Gaviota Peak Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Goleta, California that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,162 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Super fun, straightforward, and decently easy hike! It’s a little steep, but the trail is pretty short so my boyfriend and I had to problem making it to the top. There were some snakes (rattlers), wasps, and lots of bees so if you’re allergic to any of those things bring Benadryl and an Epipen, obviously. I had a little over a liter of water and wished that I had brought more. Wear sunscreen cause there is very little shade. Beautiful wildflowers, and a nice view at the top!

Great hike. 3.5 miles to the can at the top....which is NOT a trash can. I cleaned the can out, leaving the pens and books, rocks and trinkets. I took down about 7 pounds of trash from the can and picked up a mask, food wrappers, plastic bags and papers on my way down. Leave nothing but footprints behind when hiking. Be ready for flies at the top!

Very overgrown. Lots and lots of flies so Be prepared for that. Still a great hike.

Starting to get pretty overgrown. Be careful of ticks , especially on trespass.

Gorgeous hike! We went up the fire road and down trespass path as others had recommended, and we're really glad we did (counterclockwise). The trail starts right at the sign at the back of the parking lot, just stay to the left when it forks. The views were amazing on the way down, and you really would miss them if you did the reverse route. I also like how this way made it a loop vs. an out and back so you got to take in some different scenery on the way back. My GPS said the hike was 8.8 miles, and it took us 1.5 hours each way for a total of 3 hours. With a lunch break it was closer to 4 hours. Definitely make sure to bring lots of water, sunscreen, hat, and bug spray (flies). It's also was quite windy at the top, so be prepped for that. Definitely only do this on a clear day so you can see the breathtaking views! We did this on a Friday and there was hardly anyone on the trail.

fee

Are dogs allowed ?

Great trail. We took the fire road up and trespass trail down. I prefer my downhill to be smoother and easier, so next time I would take the trespass trail up and the fire Road down. Much easier to go down the fire trail in my opinion. Trespass trail is not overgrown. It can be very windy in the area, but I hiked with shorts and no shirts the entire trip except at the end for some sun protection. Saw a nice big rattlesnake. Just keep an eye out on the trail. Great cardio hike with amazing views. You truly feel far out on this hike. Good cell reception the entire hike with Verizon. Hot springs we’re murky and not very appealing to me, and I have a low threshold.

Perfect hike to do during late winter or early spring! It began to rain while I was hiking and I couldn’t be happier! I did the Loop clockwise. Things to note: -Great views going up and going down. -It’s $2. PLEASE pay the fee. It’s really not that much and the money goes to a great cause! -Make sure to take some snacks, water, and a hat on a hot sunny day. You’ll be thankful. -Many of the trails connect. Check out The Tunnel Trail on the way down (clockwise) -May be slippery and muddy on the way down (clockwise) after or during rain. Loved the hike!

fee

Okay, amazing views! We went up counter clockwise going up trespass trail, but this hike is not moderate! It is hard! And we are avid hikers! Don’t get me wrong it’s beautiful and amazing, the incline is insane! Took us 3 hours and 16 minutes, only cause mike 5 we ran from a mountain lion! However, it was still amazing!

I had read about Gaviota State Park and Peak some years ago and I am glad that I finally got to take the hike to the top. The day was cool in the morning, maybe 55 deg and warmed up to almost 70 by the end. The parking was very easy, having arrived at about 9 am and had our two dollars ready for the little envelope at the trailhead. It is nice that we were forewarned. The trail was very easy to follow being a fire road all the way up, almost. You think you have reached the top but then you have to climb straight up a rutted, rocky incline to the actual peak. It would be very nice if there was a sign at the junction to direct you to the peak but we had a guidebook description that helped find the way. It was very windy at the top but we were able to sit on the rocks for lunch and the small scrubby bushes provided reasonable shielding. We returned the way we came up and the vistas were beautiful in the bright sun. Great fun!

12/29: Gaviota Peak has a special view. The rocky summit trail leads to a breathtaking ocean view on a clear day. It is a quick shot as an out and back on the main trail which is a fire road. Pretty views but definitely a road, so if you crave the twists, turns and cover of a true trail, you may find the three miles of climbing tedious. It was a bit muddy in spots with rocky gravel yet easy to traverse. The only real challenge is the last quarter mile or so to the summit as it is eroded. People were doing this as a loop both ways with the Trespass Trail. Having recently done the Trespass Trail to Gaviota, I feel Trespass is by far the most beautiful route to the mountain regardless of the direction you take.

The trail to the peak is great, there was a lot of mud on the trail to the hot springs this morning.

Beautiful hike

Gorgeous views of hills, mountains, fields, and Pacific. Lots of great trees and birds. Moderate for climbing up but nothing else particularly challenging.

Really nice trail. A little buggy, but great views

easy trail. taking a fire road up about 2,500 ft for almost 2 and 3/4 miles. beautiful views about 2 mi up. with lovely sustained winds to keep you cool. bring sunscreen and plenty of water.

difficult to get lost. well established path with some areas a little narrow on the back side down trespass. not a bunch of shade so get there early.

Beautiful views of the ocean. Hard to say which way to go. I went in the afternoon counter clockwise and was pretty hot but at least some breezes, but had my back to ocean most of the time. I met a guy going the other way who said the sun and heat was pretty bad with no breezes on the fire road up, but he preferred facing the ocean going down. Of course going earlier solves the dilemma. The trail going up seems over grown and rocky sometimes as just a dry creek bed, which may be more difficult going down.

Tough uphill hike most of the way, but the views are pretty amazing. We didn’t quite make it to the top, but still enjoyed it thoroughly.