Freel Peak Trail

Freel Peak Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October.

This is a HARD trail - Very primitive. Very sandy, rocky. Difficult to get traction last 2 miles up. About a mile in you hike through some tall dense grasses and shrubs. Trail only 6" wide and very wet. Easy to get stuck and slip. From there it's sandy and pretty soft the rest of the way. Bring bug repellent or don't go! Amazing views and you are walking on snow packs at the top - even in July! Will take you 4-6 hours depending on shape. Would recommend for experienced strong older teens and up. Wear proper boots, pack out plenty of water and make sure you have good walking stick - especially for way down as you are literally sliding back down the sandy paths.

Beautiful hike bring plenty of water and snacks allow plenty of time

Monday only had a couple of hikers. Annual hike up Freel Peak was such a challenge. Soggy mud and endless sand. But the last mile up to the peak was its own reward.

Felt so good I went to Job Sister and then realized going back up Freel Peak was even a greater challenge late in afternoon. Glad to be able to check those of my list :)

Smoke from the tragic fires did leave the sky gray and no too good for the air. Be sure to study the sir quality before you meet this challenge

Not quite sure what AllTrails is doing with this hike. The starting marker is way off. Look elsewhere to figure out how to get to the trailhead. I included two other peaks on a hike it was about 12 1/2 miles and 5000 feet of elevation gain. The two other peaks are Job and Job's sister. This trail affords wonderful views of Lake Tahoe And Nevada. There is lots of old growth. Definitely a lot of the trail is almost Sandy granite. Do you research and you'll have a wonderful experience.

Definitely a hard, sandy trail. Also, I tracked the hike as being 6.85 miles total. I did this with a buddy in mid-Aug 2016. The first 1.5 miles of the ascent were smooth, but--until we hit the TRT around 9,600 ft.-- the journey upward was a sandy struggle. Having to constantly stop to dump decomposed granite out of my shoes every few mins until we hit TRT, it took us about 3 hours to get to the peak. Conversely, our descent was ONLY a 50 min slide down the same sandy slope. The views are well worth the hellish struggle up to the "saddle."

Be sure to bring at least 2 liters of water and a hat. There's not much tree cover towards the peak.

Note: There's a muddy section of the trail about 1 mile in... I suggest wearing waterproof boots. I made the mistake of wearing running shoes and had to deal with wet shoes (but, I guess, the sandy section of the trail did dry them up quickly).

Great hike. Great views. Went in early October and the weather was perfect. The ridge line before the final push is really beautiful. A more scenic spot for a lunch is tough to find. The switch backs next to cliffs after you leave the ridge are beautiful as well. Snow patches an inch or two deep dotted the final ascent. Definitely a great hike. Tahoe is beautiful.

beautiful views from the summit, the hike was challenging but only to where the trail meets the TRT... if you've thought about hiking a steep sandy trail, look no further

Overall not a super tough hike and it was nice to make it to the highest peak in the Tahoe.

We had a very hard time finding the trailhead. We passed it and went into Big Meadows where we asked for help. They had us turn around and we went into an unmarked forest service road on our left hand side driving back towards Luther Pass. After a very rough road, (make sure you have an SUV or truck) we finally found the trailhead. Again, not marked. The trail was difficult, I would say, and we made it to the summit in three hours. Very sandy and rocky, but absolutely stunning. From the top, the view was incredibly breathtaking. From Freel, we then continued on to tackle Job's Sister, where we lost the trail but trudged and rock climbed our way up. From there, we basically sand surfed our way down to the saddle between Job's Sister and Job's Peak. From Job's peak we took the normal trail which eventually led us back to our car. It felt like a real adventure, and fifteen miles and three summits felt like a real accomplishment.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Thankyou hiker Stan! Everything you have stated is absolutely spot on! Trailhead is NOT marked. Look for the service road behind the gate...that's it. Starts out wide and like Stan said...goes narrow. This is by far one of the hardest hikes we have ever done. I will never look at sand the same way ever again! Did this to help train in higher elevations and wow...it worked. My ankles are still mending. Take poles to help. Trail once you hit the TRT is hard to find but we did make it to top. Stan the Squirrel will be there waiting! Came home via the TRT to Armstrong Pass so all in all total hike was 14+ miles! Great view...but will never do again.