Glen Alpine Trail

Glen Alpine Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from South Lake Tahoe: Take Highway 89 north approximately 3 miles to Fallen Leaf Lake Road. Watch for bicyclists and other cars on this narrow, one-lane road. Continue until you see the Glen Alpine trailhead sign and turn left. Trailhead parking is across from Lily Lake.

Rough start since the trail appears to have about 3 inches of water but there is a trail in the bush to the right. After that the trail is nice... took a 10 year old and a 70 year old with us and they all did well.

I've never done the full hike. We only hike to the falls, which is a mile at most (2 miles round trip) It's pretty easy. My mom, who hasn't hiked in almost 30 years, did it without a problem. The beginning of the trail is super rocky (I think it used to be a riverbed), so you just have to be careful with your footing and wear good shoes so that the rocks don't hurt your feet. Once you get to the red FP (fire protection) sign and shed, you veer off trail to the left, and you'll be at the waterfall. It's gorgeous! I highly recommend!

7/15/2017 Hike
Trail starts out as gravelly dirt road and the it becomes more of a real trail and it gets steep after the first 1/2ish mile. Lots of water crossings and had to cross 3 log bridges to cross creeks. We did get lost and missed the left turn (marker is behind a big pine tree) and ended up going up the steep mountain heading to suzie/aloha/gilmore lakes, and added 2 hours to our trek, that took all of our energy. Grass lake was worth every swear word though. The waterfall at the end of Grass lake is massive and although the water was freezing at first, it's tolerable so we took a dip and hung out in the water a bit. Would definitely come back.

This trail has some of the most scenic views in the area with several water falls, rushing streams and snow capped mountains. No bugs. I never made it to Grass Lake since I chickened out on the last log crossing of Glen Alpine Creek. That brings me to why I only gave this trail 3 stars. Like other reviewers, one of my main dislikes was the first mile or so which consists of loose, fist sized rocks which were very difficult to walk on without twisting my ankles. There are also a good amount of smaller course ground up rocks both of which are tough on smaller dogs. The other problem for me was the last creek crossing which requires walking on a rather long fallen tree to get across. I was packing about 24 lbs. and was alone so didn't feel comfortable with the task. Not for chickens if you want to get to the lake and beyond.

Crossed the log over the creek just past the Susie Lake / Grass Lake fork. Chickened out crossing over the next log at Glen Alpine Creek. Only about 20 minutes away from Grass Lake - maybe next time

Bring bug spray! Great hike overall.

Fun moderate trail

It was a great trail with a lot of run off cascading down the trail

I suggest waiting till the snow is fully melted and the river currents aren't so strong before you attempt this trail because you have to cross the river and it's extremely full and fast moving as a result increased snow fall this year. We placed logs to get across, but it was dangerous and I don't suggest doing it. Probably best to wait a couple of more weeks. We had to go off trail and made it about half a mile from Grass lake, but felt it was unsafe to go any further.

I love this hike. We do it once a year. Flooded in areas along the trail but still worth it. Water fall is big this year

Great waterfall about a mile up. Swampy after the wet winter.