Glacier Lakes Trail

Glacier Lakes Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Nevada City: Travel east on Hwy. #20 for approximately 19 miles and turn left onto Primary Forest Route #18. Travel north for approximately 5 miles and turn right onto Primary Forest Route #14. Travel approximately 4 miles to the campground. The campground is the closest Grouse Ridge Trail access point to the junction with Glacier Lake Trail.

The road up there was rocky but I made it in a Corolla. I didn’t follow my gps (watch your gps because trails are not too easy to see) very well and ended up visiting Round Lake and Island Lake. Beautiful views and cool places to camp out. We did about 4 miles. I will have to go back and find Glacier Lake.

The snow was patchy and is almost gone.

So...another person wrote about the trail not marked so well. So true...I felt Times we were always looking for the trail...but I think it’s because of the amount of snow still on trail. Plus my phone died and I forgot to track the whole trail. We marked it at 10 miles. My friend tracked it on her phone. All in all...beautiful trail with amazing views. Plus once we made it to Glacier Lake....Awwww just amazing! Will do this one again!

Nice hike. Some of the trail could be marked a little clearer. This one had enjoyable views and the dog enjoyed the water. The drive up to the trailhead is steep so drive slow!

Great and moderate 2 nighter. We started at Carr Lake and spent the first night at Downey Lake (about 4 mi). The second night at Glacier Lake (another 4 mi). Third day back to carr lake via sand ridge trail (6 mi).

Easy trail to navigate with signage provided by an apparent Eagle Scout project a few years ago. Backpacked this on 7/22 and it had a little patchy snow. Nothing to cause issue. Several area to camp a short distance from lake. High exposure during higher elevation portions but as you hike down into the valley, you hike thru a large forested area. No major water crossings to be worried about. Overall, a great hike and gives you the option of hiking past to the Five Lakes area.

Awesome.

How are the trail conditions now? Looking to head up next Sunday and I'm wondering if Granite Lake is accessible.

Craig, plan to head out to Glacier Sunday, would you let us know conditions - specifically whether the trail is passable without snow gear, what percent of lake is iced over , and if there is any bare ground to pitch a tent. Thanks and happy hiking!

I am taking my kids here on Wednesday, looking for an update on Trail and Lake conditions, backpacking into Glacier Lake or 5 Lakes Basin. Will we use the Sand Ridge Trail.

Thanks for the updates!
Craig

We ended up spending our day around Downey Lake, because we heard from others along the trail that the Glacier Lake trail was still impassable due to snow. (1st week of July!) Downey Lake was really beautiful!! Lots of snow coverage still, which made finding and sticking to the trail challenging, but we had a great time crawling over the rocks. IMPORTANT NOTE: The road into this area (Rt 14) is a one lane dirt road, and a pretty rough ride. We opted to take a Ford Explorer over a Mazda 3 for this trip, and I am super glad we did--the higher clearance vehicle made a huge difference. We were not able to get all the way to the campsite by vehicle--too much debris and large packs of snow in the road--we parked along the road edge, as others had, and hiked in--about .2-.3 mi to the campsite and trailhead.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Couldn't reach the whole trail due to snow blockage (it is June!!). However the little we saw was unbelievably beautiful.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great trail!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Beautiful wild flowers along the way. Great views.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

This trail has beautiful views of the Black Buttes and eventually ends up at the base of them at Glacier Lake. You will pass a big meadow and summer snow. The biggest difficulty of this hike is one section near then end getting to the top of a small hill. The rest of the hike is fairly flat or steady incline on the way out. Wildflowers were in abundance and the was an unsual red flower at that hill that liked to grown out of the rocks. Wish I knew more about flowers to be able to tell you what it was. There are also nice views of the Valley, Sierra Buttes, and on a clear day Lassen. The only other lake you pass is a small lake on the other side of the hill, but you can look down into the Five Lake Basin.

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Worth every bit of this trail! We took the sand Ridge trail up and then to Glacier Lake and back via the Glacier Lake Trail. Sat and enjoyed few moments overlooking the Five Lakes Basin and the Sierra Buttes.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Absolutely one for the books! Beautiful views, nice escape from civilization. We did the loop from Grouse Campground to Glacier Lake trail and back via Sand Ridge Trail. Took 6 hours total and we even fit in a 25 min meditation at glacier lake after lunch. The backdrop views were surreal!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Well this not the same Glacier lake but the exact same distance. My Glacier lake is in the Mission Mts in Montana. A easy hike in with lots of mature ripe Huckleberries to pick. But the glacial lake was just gorgeous. Beautiful day today with temps in 70's.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

We hiked up to Glacier Lake from the Carr Lake Campground this weekend and it was absolutely spectacular. We began from the Round Lake trailhead and continued on to the Glacier Lake trail from it. It was quite warm and we saw some other hikers, though not a lot considering it was a holiday weekend. The views from the Black Buttes are incredible, which is awesome because hiking up there was a butt kicker! The reward of Glacier Lake was worth it, though. There are some parts of the trail that are hard to follow due to fallen trees blocking the trail so I would suggest taking a map. Don't be surprised when you come along the sight of cows grazing in one of the meadows you pass along the way. They're wearing cowbells and the sound is startling when you've been surrounded by the natural sounds of the forest for so long!

Sunday, May 06, 2012

Loved this trail. I went last summer and had a nice swim pin the chilly Glacier lake. Also was surprised and amused to see cows grazing up in that area. I first heard their bells and was baffled because even tho it sounded like cowbells I just never imagined to see them there.

Anyway, great hike. No problem with the roads. Lots of lakes along the way including my favorite, Island Lake. Can't wait to get up there again.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016