Friendship Ridge Trail to Davison Trail Loop

Friendship Ridge Trail to Davison Trail Loop is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orick, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

beach

Redwood National and State Parks 1111 Second Street Crescent City, CA 95531 By Phone 707-465-7335 By Fax 707-464-1812

Awesome trail but even better for me as this was my last hike to complete every trail in Prairie Creek... Definitely a hike I'll do again as part of a longer hike. The lower part is mostly redwoods and the upper is a mixture of different types of forest and then the coastal trail hugs the edge of the woods along a marshy area that the elk love. What makes this hike really great is the diversity of different types of forest. Got within 6 feet of the elk because they felt my lab who is a service dog was a predator and they were aggressively trying to take her out. They charged us repeatedly..... Fortunately I had taken a solid bamboo rod with me likes like iron and a friend and by waving our arms and chasing them off with the rod we kept them off and escaped. They usually pose no real threat to people and after we got away and looked back from a safer distance we saw 3 calves laying in the grass behind the herd. The moms were just trying to protect the babies. And of course this hike includes the famous Fern Canyon.....

So much to see! Saw elk, a waterfall, big redwoods flowers, the beach, and of course Fern canyon! Really fun hike. Go through Fern canyon first and when you a little tired at the end you walking the open field.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Redwoods NP is basically steep hills covered in ferns and redwood trees, and of all the trails there I think this one (or this area) shows that the best. It's like walking through a jungle as the trail follows the contours of the hills through dense ferns, it also connects to Fern Canyon so you can make a loop from there, as this trail doesn't really have a destination in itself, there are some waterfalls hidden in the trees along the coastal trail though. We did this one in the middle of winter in a rainstorm with no one else around so I can't say much for the crowds or the views.