Gabrielino Trail (NRT)

Gabrielino Trail (NRT) is a 25 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Monrovia, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 25.0 miles Elevation Gain: 4,934 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Not a good time to do this trail right now. I attempted this from east to west this past weekend and there were too many downed trees past Newcomb’s pass. Every 30-50 yards you have to climb, crawl or go around something. I made it to Devore camp dispirited but ready to press on the following morning. The section between Devore to West fork ended up being much worse. So many downed trees blocking the single track trail. I kept losing the path (even with GPS in hand) due to the overgrowth and trying to go around the fallen trees. Ended up with cuts all over my legs. I highly recommend waiting until they can clear the trail. If you must go see for yourself, I suggest also going east to west so you can turn back if needed with enough daylight left, as I did. Otherwise, I’m excited to attempt this another time as it was beautiful and more remote the further along you go.

Great adventure in Angeles NF.. Probably done best as a 2-day point-to-point overnight. You can't go wrong camping in Devore, West Fork, or Valley Forge campgrounds. Bring a headnet (Oct 19) lots of bugs. Full trail guide on my site HikingGuy

Our recorded length ended up being 29.9 miles. A bit longer than alltrails had it. First day started at Chantry Flats and went about 12 miles to Vally Forge. Nice campsite. Plenty of people around though, since it is close to the highway. Second day was about 18 miles. Valley Forge up to Redbox was nice. Somewhat exposed. From redbox to Switser Falls you're next to the highway the whole time so you will hear all the cars flying through there for their weekend fun. Hiking through the Switzer Falls section has a lot of foot traffic on the weekend. You'll be walking alongside a bunch of people wearing their swimsuits heading to the falls. From Switzer to the end there are lots of areas that are exposed to the sun but also some that are shaded. When getting closer to the end of the hike you'll come across a lot of bikers. All in all it was a good time. Pretty hot this time of year but there is plenty of water running through so you'll always have an opportunity to filter water.

My favorite segment is the Dam falls / Paul Little Picnic Area up to Switzer Falls. Quiet, unbelievably gorgeous, dynamic and barely-trafficked! Switzer to Red Box is a little dull but I enjoyed it.

I liked it and had fun. Great trail and close to the city. Water source throughout the whole trail. Unfortunately the first camp we came to I think called Gould Mesa was littered with trash, it’s possible some homeless have been camping there for an extended time, there were tents pitched but didn’t see anyone. We were able to hike the entire trail without getting our feet wet. We crossed the river like 8 times. We hiked 16 miles the first day, camped at Valley Forge, and finished the hike the second day at Chantry flat. There were mosquitoes in certain places but we just kept moving and took quick breaks. The mosquitoes disappeared just past sunset and the fire we had was nice. The camp had pit toilets, a fire ring, and the creek was flowing right next to us. I’ll be doing this again, next time starting from chantry flat.

It was nice trail, but now a days, the quantity of water in any rivers across the trail seems to be much higher. I needed to care for crossing any rivers. And, there are a lot of fallen trees across the trail, so sometimes it takes time to go through it.

Over all an easy trail to walk or hike or run. Bring hiking poles so that you can cross the various rivers easily. I had to cross the river at least a dozen times and the poles kept me from falling. Very shady but many bugs so bring something to spray them away.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Trail is open!!

Sat Feb 03 2018

Wed Jun 07 2017

Start on 6/3 The trail is closed at the west side. We tried to hit the trail at Switzer picnic area by starting at Millard camp via dawn mine and bear canyon camp. But we failed to find the route connecting bear camp to dawn mine though I saw some red ribbons there. After turning around, we started again from switzer picnic area, camping in the bear canyon camp for the first day. The second day we go from bear canyon camp to west fork camp. There scenery is beautiful near the redbox station. Many ladybugs are spotted on some logs. There are some fallen trees between vailey camp and west fork camp, but it is manageable. For the third day, the section between west fork and Devore camp is a little hard to find the trail and more fallen trees. After Devore camp until spruce grove campground there are many many bugs. Bug head net is recommended.

Wed Apr 19 2017

Alltrails does not have Gabrielino Trail in its entire length??? Not if I can help it!

Wed Jul 04 2018