Gaviota Peak Trail

Gaviota Peak Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gaviota, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

hot springs

Good hike with some steep sections, and incredible views from the peak. As you get higher, the trail is more exposed, so bring enough water. There is a smaller path turnoff to the right, just before you drop down on the fire road about 1/2mile from the parking lot, where there are two hot spring pools. Fair amount of poison oak along that stretch, but very cool to see the springs.

It’s a good hike my daughter is 10 and she has done this hike 3 times now.

moderate hike if going up fire road and down trespass. much harder if you go the reverse way.

wonderful mother's day hike!

Enjoyable hike up Gaviota Peak and back down Trespass. Moderate difficulty. Bring plenty of water in warmer seasons! We took a picnic lunch and ate prior to reaching the peak.

Don’t park in the parking area at the trail head! Parking ticket $100 for 45mins past “Sunset”!
Park on the side of the road outside trail head!
Loved the hike and the views!

Main trail up is a bit bland but took Trespass down which is a treat with some caves along the way.

Beautiful views from the peak when skies are clear. We did it in 2 hours, 48 minutes, moving time, going up the Trespass trail and down the road. Going up the trail is more than moderate, we agreed.

Love this trail! Go up the fire road then down the backside for the better views!

Really nice trail! Excellent views at the top. Trail is well maintained both ways. I went up the fire road and down trespass trail.

Excellent trail. Suggest going up the burn road and down the trespass trail - excellent views from trespass. We did it other way round - took 4 and a half hours.

A good workout but on a dirt road the whole way up. A boring hike until you finally get to the top.

nice trail with good hills to work on the legs

hour up, hour down. 98% dirt road. good for stamina.

Easy dirt road. The elevation change is pretty steady. Great view at the top! Totally worth it!!

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Okay in the winter but too hot in the Summer. We just did this a couple days ago and the heat was brutal. Bring a hat and a few liters of water. That dry heat combined with almost no shade will get you! Lots of the trespass trail is overgrown with tall grasses so do tick checks often and wear pants. Nice views though

Saturday, June 03, 2017

3 hours round trip. BRING BUG SPRAY AND A HAT. Views are great hike is pretty boring majority of it on double track road. Did I mention to bring bug spray? Also heads up on the poison oak.

Friday, June 02, 2017

We ran it and it was difficult. I would say this hike is a little more difficult than moderate.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Stunning and wonderful. Probably took us 3.5 hours to complete the full circuit. Getting up early and doing the trespass trail before the peak trail was definitely the way to go. There is little coverage on this hike so bring plenty of water. Wildflowers were stunning but I would imagine I would like this hike a lot less in the summertime

Monday, February 27, 2017

Monday, January 16, 2017

I'm not a hiker by any means so I did the whole loop in 4 hours. We went up Gaviota peak trail, which is hard on the heart. We went down Trespass trail which is hard on the knees and toes! But I'm glad we did it this way rather than the other way around. People who have bad knees may prefer to start up with Trespass trail. When going up peak trail, look behind, there are some wonderful views. At the top, write down something ni the log book and take a selfie with the marker (bucket). We could not see very clearly in the distance because of the sea fog. Not a good trail for just after the rain, we saw several muddy spot (slippery!) on our way down.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

This is one of my favorite trails in the Goleta area. We started early morning with showers light so we just kept on going. Hit the hot springs at the bottom on the way up to warm up , and then as soon as we were out - torrential downpour!!! The temp dropped to 40 , wind was howling, fog was heavy , and the rain wouldn't stop!!! Eventually got to the top a couple hours later turning the corner expecting a final ascent to the peak, but fooled again!! Once we reached the top... that's for you to find out!!

Monday, January 02, 2017

we did Trespass Trail up to Gaviota Peak and down Gaviota peak trail. The descent was much more manageable on Gaviota Peak trail. Great coastal views as well as inland views. Took us just over 3 hours with plenty of stops for pictures.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

This hike was amazing minus the ticks along the way.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Gorgeous - both up Gaviota peak trail and down trespass trail. Highly recommended, especially in the early morning when there is some cloud cover.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Fun hike! I would suggest taking Trespass trail up to the peak and Gaviota trail to return

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Great hike. Not a lot of people and full of wild flowers. The view of the ocean when you get to the top is gorgeous.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

My husband and 10 and 7 year old boys and I hiked this with a large group. We went up Tresspass and back down the same. Moderately strenuous. A long hike with the kids, but worth it once you arrive at the peak.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Whoever decided that this hike is easy is a LIAR! It's almost completely up hill... Definitely not easy. Tip: bring lots of water.