Garnet Peak Trail

Garnet Peak Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike. We've done it twice - once from Penny Pines (longer, more meandering) and once from the Garnet peak trailhead (further up Sunrise Highway
and a straight shot up and back). Beautiful flowers, birds and vistas but VERY WINDY, especially at the top! We literally couldn't linger up there - we thought we'd be blown away

We started our hike from the Penney Pines trailhead adding another 2 miles to the hike for a total of 4.4 miles. The Penney Pines trail crosses the PCT and it is so beautiful! Breathtaking views along the trail before you even get to the Garnet Peak Trail. Lots of bright flowers were in full bloom in late April. Chilly and very windy at the top of the peak. My ball cap blew off twice so I put my beanie on instead. We were the only ones at the top and we passed 5 people on the trail. We started the hike around 8:30am. It only took us about an hour to get there from Mission Valley. Some of the best views in San Diego County and it's so peaceful! Starting the hike at Penny Pines was worth it.

Easy and amazing view.

Sooooo beautiful! Took my dog up here (on-leash only) and although it was short, the views were breathtaking along the entire way.

The highlight of the Laguna Mountains. A short well maintained hike. One of the best views in all of San Diego.

amazing view from up there.

Easy

This is one of my favorite hikes in San Diego county. Absolutely breathtaking scenery, albeit not a very physically challenging jaunt. If you're coming all the way out from San Diego, I recommend starting this hike from the Penny Pines trailhead, and follow the Pacific Crest Trail to where it intersects with the Garnet Peak trail. This route is a bit more enjoyable, as I've found that doing it straight from the Garnet Peak trailhead off the road was way too short considering the lengthy mission of driving out there. Trail is well marked and definitive, the view out over the desert is totally captivating, and we didn't see a single person out here on a weekday afternoon, making it a great getaway from the city. I've been up Garnet Peak twice, and I'd love to do it again.

We went in the Spring after the rain.
The view was spectacular.