Garden to Sky

Garden to Sky is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avalon, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is constantly at an uphill grade. It begins at Wrigley Memorial and ends with a breathtaking view of both sides of the island. The end of this trail is the beginning of a longer mountain-top trail called Divide Road.

Great hike with great views once at the top. I am not an avid hiker but with plenty of water, some snacks and few stops on the way up it was very manageable.

The trail is wide and kind to almost any level of hiker. The gradual ascent will put some sweat on your brow, unless you run, then it'll challenge even those beasts who love mountain gallops. from the center of town round trip was just at 6 miles and just under 2 hours at a steady pace.

I came into the island on a cruise ship and took the first tender boat over for a morning run. For those in this same situation, the total distance from dock to the top and back is 6.5 miles. I ran through the town of Avalon and made my way up the road toward Wrigley Memorial and botanical garden. The entrance is $7. Cool cacti in the garden and the memorial was beautiful. The trail starts at the memorial. There is not a lot of shade going up. The trail is wide, but covered in pebbles. I didn't have my running shoes, so my feet suffered. The view from the top is nice, you can see the ocean on both sides of the island from there. It was a great run to work off some of that cruise ship food and drink.

Did this in cool weather so we had a great time. Pretty exposed trail so I wouldn't recommend doing it when it's very hot. Steep climb but worth the views!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

start from wrigler memorial. it is an easy n fast walk of 1.5 miles uphill. reach summit n can either move to hermit gulch track or east side of the catalina. view is great.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Nice easy hike on a fire road. A few steep areas and great views on both sides of the island. Worth the walk.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Totally worth it! Two hours round trip stopping for pictures. We enjoyed it; good way to start your day in Avalon. For someone that never exercise, I think this trail, even though is considered easy, it may be too much of an incline for some people. Other than that; the views are great!

Sunday, November 22, 2015

amazing hike .. start at the campsite .

Thursday, October 08, 2015

Garden to Sky can be done as an out and back, or it can be combined with 2 other trails (Memorial Road to Divide Road and then to Hermit Gulch Trail) to create a 4.2 mile loop. We did the loop. Starting at the Wrigley Botanical Gardens, you purchase entrance to the Gardens ($7/person) and sign up for a hiking pass (free). I suppose you could start from the Hermit Gulch campground and avoid the fees, but the trail is maintained and marked, so I would encourage supporting the Conservancy. The information desk personnel go through a basic hiking checklist, suggesting water and asking not to touch or feed the animals. We started around 1pm and finished around 5pm. The city of Avalon faces east, and there are some spectacular views of both East and West when you get to the top. I would have loved to see the sunset from there, but it would have been much too dark to make our way back. Memorial Road and Divide Road are wide roads that tour vehicles also travel on. Hermit Gulch is a bit more rugged and you need to be careful of loose rocks.