Garnet Peak Trail

Garnet Peak Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 492 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

This trail is well marked, there is plenty of parking, and it's a gorgeous hike. The best part is the top. Alltrails has this marked as "easy," but, I would rank it as kind of moderate towards the top. My 6 year old made it to the top, but it requires hands. I would definitely do this hike again, but wouldn't recommend this for families with smaller children; the top has some drop-offs. Otherwise, spend a sunset here :-) My favorite part of the trail was intersecting the PCT. So amazing.

Short but nice little hike with Amazing views. I got here just after the sun came up and it was gorgeous. Next I’ll get here earlier. I saw all the peak sunrise colors as I was driving here.

Great hike, but VERY muddy right now. Overall quite easy, however, there is a assent the 2nd half that does require a little cardio. Very doable, and if you are not n avid hiker, just take a few breathers, the view is worth it.

icy

Great little hike. Nice summit. Snow, but not too cold and did not need crampons or microspikes, just poles. Nice views of Salton Sea, Palomar and the San Gabriel mountains.

This is not an easy trail once you start up the mountain. It is very rock, and steep in areas. The day we went was very windy!!!! B day autiful views. Hoped there would be more of an area to look sit and enjoy the view but the trail ends abruptly. A good workout.

Nice short hike, beautiful views of the desert and the PCT. Lots of good rock.

can you pitch a tent at the peak?

recorded Garnet Peak Trail

Great view of the Sunrise!!

This is a great short, easy trail with big rewards - the view is beautiful!

We park at a different area (Penny pines) just before the trail to get in more hiking. The 360 degree views are breathtaking!! That last portion (before the peak) is tough. But the reward is greater! On a clear day you can see forever! Highly recommend this hike! Put it on your bucket list!

The trail was not hard, however I wouldn’t say it was toddler friendly. Very rocky at times, and there are a few descents and ascents that would be difficult for a toddler. The hike is more for ages 8 and up. The hike is fun, and the views are beautiful. Make sure you put on bug repellent - very aggressive if you don’t have it.

I'm assuming we went at the wrong time of the day - got here around 10:30 on a July weekend. The trail is a little hard to find. It's literally road side with a few metal bars allowing for a turnout area where 3-4 cars can be parked. There is a faded board that says "trail". Use Google maps unless you want to overshoot the target. Initial trail is quite flat and seems easy. It then starts inclining up until the topmost portion which is a scramble. I was quite out of breath and my legs felt like stone. Could be the altitude and my time in a national park recently without actual rest. So yes, I'd say this moderate. Take lots of water. View from the top is lovely if you love deserts. Otherwise it's an ok view.