Glen Alpine Trail

Glen Alpine Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from South Lake Tahoe: Take Highway 89 north approximately 3 miles to Fallen Leaf Lake Road. Watch for bicyclists and other cars on this narrow, one-lane road. Continue until you see the Glen Alpine trailhead sign and turn left. Trailhead parking is across from Lily Lake.

Rough stone at the start, so wear sturdy shoes. Water had covered parts of the trail on 11/22 making it slow going as we had to hop across stones and logs, or go off the path to avoid the water. We only went for about a mile before turning back because the trail was difficult to navigate with dogs given the flooding.

Awesome Hike. multiple waterfalls, creek and the two lakes.... Very Rocky fir the first mile, two stream log/rock crossings. Grass Lake is beautiful. We clocked 5.7 miles. Old Glen Alpine camp/lodge was great to see. So sad it's no longer operational, but old photos on the scrapbook bulletin board were great to see. Would definately do it again.

Gorgeous hike. Easy climb. Walked across the streams. We saw a sleeping bear on a rock ledge above the trail. The water in Grass Lake was warm enough for a nice dip!! The historical sight with the old springs was pretty cool to check out. The trail is rocky in the beginning. Lots of gorgeous waterfalls!

hiked up to Granite Lake -- beautiful and varied terrain. your dog might need to know how to swim for the second stream crossing past Grass Lake. some cool history at the abandoned resort. I'd recommend boots/shoes even for the waterfall hike since the trail is really rocky for the first mile, though flat. saw a group of hikers with their snowboards!

Beautiful hike! 2 miles in you will reach desolation wilderness territory which requires an annual permit. There are permit forms to fill out are at the information board at the trailhead.

Great hike, a couple of stream crossings. First one is easy, second one more challenging if water is high. Lake with waterfall is worth the hike. Couple of nice waterfalls on the way up.

Hiked on Sunday August 12, 2017. Arrived at the parking lot around 9:45 AM and was mostly full. This is a great hike that starts off with a somewhat rocky trail but eventually smooths out. Nice waterfall within first half mile of leaving trailhead. We were amazed how much water there was this year in August! We continued up to Grass lake and stopped there for a rest and a bite to eat. Beautiful setting with another waterfall in view in the distance. Get an early start and enjoy.

Hike to Grass Lake was beautiful, but wandering throughout the day above Grass Lake was really cool. Great views, rocky hiking, and a perfect campsite high above the lake.

Great trail with lots of water. Starts with a gorgeous water fall and leads to different lakes. Views are phenomenal. Mainly uphill all the way to Grass Lake making the trip back a breeze. We took our 4 kids (ages 16,14,7 and 7) and dog and everyone did great. We took the trail to Grass Lake. Out and back the trail was about 7 miles. This trail is about 75% Rocky. I felt like it was an easy-moderate trail. Road leading to trailhead is VERY narrow, making it hard to pass another oncoming car. The road is also in poor condition, a lot of pot holes. We went on a Saturday around 1030am and the parking was scarce.

super fun a beautiful hike! mostly up hill at first but well worth it. we took our dog and there were plenty of watering holes and creeks for him to cool off at. we ended up going to grass lake which was beautiful. there were a few creek crossings. the first one was easy to cross the log, but the second log crossing was a little more difficult as the log was a little higher up and made it a little more difficult for my dog to cross so we just walked him through the creek instead. the water wasn't to cold and was actually really refreshing. The view was beautiful up at the lake and definitely worth the hike.

Rough start since the trail appears to have about 3 inches of water but there is a trail in the bush to the right. After that the trail is nice... took a 10 year old and a 70 year old with us and they all did well.

I've never done the full hike. We only hike to the falls, which is a mile at most (2 miles round trip) It's pretty easy. My mom, who hasn't hiked in almost 30 years, did it without a problem. The beginning of the trail is super rocky (I think it used to be a riverbed), so you just have to be careful with your footing and wear good shoes so that the rocks don't hurt your feet. Once you get to the red FP (fire protection) sign and shed, you veer off trail to the left, and you'll be at the waterfall. It's gorgeous! I highly recommend!

This trail has some of the most scenic views in the area with several water falls, rushing streams and snow capped mountains. No bugs. I never made it to Grass Lake since I chickened out on the last log crossing of Glen Alpine Creek. That brings me to why I only gave this trail 3 stars. Like other reviewers, one of my main dislikes was the first mile or so which consists of loose, fist sized rocks which were very difficult to walk on without twisting my ankles. There are also a good amount of smaller course ground up rocks both of which are tough on smaller dogs. The other problem for me was the last creek crossing which requires walking on a rather long fallen tree to get across. I was packing about 24 lbs. and was alone so didn't feel comfortable with the task. Not for chickens if you want to get to the lake and beyond.

Crossed the log over the creek just past the Susie Lake / Grass Lake fork. Chickened out crossing over the next log at Glen Alpine Creek. Only about 20 minutes away from Grass Lake - maybe next time

Bring bug spray! Great hike overall.

Fun moderate trail

It was a great trail with a lot of run off cascading down the trail

I suggest waiting till the snow is fully melted and the river currents aren't so strong before you attempt this trail because you have to cross the river and it's extremely full and fast moving as a result increased snow fall this year. We placed logs to get across, but it was dangerous and I don't suggest doing it. Probably best to wait a couple of more weeks. We had to go off trail and made it about half a mile from Grass lake, but felt it was unsafe to go any further.

I love this hike. We do it once a year. Flooded in areas along the trail but still worth it. Water fall is big this year

Great waterfall about a mile up. Swampy after the wet winter.