Garnet Peak Trail

Garnet Peak Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The contrast between high alpine environments to the desert way down below is incredible. Easy to find. The hike itself is a nice, easy trail with lots to look at. The silence mixed with the noise of the wind sweeping across the mountain was awesome. If in the summer bring water.

Quick and fun hike with rewarding views. Adventure pass required for parking (purchased at convenience stores nearby or other outdoor stores like REI).

Watch your step when walking up to the peak, I almost stepped on a Speckled Rattlesnake nestled up alongside the trail. If you do encounter a rattler do not attempt to kill or move it, doing so greatly increases your chances of being bit. They have no interest in biting you unless provoked and are better left alone.

Enjoy the hike!

This was a great hike! It was really hot and there were a lot of bugs on the way up to to the actual trail head but the incline to the peak wasn't too bad! Lots of interesting reptiles on the way up and the scenery on the peak is unreal! I would recommend this hike on a cooler day or even during sunrise!

It was hot as balls today, do yourself a favor and don't do this when it's hot out. There are only 2 places with shade and it's towards the beginning when you think your going to be ok. I feel like it would have been a lot easier if it were cooler out. The views are amazing, my 4 year old made it up no problem. I didn't see any rattlesnakes but boy did we hear their warnings eeeek!

Maybe not so kid and dog friendly, but a great hike overall. The views at the top are spectacular, and the wildflowers are plentiful. Would go again sans 7yo child and 13yo dog. Proud of them for finishing, but they are DONE for the day:)

Great hike. We've done it twice - once from Penny Pines (longer, more meandering) and once from the Garnet peak trailhead (further up Sunrise Highway
and a straight shot up and back). Beautiful flowers, birds and vistas but VERY WINDY, especially at the top! We literally couldn't linger up there - we thought we'd be blown away

We started our hike from the Penney Pines trailhead adding another 2 miles to the hike for a total of 4.4 miles. The Penney Pines trail crosses the PCT and it is so beautiful! Breathtaking views along the trail before you even get to the Garnet Peak Trail. Lots of bright flowers were in full bloom in late April. Chilly and very windy at the top of the peak. My ball cap blew off twice so I put my beanie on instead. We were the only ones at the top and we passed 5 people on the trail. We started the hike around 8:30am. It only took us about an hour to get there from Mission Valley. Some of the best views in San Diego County and it's so peaceful! Starting the hike at Penny Pines was worth it.

Easy and amazing view.

Sooooo beautiful! Took my dog up here (on-leash only) and although it was short, the views were breathtaking along the entire way.