General Sherman Tree Trail

General Sherman Tree Trail is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 154 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Fun easy walk on a paved trail to see the largest tree in the world!

Easy going down. Mild elevation going up. Worth seeing Sherman tree and the other sequoias.

It was interesting but it wasn’t really a trail and it was too busy.

Easy trail. Gorgeous trees. General Sherman tree is humbling.

For me, this trail gets five stars for the time of year and memories during which I walked it. The tree is impressive, but the whole experience is enhanced if done in snow, which turns this forest into a winter wonderland!

The big tree was neat I guess. Definitely not worth the drive if that’s all you do. Recommend doing some longer hikes in the area and then checking out general Sherman to finish off. Also it was packed which was extremely annoying.

Its a paved walk way with a steep grade but as people have shared it's crowded. It's a tourist attraction walk, not really a hike. It's neat to see the trees, but in general people disrespected nature by going off trails, littering and doing their thing. It maybe best to go early like at 7-8 am when it's less crowded so you can actually take in the splendor and greatness.

Beautiful tree but absolutely not worth the crowds. I don’t think we will include this one on a return trip. In terms of the walk, it’s a pretty good incline which makes for a trek on the way up. Nothing too difficult though and it’s paved the whole way

You kinda have to go on this hike, because general sherman, but it’s not the best. It’s paved and steep, which is fine, but it’s crowded and there are people actually smoking, going off trail and generally just killing the vibe. We saw a bear, which I didn’t think I’d care about because they’re everywhere where we live, but then when I saw it I was all OMG THERE’S A BEAR!!! ❤️

Always a favorite when in the Sequoia National Park! A beautifully maintained walkway down to the tree, with several sets of steps here and there. Go at your own pace, stop and enjoy the many benches along the way, and enjoy the beauty of the forest! Only downside are the crowds...we went Tuesday (Oct 8th) and was still pretty crowded, especially in the line for pictures...going back uphill is a workout, so just take your time, no rush!! The Sherman tree is very worth seeing, don’t miss it!

It was super easy to walk to. Not too busy in October and could enjoy the surroundings.

Busy, but a must-see stop to enjoy the massive trees!

too steep!!

Easy paved trail. Good for old people and lazy hikers. Again the experience is strange because you see trees behind a fence. Really overcrowded with lots of non-respectful people that walk on your steps, push you, make lots of noise. A bad experience overall.

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!!

Easy hike down, steep coming back up. Fun to see General Sherman!

Well maintained - it is paved the entire way and has disability access from below, if required. Information boards with information about the area and the General Sherman tree are along the trail. There are also warnings about the steepness on the way back (which should be fine for most) and they offer spots and seats to stop for the way back up. We combined this with the Congress trail at the bottom.

This was an awesome place to see and worth the trip. We combined this with Congress Loop. Worth the effort. But be warned, the app is wrong on the elevation change. The forest service has signs stating it is a 480 foot climb back to the top. And parts are steep. The trail is paved and well maintained.

Easy but great that it is accessible for many. Super crowded but worth seeing General Sherman and learning about many aspects. Might be too difficult to accesss other sequoia groves so great that it exists.

you can not understand the sheer size until you see it in person. No photo will do it justice. Nice wide paved trail with stairs. elevation was a little hard for me with my knees, so fibro people might have trouble but if you take your time it's worth it. I had to rush a bit because we got thier near sunset.

Crowded but cool

It was a very beautiful walk. The bad news is it's all downhill which means you have to walk back up steps & sloped paths. The good news is you can wait at the bottom for someone to pick you up. It was buggy but not bad.

I usually categorically only give walks a maximum of three stars. This was a walk, no hike in my opinion (despite the 150ft elevation gain). Still, I'm rating it with five stars, because this was just awesome. I got there really early on a Sunday at 7am. I only saw two other people and basically stayed in the Giant Forest in solitude until the crowds arrived around 8.30am. There was just something to this forest which made it extremely comforting to stick around.

Lots of tourists, but very pretty, paved path.

Great experience but lots of tourists.

Beautiful

Paved, but surprisingly steep walk/hike. We started and ended with this hike on our way down to Crescent Meadow. Very quiet first thing in the morning, but extremely crowded when we ended here around lunch. There is a cool paved section that outlines the base of the General Sherman that further demonstrates how big it is. Also saw a bear directly next to the General Sherman that was just wandering doing his own thing. Lots of idiots trying to get closer to it though, luckily no incident.

Great trail that connects to other trails.

Busy especially during federal holidays during the day. Leads to more trails to explore.

very easy but we decided to tack on the Congress trail to lengthen the hike.