Fresno Dome

Fresno Dome is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oakhurst, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Road to get up to the dome is bad, a lot of pot holes, be prepared. The trail itself has a little snow left at the bottom but clears out on the way up. Worth it for the view.

As of Memorial Day, the snow was about .5 mile past the campground, still a ways to go to the trailhead. We will try it again in another month.

As of mid May 2017 the road to Fresno Dome is snowed in about .5 miles below Fresno Dome camp. We hiked up past the snowed in camp on the road (on the snow) and could not find an access point to Fresno Dome. I would try again in a July, maybe even late summer.

Beautiful hike!

I've been here a few times. It's an easy hike. It's a good hike for the kids. It's a short hike. Just pack a lunch and get out in to the woods.

While it may have been a simple and easy climb, I'd rate this as one of the most rewarding trails I've been on particularly if you're new to these parts. Walking through the grove with lichen covered trees was pretty, arriving at the bare face rocks was about as regular as it gets, but making our way up the dome to the peak and having that view - that was just simply beautiful. We went mid week and so there wasn't a soul around and it felt like we had the world to ourselves. Bit of a rough road to get to the start of the trail but entirely worth it. I've been told that just before the Fresno track there's a sign post that's been knocked down and not replaced - it leads to Big and Little Sandy where the sequoia reside. I'd definitely return. Easy hike, rewarding finish.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

We've taken this hike in the past and don't recall the road to get there being so extremely rough. The ride was painful. It took about an hour from the Hwy 41 turn-off at Sky Ranch to the trailhead and the road was mostly dirt, deep pits and boulders - really an obstacle course. The hike was nice.. too short and easy though for the effort made to get there.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Easy trail for the whole family. And not a bad drive.

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Great views, beautiful climb up granite dome; easy, I suppose, for most but moderate for old fart like me;

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

I've done this many times more as a social thing. It's fun to camp out up there with a group of friends! But you have to haul all of your firewood and water up the rock. Very easy and very fun!

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Nice hike beautiful views all around great starter hike. Also light crowds I think there was only 2 other hikers and they showed up as we were leaving.

Saturday, July 09, 2011

Not a long trek, but the elevation climb, quickly gives you views of mountain tops, and valleys. You have great south to northwest views, but I recall not being able to see due east , the southern end of yosemite national park ( Clark mountain
range) . A splendid rock outcropping that offers climbing for all levels of skills. The amazing thing to me was the condensed view of mountain ranges. When a CDF hiker pointed out different fire lookout towers, and surrounding mountains that are in different counties, but seemed so close together, it was an eye opener on the ecosystem. You just realize how it's so closely connected.