Garfield Grove Trail

Garfield Grove Trail is a 13.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until November.

overall good day hike. you can backpack and camp at the 6mile mark.

cons:
-steep uphill battle against nature
-wish I had brought trekking poles
pros:
-really beautiful places to rest, mossy rocks with waterfalls etc
-got to see some Sequoias that no one else sees.

what I wish I had known before I started:

road to trailhead is really Rocky. You will need a truck or similar. 4x4 not necessary.

Trail is uphill the entire way. don't kid yourself, and bring water. there are water features along the route, very clean, if you have purifier I imagine they taste great.

Garfield Grove Sequoias are a little lackluster--not nearly as close together as the main park.

it was a bit overgrown from recent rain, and this increased bug activity but I used 40% DEET spray and did not get any bites.

didn't see a snake or a bear, although from the look of the forest you should prep for both.

This trail was super overgrown when my group and I went. We found ourselves basically bush whacking for what seemed like a mile. It was also INCREDIBLY hot and the mosquitos were relentless. Also not many views, as most of this trail is forested. Not to mention getting to the trailhead was a nightmare... the road to the campsite it horrendous and not suitable for any sedan. I will likely not be back... that's what I get for not planning in advance for Labor Day weekend.

Monday, March 13, 2017

3-12-17 Beautiful trail. Made it about 5 miles down the way. Snow in several parts of the trail. Used it to refill water bottles! Snowslide canyon was gorgeous. The way out is all uphill and is a good workout.

Monday, April 11, 2016

The drive to South Fork campground was almost as rough as the hike. Haha. We went on this trail expecting only a 2.5 mile hike in, but ended up going the full 5 miles in to Garfield Creek. The elevation was brutal on me. I do not work out regularly and wasn't really expecting such a continuous climb all 5 miles. BUT, it was definitely worth it! The dramatic changes in scenery was most memorable to me. It almost feels like you've been to 5 different forests when all is said and done.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

This is an awesome trail for early spring. Went all the way up to Garfield Creek and back to make it 10 miles and 3400'. The trees out here are very tall, but dont expect it to look like the Giant Forest. This is more like hunting for Sequoias in the wilderness. It takes about 4 miles to start hitting the big trees, but the hike is work it. You can see Moro Rock and the Giant Forest off to the left of the trail. If you are wondering about elevation gain, this is essentially going to the ridge across from the one that CA 198 drives up, and walking it with less switchbacks. The dirt road out to south fork is easy to navigate in a passenger car, just go slow. Take South Fork Road till it stops at the Campground, Trailhead is on the right of the road to the parking area at the Ladybug trailhead

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Just went today, (5-17-2013) made it a little past Snowslide Canyon and decided to turn back as it started to drizzle a bit. Nice hike, wish we made it a bit further. A few tiny waterfalls and cool looking rock faces. Will be back to conquer.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Starting from South Fork Campground (elevation 3620 ft) it's 3 miles of steady climbing to the grove. At about 3.5 miles there a few nice camping spots (Snowslide Camp). I stopped about 5 miles in, elevation was just over 7,000 ft when I turned back. There were several small streams running and a few patches of snow around them. You'll get some great views of Mt. Denison, Homer's Nose, and some giant trees on this hike. It's definitely a worthwhile trek.

Saturday, April 29, 2017