Gaviota Peak Trail

Gaviota Peak Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Goleta, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,162 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Gorgeous views of hills, mountains, fields, and Pacific. Lots of great trees and birds. Moderate for climbing up but nothing else particularly challenging.

Really nice trail. A little buggy, but great views

easy trail. taking a fire road up about 2,500 ft for almost 2 and 3/4 miles. beautiful views about 2 mi up. with lovely sustained winds to keep you cool. bring sunscreen and plenty of water.

difficult to get lost. well established path with some areas a little narrow on the back side down trespass. not a bunch of shade so get there early.

Beautiful views of the ocean. Hard to say which way to go. I went in the afternoon counter clockwise and was pretty hot but at least some breezes, but had my back to ocean most of the time. I met a guy going the other way who said the sun and heat was pretty bad with no breezes on the fire road up, but he preferred facing the ocean going down. Of course going earlier solves the dilemma. The trail going up seems over grown and rocky sometimes as just a dry creek bed, which may be more difficult going down.

Tough uphill hike most of the way, but the views are pretty amazing. We didn’t quite make it to the top, but still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Very little shade with wide cleared trail for most of it. Good for an early start.

Awesome hike. The views are phenomenal.

Great hike. One of the reviews suggested hiking counter-clockwise and it was a GREAT suggestion. Had beautiful views that may have been missed hiked in the other direction. Trip down from the peak was steep. my knees and calves got worked!

Loved this hike! Being lots of water, water is always worth the extra weight. And plenty of sunscreen. We started up the fire trail and came down trespass. But I’d like to try the reverse next time. Our group was mixed with people at different levels of hiking, and we stopped frequently on the way up. But when we were stopped the flies came out and I was bit by them several times. The flies were also at the peak and that was annoying. But the view was astonishing and we wrote in the hiking logs. Next time I go I’m bringing an empty composition journal to leave up there, cause the others were full. Trespass trail was narrow and had more parts that leveled out. Have fun out there!

June 8, 2019 The trail was well cleared except the very last accent to the peak, which has a smaller trail path. This path is lined with wild flowers (and bees). It’s a view worth hiking for, but it is pretty straight up. Great for training for longer backpacking as trails continue out from here.

If you are going to hike 3 miles straight uphill, the view from the top should be pretty nice, and it is. I got a wonderful view of the valley and the ocean on a clear morning from the peak as well as beautiful wildflowers on the small single track to the peak. Still, it's a straight hike up a fire road.

Wonderful trail with beautiful mountain and ocean views, when it's clear.

Great hike! 3 plus miles ALL up, 7 miles total. Great view of it's not foggy. I highly suggest checking out the hot springs. They are absolutely beautiful!

Hiked up to the peak and down part of trespass. 7 miles total - wonderful views from Lompoc to Santa Barbara. Wildflowers blooming, and green everywhere!! Will take Pancho's suggestion and try the reverse next time.

take the trespass trail up, beautiful views, go back down the fire road.

The views are amazing! We actually ended up doing the loop. The trails were very muddy! And the wildflowers are starting to bloom!

Loved this trail!!

Well I definitely was not disappointed with the views, the trail itself was definitely much more steep that I expected so be prepared and bring plenty of water. It’s fairly shaded for the early part but as others mentioned it becomes less so as you ascend, some make sure to pack sunblock. My gps recorded 6.6 miles but I always find all trails is off a bit. The views are definitely worth the trek, I packed some fruit and salad with some turkey jerky and just enjoyed the views before I began my descent. I also stopped by the hot springs at the beginning of the trail on my way back down.