Freeman Creek Trail

Freeman Creek Trail is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Quaking Aspen: This trail connects Quaking Aspen with Lloyd Meadow.

My friend and I hiked in to the unofficial campground near the end of the trail over Memorial Day, and were happy to find we got lucky and it was unoccupied! Gorgeous hike down through meadows, sequoias, over the creek a couple times. We used this as a training hike so were breaking in boots and had fully loaded backpacks, and it was perfect, especially because the higher elevations were still snowed in. The camp site is one of those treasures you want to leave perfect as you found it! It's along the creek, with a nice hiker-established fire ring (we didn't use because we hadn't gotten a permit). The hike back is all up, as others have commented, but it's a great trail and well-graded so there's really only a couple sections that cause any strain. We took about 2 hours to get down and 2.5 hours to get back, with 45 pounds on our backs and taking our time...not bad. Unburdened this would be just enough to get the blood pumping. I highly recommend - Freeman Creek is gorgeous and has lots of water this year. And the sequoia are truly guardians in this forest. You can also take a pack horse ride down - the folks who lead them are very nice and that might be fun for anther time. I will be back for sure.

Great day hike while camping at Quaking Aspen. A nice tip that isn't obvious from the map: As you leave the campground, immediately across the highway is a dirt road. Take that for a half mile or so and then take a right onto another dirt road when you get to a junction. That will get you you to the trailhead without having to walk on the dangerous highway. Ended up being about 11 miles from our campsite to the Bush Tree and back.

The trail is very well defined and maintained, never had any issues staying on it. Moderate, but consistent climb go back to Quaking Aspen. Save your water for the the uphill part. You cross a nice stream a few times, which could potentially be a water source.

Nice hike. Lots of Giant Sequoias and wild flowers. Depending of the time of year, you could likely get water from the creek at different points if you don't want to lug it the whole way (especially uphill on the way back). Clearly marked trail that is a little narrow in points, but there is no danger of losing it. Can extend it by going down to Lloyd Rd. and taking one of the close trails a little further down. We did that and ended up over 10.5 miles round trip. Worth noting that the trail doesn't exactly follow the map coordinates in the middle of the trail, but there are no junctions so you don't need to worry about having taken the wrong path. I don't know if they moved the trail a little up the hill at that point, or if the coordinates just follow closer to the creek in that section for some reason. Anyway, it's fine and everything lines up at both ends of the trail.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

We thought this trail was great! It was 8 miles round trip for us and took 3.5 hours. The trail is mostly down hill to the halfway point, the George HW Bush Tree. Hiking out was a challenge, but doable! There is a campsite about 3 miles in, near a stream. Great hike for dogs. Many beautiful, giant sequoias.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Hiked this just before Memorial Day Weekend, felt like I had the whole area to myself!

As other reviewers noted, keep a lookout for the needles to the right while descending, as well as the large sequoias tucked away on both sides.

If leaving from Quaking Aspen, the trail is downhill -- remember that when you turn around. I chose to turn around at the Bush Tree, as I was running out of daylight. The trail is consistent in steepness going back up, so bring plenty of water an a snack if doing a day hike.

Overall, GREAT day hike (3-4 hours), got my heart pounding on the way back up.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Enjoyable hike—but the fact that it's ALL uphill on the way back is something to consider! There are tons of sequoias along the trail, more and more as you go. But even in the grove they're tucked in amongst all the trees, so make sure to look for them! As a previous reviewer noted, there are a couple creeks dogs can get a drink at, but they're pretty close to either end of the trail, so bring plenty of extra water. The trail itself was nice, quiet and uncrowded (we only saw two other groups all day). And if you camp at the Quaking Aspen campground, the half-mile road that leads to the trailhead is right across the street from the campground entrance. Very convenient!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

August 17, 2013 - hiked from freeman creek trail head to the George Bush tree n back today. was close to 100 degrees in the valley, but a perfect 78 degrees in the trail. The hike out is tough (well it was for me anyway), steep in spots. I did in and out with my 2 dogs in about 4 hrs. there are a couple nice spots for the dogs to get water along the way, even in August in a drought year. Overall a great workout with beautiful trees and meadows along the way.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

great trail. hiked part of it yesterday. Got to the trailhead too late (6pm) to hike whole thing but I'm definitely going back.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Out for the Trout opener this weekend 4/28/12, Hit the first 2 miles of snow covered but manageable downhill trail until the first of the Giant Sequoia's of the grove where the snow stopped. The old Generals are very impressive bring a camera!. 3.3mi from the trailhead to the George Bush Sequoia Monument and your about halfway to the Boys Camp on your map located near the junction of Freeman's creek and soda springs creek. The trail to the Forks of the Kern is also near this junction. Passing the inviting Green pastures of Loyd's Meadow we continued Following a very lightly used trail through moderate to Difficult terrain hiking down the canyon following a secluded part of the Freeman creek canyon, camping next to a slew of cascading waterfall pools over smooth Granite terraces. The deep creek pools nearing the river junction of Freeman creek canyon and the Kern river are full of Trout, but also perfect for a swim. I Managed to pull out a limit of 5 Native Rainbows, 4- 10in pan sized fish, and one huge 16incher. Feeding 4 men an awesome Trout dinner. Saw fresh Deer and Bear tracks near camp- I recommend taking precaution of food stores with a bear canister or learn to tie a bear bag. Next to the roar of the river you'd never hear your bag getting ripped into. Saw the ISS - international space station pass overhead at night and listened to jets hit the sound barrier by day. The hike out was steep and uphill nearly the whole way past the George Bush Tree. Look for views of "the Needles" and "Hermit Rock" formations above you on the hike out. Enjoy! Challenge to beat my 16incher on 4lb line.!!!!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Amazing, secluded trail. Beautiful groves, wonderfully green meadows. We went in July and weather was great. Started at the top and hiked down to the creek, spent the night, and then hiked back up the next day. It was a steep hike back up, but fun none the less. Truly appreciated every breeze that we could catch as we hiked uphill. Great campsite at the creek with a fallen tree creek side. We saw two other families hiking the entire time. Dog Friendly!!

Thursday, September 08, 2016