French Trail via Redwood Gate

French Trail via Redwood Gate is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Valle Vista, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice hike with gentle ascents and descents through gorgeous redwood groves. I posted plenty of photos along my recording of this hike. We did the reverse trek beginning at Redwood Gate, so that we ascended at the beginning through Orchard and French trails, flat along West Ridge trail to Skyline staging area, then gently descended along Stream Trail back to the Canyon Meadow Parking Area. Lots of shade - I needed neither sunscreen nor bug spray (and I usually do). Redwood Regional Park has several well marked trails, so we will certainly be back!

We started at the Redwood Gate. Followed the Stream Trail and hiked up to the Skyline Staging Area. On the return we took the West Ridge Trail, French Trail, Mill Trail and Stream Trail. Total distance 7.3 miles with 1,148 feet elevation. We completed the hike in merely 2 hours with average speed of 3.5 mph. Most of the hike is canopied by the tall redwood trees. It was a beautiful hike and the French Trail is my favorite trail in the Redwood park.

French trail is my favorite trail in the park. It takes you right through the heart of the lush Redwood forest. It is completely shaded, which is nice if you like to avoid sun exposure. And I personally prefer to get off the beaten path, for which French trail is perfect. I can usually count on one hand the amount of people I pass, which is unfortunate as it is such a great hike. But most people stick to the wider and easier ridge and stream trails.

My first hike at Redwood Regional was the opposite loop that starts at the Skyline Gate. So I thought it would be fitting to do this hike to signify my 100th trail completed on All Trails. I'm looking forward to the next 100.

One of my East Bay favorites

The French Trail is my favorite trail in Redwood and I've done it many times in conjunction with all the other trails. I like to combine it with the Stream Trail because of the larger trees but it's good with the East Or West Trail as well. The French Trail has a lot less traffic than most of the others because it's a little more difficult and if I remember right, no bikes. I miss hiking Redwood....