Gaviota Hot Springs and Trespass Trail

Gaviota Hot Springs and Trespass Trail is a 6.5 mile loop trail located near Goleta, California that features hot springs. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking.

2066 feet

hot springs

2.00 parking fee

Love Gavoita Peak, Great Hike, Great view overall challenging but every little bit is worth it

I had a lot of fun on this trail. We only went to the Hot Springs, but the views are beautiful and the Springs are tranquil. For a fun, short hike I definitely recommend this one.

If you're coming from US-101 N, take exit 132 towards Lompoc/Vandenberg and turn right at the exit and drive down the hill for parking.

it's a hard incline trail for 3.5 miles and then it goes down the way back. we took the hot springs path up which is wider, less bushes, less thorns, and trespass trail down which is narrow with amazing views. the hot springs are over rated, kinda bullshit and it's a detour from the main trail. in a hot day, take lots of water, 2~3 liters per person because it's pretty open, no shade almost all the way.

Visiting from Scotland I had heard there was a good viewpoint over the Pacific from Gaviota State Park and headed up from Long Beach for a look. The views were great and I did almost get bitten by a rattlesnake so be careful people. It was hard going in the heat but I did come down with a sense of accomplishment and no water left in my backpack - thirsty thirsty!

Good views from the top. As the map says, make the loop counterclockwise- unless you want a steady and constant climb up a fire road. View at the top is good. But views along the uphill hike were more spectacular. Springs are gross, trashy, and buggy. Shame that people don't pick up after themselves.

Awesome trail. A lot harder than I expected. Uphill most of the way if you take trespass up. Loved every moment though. Scenic and beautiful. Bring water and a snack. It takes awhile.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Great hike. Although, there is NO dog access as stated. Also, there is a 2.00 parking fee

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Going up took me a couple of hours, but I took my time hiking this one alone. I went up the Gaviota Hot Springs Trail & then up to the Peak, resting at the top to journal and enjoy the scenery. Going down Trespass Trail with those gorgeous ocean views and surrounding Flora was lovely.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Took Trespass Trail yo to the peak. much rockier than Peak Trail side. Great hike, lots of sun so bring sunscreen. Much of the thinner portions of the trail have overgrown brush. Would do again.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Good hike! I just started hiking this year and this trail was pretty challenging. Bring plenty of water and a few snacks for breaks along the way. My gps said about a 7 mile hike with elevation gain of about 2,000 in the first 3.5 miles. Totally worth the effort! Incredible views! Don't forget the $2.00 for the trailhead parking. It's a self serve payment envelope system but I've heard the park rangers check cars parked there pretty regularly and issue citations.

After I got to Gaviota Peak I took Trespass Trail down. Trail is narrow and single track for most of it and pretty rocky compared to the peak trail going up. Peak trail is like a 5 line interstate highway compared to Trespass which is more of a 1 lane country road. Had to crawl over a few rocks, vegetation overgrown near the trail (made me wish I was wearing pants and not shorts!). Definitely, had to watch my footing for most of it! Really rocky at some points and not very well trafficked when I went out. A little harder getting back to the trailhead than when I've used the peak trail. In the end, glad I took it though but if I were hiking alone again I would take the peak trail up and down.

Monday, May 09, 2016

Hike this trail clockwise if you want to get the most out of the ocean views; counter-clockwise if you want to save your knees by going up, rather than down, the steepest part of Trespass Trail.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Nice but a little dirty. there's black berries and raspberries along the trail

Saturday, September 28, 2013

This trail is no joke; a steep uphill most of the way. Kicked our butts good!

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Started up to Gaviota peak by way of Tresspass Trail. It starts off clear enough but soon you are navigating through lots of scrub brush. The scrubbiness stays with you most of the way up. You see parts of the range that most people don't because of the trails seldom use. The view at the top is commanding with 360 degrees view around the peak. Write your name is the tin can atop the peak. We returned via the Gaviota peak trail which is an easier double track and completed a loop of just over 6 miles. Take plenty of water for the trek!