Gaviota Peak Trail

Gaviota Peak Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gaviota, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

hot springs

Don’t park in the parking area at the trail head! Parking ticket $100 for 45mins past “Sunset”!
Park on the side of the road outside trail head!
Loved the hike and the views!

Main trail up is a bit bland but took Trespass down which is a treat with some caves along the way.

Beautiful views from the peak when skies are clear. We did it in 2 hours, 48 minutes, moving time, going up the Trespass trail and down the road. Going up the trail is more than moderate, we agreed.

Love this trail! Go up the fire road then down the backside for the better views!

Really nice trail! Excellent views at the top. Trail is well maintained both ways. I went up the fire road and down trespass trail.

Excellent trail. Suggest going up the burn road and down the trespass trail - excellent views from trespass. We did it other way round - took 4 and a half hours.

A good workout but on a dirt road the whole way up. A boring hike until you finally get to the top.

nice trail with good hills to work on the legs

hour up, hour down. 98% dirt road. good for stamina.

Easy dirt road. The elevation change is pretty steady. Great view at the top! Totally worth it!!

Okay in the winter but too hot in the Summer. We just did this a couple days ago and the heat was brutal. Bring a hat and a few liters of water. That dry heat combined with almost no shade will get you! Lots of the trespass trail is overgrown with tall grasses so do tick checks often and wear pants. Nice views though

3 hours round trip. BRING BUG SPRAY AND A HAT. Views are great hike is pretty boring majority of it on double track road. Did I mention to bring bug spray? Also heads up on the poison oak.

We ran it and it was difficult. I would say this hike is a little more difficult than moderate.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Stunning and wonderful. Probably took us 3.5 hours to complete the full circuit. Getting up early and doing the trespass trail before the peak trail was definitely the way to go. There is little coverage on this hike so bring plenty of water. Wildflowers were stunning but I would imagine I would like this hike a lot less in the summertime

Monday, February 27, 2017

Monday, January 16, 2017

I'm not a hiker by any means so I did the whole loop in 4 hours. We went up Gaviota peak trail, which is hard on the heart. We went down Trespass trail which is hard on the knees and toes! But I'm glad we did it this way rather than the other way around. People who have bad knees may prefer to start up with Trespass trail. When going up peak trail, look behind, there are some wonderful views. At the top, write down something ni the log book and take a selfie with the marker (bucket). We could not see very clearly in the distance because of the sea fog. Not a good trail for just after the rain, we saw several muddy spot (slippery!) on our way down.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

This is one of my favorite trails in the Goleta area. We started early morning with showers light so we just kept on going. Hit the hot springs at the bottom on the way up to warm up , and then as soon as we were out - torrential downpour!!! The temp dropped to 40 , wind was howling, fog was heavy , and the rain wouldn't stop!!! Eventually got to the top a couple hours later turning the corner expecting a final ascent to the peak, but fooled again!! Once we reached the top... that's for you to find out!!

Monday, January 02, 2017

we did Trespass Trail up to Gaviota Peak and down Gaviota peak trail. The descent was much more manageable on Gaviota Peak trail. Great coastal views as well as inland views. Took us just over 3 hours with plenty of stops for pictures.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

This hike was amazing minus the ticks along the way.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Gorgeous - both up Gaviota peak trail and down trespass trail. Highly recommended, especially in the early morning when there is some cloud cover.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Fun hike! I would suggest taking Trespass trail up to the peak and Gaviota trail to return

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Great hike. Not a lot of people and full of wild flowers. The view of the ocean when you get to the top is gorgeous.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

My husband and 10 and 7 year old boys and I hiked this with a large group. We went up Tresspass and back down the same. Moderately strenuous. A long hike with the kids, but worth it once you arrive at the peak.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Whoever decided that this hike is easy is a LIAR! It's almost completely up hill... Definitely not easy. Tip: bring lots of water.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Great hike with views to Point Concepcion and Refugio Beach. Takes a little over an hour to ascend. Park at the bottom, pay $2, small parking area.

Friday, December 11, 2015

This hike is a moderate one in my opinion. The views are worth the 3.5 miles up to the peak.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Muy buen cardio me gustó.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

The trail itself is great it's well-maintained couldn't ask for a better trail;however it is pretty straight up of a constant incline the entire time on the way down obviously you're coming the other way so it is kind a hard on the feet and your joints but besides that the views are great

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

My friend and I drove up to Gaviota from Pasadena, CA. we started off at 5:30am; the drive was quite pleasant and lasted about 2hrs without traffic. We parked at the head of the trail, paid $2.00 using the envelops they provide and started the hike up. I would recommend starting earlier in the day, as most of the hike is not tree-lined and it gets really hot. While walking up, occasionally take a look behind you, the views are gorgeous! After reaching the top, we sat for a bit enjoying some peanut butter-jelly sandwiches and oranges, overlooking the vast expanse of the pacific. We then continued forward; down the Trespassers trail rather than heading back down the same way. The Trespassers trail is quite steep and narrow going down, and a LOT of thorny bushes in the way. Nevertheless, you have a view of the ocean and the vegetation and boulders are pretty awesome. We even passed a cave on the way, although we didn't go in as my friend was afraid that it was a mountain lions home :). The trip down is quite steep initially for about 40% (~1.3miles) and then is fairly flat. Overall, I would recommend going up to Gaviota peak and coming down the Trespassers trail for a good hike.