our energy. Grass lake was worth every swear word though. The waterfall at the end of Grass lake is massive and although the water was freezing at first, it's tolerable so we took a dip and hung out in the water a bit. Would definitely come back.

This trail has some of the most scenic views in the area with several water falls, rushing streams and snow capped mountains. No bugs. I never made it to Grass Lake since I chickened out on the last log crossing of Glen Alpine Creek. That brings me to why I only gave this trail 3 stars. Like other reviewers, one of my main dislikes was the first mile or so which consists of loose, fist sized rocks which were very difficult to walk on without twisting my ankles. There are also a good amount of smaller course ground up rocks both of which are tough on smaller dogs. The other problem for me was the last creek crossing which requires walking on a rather long fallen tree to get across. I was packing about 24 lbs. and was alone so didn't feel comfortable with the task. Not for chickens if you want to get to the lake and beyond.