Garcia Trail to Azusa Peak [CLOSED]

Garcia Trail to Azusa Peak [CLOSED] is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

[Currently closed due to fire damage] From the fire station, follow the path around the grass area adjacent to the station to begin the trail at the north end. The trail climbs steeply, staying primarily on or about the ascending/descending ridge. There's not much shade in route but the chaparral is thick and mature. At about three quarters of a mile the trail crosses over to the west slope and makes its final pitch to the top ridge. This is the section that can be seen clearly from the city below. At 1.2 miles you reach the ridge and the Glendora Ridge Motorway, a dirt service road closed to public vehicular traffic. Veer right (east), and take the informal path up the slope to Azusa Peak (2081'), about 0.2 more miles. Enjoy the views of Azusa, Glendora, and the San Gabriel Valley beyond. Return the way you came.

Used to run this trail for the Azusa Boxing Club, too bad it’s closed and still closed it’s a killer run

miss this place. hope they re-open it soon.

Anyone knows when they are going to reopen it?

Friday, April 07, 2017

It was really good hike, I wish they open again

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Nice

Sunday, September 11, 2016

This hike was awesome and not too long. Too bad they closed it :/

Sunday, September 04, 2016

It's not challenging only 2.8 miles

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Does anyone know if this trail will ever re-open?

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Since Garcia remains closed.....Just wanted to give a heads-up on anyone who might not be familiar since there's nothing posted about it. Looking at the map a logical alternative to Garcia would be to take the Glendora Ridge Motorway from the end of Hilltop Drive, or if someone is attempting an up-and-down, to take the Glendora Ridge Motorway down to Hilltop and then catch a ride back to a vehicle from there. However, this is not a viable route. The last half mile or so runs through an avocado grove and there is a locked gate with barbed wire on top at the end of Hilltop. Your options, once you hit Rancho Vasquez (the name of the property,) are to go back to the top of the Glendora Ridge at GMR or hike down the Colby Trail, or to risk a confrontation with attack dogs and have to find a fence to hop into someone's backyard to get out. I've never heard of a marked fire road with access to a city-owned property (water tower) not being publicy accessible until now, and I can understand the property owner wants to protect their crop, but regardless, this is not a useable route. If you do come off GMR or decide to hike the Colby to the ridge, Azusa Peak and the "A" on the hillside just past it is as far as you can go. Wish I had had this information in advance....now giving it to anyone else who might decide to attempt this hike.

Given that the Garcia Trail is out, it might be nice if the Vasquez Family granted weekend access to the fire road for local hikers, although my understanding is the reason they've restricted access to the extent they have is because of a significant amount of avocado theft.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

amazing! tough and challenging but rewarding. I still mourn it's passing. hopefully they'll restore it to its glory.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Once discovered this trail I seriously fell in love. I will always miss this trail. Maybe someday they can reconstruct this trail and bring it back to the public. I wouldn't mind being a security guard for this trail due to the incident that occurred at Garcia trail. 1Luv

Saturday, April 02, 2016

In my opinion this trail should have definitely been rated as moderate the walk up is pretty difficult but then again I'm lit of shape such a shame that it's closed

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Intense but my favorite so far sad it's closed.

Sunday, December 06, 2015

When are they ? Going to reopen Garcia trail??

Monday, August 17, 2015

Closed

Monday, July 27, 2015

There is a back way to still get to the cross. You have to take a fire road and it's about an 8 mile hike but still awesome to see the cross without everyone on the trail like it used to have. Kinda glad Garcia is closed... Too many people.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

It may say "easy" but it's short climb is anything but that.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

This was a fun trail. Almost straight up a narrow, winding dirt/root trail. Great Cardio workout. It's such a shame that the fire took it out for awhile.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This trail will not open back up according to the San Gabriel valley tribune story which reported the local residents don't want it opened because outsiders come and park in their neighborhood. This was my favorite trail and it's sad to see it taken away.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Best work out & great views.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Does anyone know of another trail like Garcia? Short, steep and a great workout? I lost 15lbs doing this trail, now that it's closed I need something else that gets the heart rate up. Please let me know. I live in La Puente. Thank you. Andrewtrujillo814@gmail.com

Friday, December 26, 2014

this trail is currently closed due to the fires this yr but I can't wait for it to reopen. such a great workout. it's very challenging for beginers. I myself didn't make it up the first time but I was disappointed in myself so I went back. once you make it up to the cross it's a great feeling of accomplishment. but on the way down its much easier if you jog. very steep which is what makes it such a challenge going up. I would recommend it.

Saturday, November 22, 2014

CLOSED indefinately.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Still closed!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The trail is closed I defiantly....we were told. My man and I did it anyways. Super steep. Mud slides have washed the path away at parts. Made it pretty sketchy. Once we neared the top...we noticed the workers taking down the A. There is no more trail. There is no more A.

Sunday, August 03, 2014

Does anybody know when will it open again?

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Is the Trail open now?

Monday, May 26, 2014

Sadly the trail is closed. :(

Friday, May 09, 2014

The trail is closed indefinitely :(

Sunday, April 27, 2014

This summit is gorgeous when you view the sunset and moon rise. Best ever. Only draw back is there are too many runners. Now its closed due to the fire. I was fortunate to enjoy these views!