Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Garden to Sky Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(138)
Avalon, California

Garden to Sky Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Avalon, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 731 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is constantly at an uphill grade. It begins at Wrigley Memorial and ends with a breathtaking view of both sides of the island. The end of this trail is the beginning of a longer mountain-top trail called Divide Road.

Great workout on way up as it is all up hill, but beautiful all around you and the view at the top makes it worth the hike. The trailhead is at the back of Wrigley garden so you do have pay to get in. We enjoyed seeing the garden after our hike. The hike itself is an old dirt road.

We did the garden sky loop. Was mostly uphill for the first half of the hike and than after that, it was smooth sailing.

Gerden to Sky Summit to Avalon Harbor. With mom.

fee

We started around 9:30 and it got pretty hot . Recommend going earlier. Views at top are great, can see neighboring island and mainland. Trail is wide and ascent is fair so not too difficult. Some shade but also stretches of full sun. No bugs or other nuisances to speak of. Overall great hike you can take directly out if Avalon. You cross Wrigley’s botanical garden, which charges entrance fee $14 for an adult and a senior. You can apparently bypass by going through the campground on the right, but we thought we wanted to support the cause. Steady parade of golf carts going to the botanical gardens was slightly annoying.

I did this trail in reverse....sky to garden (you don’t have to pay to enter the hike at the garden this way). I hiked up Hermits Gulch. At the top is Divide Rd. Follow that to left (away from restroom). It leads you into the garden to sky hike. Hermits Gulch has way more wildlife and was less populated. That was an actual trail. The garden to sky trail is a dirt road. Great views though. Just not as rustic as Hermits gulch which is why I gave it a four out of five.

nice hike. hot and dry

Didn’t finish, started a little late around 3:40pm but the garden closes at 5. It was really hot too btw, will come back to summit.

Fun trail! Steady incline.

Sun Apr 21 2019

Beautiful view at the top!

Sun Apr 07 2019

This is a moderate hike on the Trans Catalina trail. It is mostly old fire break and dirt road. It’s beautiful this time of year. Summer can be very hot and dry.

Tue Jan 09 2018

Great hike with great views once at the top. I am not an avid hiker but with plenty of water, some snacks and few stops on the way up it was very manageable.

Thu Jul 20 2017

The trail is wide and kind to almost any level of hiker. The gradual ascent will put some sweat on your brow, unless you run, then it'll challenge even those beasts who love mountain gallops. from the center of town round trip was just at 6 miles and just under 2 hours at a steady pace.

Mon Jul 03 2017

I came into the island on a cruise ship and took the first tender boat over for a morning run. For those in this same situation, the total distance from dock to the top and back is 6.5 miles. I ran through the town of Avalon and made my way up the road toward Wrigley Memorial and botanical garden. The entrance is $7. Cool cacti in the garden and the memorial was beautiful. The trail starts at the memorial. There is not a lot of shade going up. The trail is wide, but covered in pebbles. I didn't have my running shoes, so my feet suffered. The view from the top is nice, you can see the ocean on both sides of the island from there. It was a great run to work off some of that cruise ship food and drink.

Mon Apr 10 2017

Did this in cool weather so we had a great time. Pretty exposed trail so I wouldn't recommend doing it when it's very hot. Steep climb but worth the views!

Sun Oct 30 2016

start from wrigler memorial. it is an easy n fast walk of 1.5 miles uphill. reach summit n can either move to hermit gulch track or east side of the catalina. view is great.

Thu Aug 18 2016

Nice easy hike on a fire road. A few steep areas and great views on both sides of the island. Worth the walk.

Sat Apr 16 2016

Totally worth it! Two hours round trip stopping for pictures. We enjoyed it; good way to start your day in Avalon. For someone that never exercise, I think this trail, even though is considered easy, it may be too much of an incline for some people. Other than that; the views are great!

Sun Nov 22 2015

amazing hike .. start at the campsite .

Thu Oct 08 2015

Garden to Sky can be done as an out and back, or it can be combined with 2 other trails (Memorial Road to Divide Road and then to Hermit Gulch Trail) to create a 4.2 mile loop. We did the loop. Starting at the Wrigley Botanical Gardens, you purchase entrance to the Gardens ($7/person) and sign up for a hiking pass (free). I suppose you could start from the Hermit Gulch campground and avoid the fees, but the trail is maintained and marked, so I would encourage supporting the Conservancy. The information desk personnel go through a basic hiking checklist, suggesting water and asking not to touch or feed the animals. We started around 1pm and finished around 5pm. The city of Avalon faces east, and there are some spectacular views of both East and West when you get to the top. I would have loved to see the sunset from there, but it would have been much too dark to make our way back. Memorial Road and Divide Road are wide roads that tour vehicles also travel on. Hermit Gulch is a bit more rugged and you need to be careful of loose rocks.

recorded Garden to Sky Summit