Freel Peak, Job's Sister, and Jobs Peak Loop

Freel Peak, Job's Sister, and Jobs Peak Loop is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike takes you to the summit of Freel Peak (10,886 ft) - the highest peak in the Tahoe region. From there you continue onwards to to Job's Sister (10,823 ft) and finally to Job's Peak (10,633 ft) before finally descending back to the trailhead. The hike involves a lot of elevation gain, and most of the time is spend close to or above 10,000 ft. There is now water along the way so be sure to carry plenty. The summits can be quite windy so a light jacket would be useful.

This loop is best clockwise. it took me 4hrs30min. It took just under 2hrs to summit freel. 30 min from freel to jobs sister. and 50min from jobs sister to jobs. the hike down jobs to the road is 45 min, and a 15 min walk back to the car. I am in better than average shape, 30 years old, and would rate this hike a 6 or 7 out of ten for difficulty. This was a solo mission for me, but I do not recommend others go solo without some previous experience in the mountains. also, alltrails says 11.4 miles, and strava said it was 9.5miles. best views in all of Tahoe!

Great hike. We cut it short before Job’s peak. Definitely do this clockwise. Going up from Job’s to Job’s sister and up the east side of Freel would definitely be worse than down.

Beautiful views all around difficult for certain but excellent and well worth it!

This trail is not for the faint of heart! We went counter-clockwise because the steep side of Job's Sister is extremely sandy, and we felt that would be safer (although harder) going up rather than down it.

We parked at the trailhead to Freel so we would not have to end the long hike with a mile walk up the service road. Instead we started with that, and then once we reached the trailhead for Job's peak, the climb up to the summit was pretty short, albeit steep.

After backtracking down Job's Peak, we started heading over to Job's Sister. A search on Google Earth after the fact revealed that there MAY be a better trail heading up that side of the sister; however, we could not find it while we were on the mountain face, and I'm not eager to go exploring up there any time soon. After being a bit disheartened by a grueling trek up the steep side of Job's sister and reaching a false summit, we finally made it to the top.

Once you make it to this point, it's easy-peasy lemon squeezy. Going down Job's Sister is easy, but I do recommend trekking poles. Going up Freel from that direction is strenuous, even for my husband and I (we are 30 and 33) who are in very fit hiking shape.

From there it was smooth sailing. The trail can be a bit tricky to follow on the way down - I've done Freel twice and temporarily lost the trail both times heading back.

If you are fit and feeling adventurous, then this a great hike for you. I am glad to say I've done it, but in the future I will summit Job's Peak on a different day than Freel and Job's Sister.

I only summitted Freel, but I was planning to hike all 3. I started hiking at 9AM, thinking I would have plenty of time since a previous comment said it took them 6 hours to complete the whole hike. I'm in good shape, and would say I have an average hiking pace. It took me 3 full hours to get to the top of Freel, and that was with minimal, short breaks. Hiking to the top of Freel is hard. The elevation gain is pretty slow and steady until you get to the bottom of the mountain, then It's purely sand and very small gravel which is very hard to hike on. The sand and gravel is even harder to hike up when you're switchbacking and hiking straight up a mountain. I'm 22yrs old and fit, and I had to stop many times because it's just so damn hard to hike uphill in sand. Once at the top, I asked a couple who was up there, if they had ever hiked the whole loop. They said they had, and it took them 11 hours to do the whole hike. They also said that after the peak of Job's sister, the trail starts to become pretty spotty the rest of the hike and there's a lot of unsteady gravel going down the other mountains. They also said they do not recommend hiking it alone, as it could be easy to lose the trail by one's self, and it could be easy to get injured hiking down. They said that it is a very difficult, exhausting hike. I was so tired from just hiking up Freel that I decided to turn around and just hike back the way I came. I also did not want to tackle more elevation ups and downs in sandy gravel- talk about killing your ankles and knees. I'll probably come back and try all 3 next summer, when it stays dark later and I will know what I'm getting into. Be prepared and don't push yourself beyond your limits! Start early and plan an entire day to do this hike because it's not a fast paced, knock it out quick kind of hike. Give yourself time to enjoy the beautiful views.

Drive slow on the forest service road! it's very rocky with deep holes and pits in some areas. It's also a skinny road at times with no room for 2 cars to pass at the same time.

My ‘95 Toyota Avalon made it up the forest service road, just have to watch for rocks! Only 4 vehicles in the “lot” on a Friday at 945am when I started and two when I got back around 4pm. Beautiful views at the top, barren sandy moonscape. I didn’t see anyone for the last 4 hours — from the climb up Freel and over to Jobs Sister & Jobs Peak (clockwise). Don’t know why you’d want to do counterclockwise as ascent of Jobs Sister from Jobs would not be fun at all. Super sandy and steep. Was a bit delirious at top (from altitude I think) and it was quite cold and windy up there too.

Great hike. Had perfect weather. Earned beer and dinner after this hike. Clockwise is easier.

A group of four of us did the complete loop, counterclockwise. We parked where the Armstrong Trail comes out to Willow Creek Road and then walked up to where the trail begins to head up to Jobs Peak. We wanted to make it so that our car would be closer when we finished the hike, and thought we'd rather walk up the road in the morning while we had more energy. This was a really good decision.

The hike was pretty straightforward, with the exception of climbing Jobs Sister. There is not a distinct trail. We tried to stay close to the ridge and go pretty much straight up, so we wouldn't come down in elevation too much and have a longer way to the top. This was the most difficult part of our day. The way up was sandy and steep, and we were feeling pretty insecure about our footing during various parts of the climb. We ended up near a false peak that had a mason jar with the log book in it, but turned out to be a rock outcrop that was hiding the actual peak from our view. Luckily, we found that we could head left and go around this outcrop, and then the peak was fairly easy to reach. If we ever do this hike again, we would try heading more left from the lower ridge and climbing up that side (closer towards Freel), than the way we did it. When we got home and checked Google Earth, we would actually see some footprints from people going up that way.

Freel was a short, but steep climb, and then we headed down to the TRT and made our way south to the Armstrong trail and out. Our GPS told us that we had gone a total of 13 miles and we did not do anything extra beyond the loop pictured here, so I'm not sure why it's listed as 11.4 miles. It was almost a mile walk up the road, so maybe they're not counting that, but there's no way to do this loop and avoid that walk, unless you bring two cars.

The views were amazing and even though it was a long, tough day, the accomplishment was worth it!

Our counter clockwise route to bag all 3 peaks was the masterwork of our Sierra Club group hike leader. And what a success—all 12 of us made the triple! We took the usual direct route from Horse Canyon up to bag Job, then after summiting, backtracked over and down to the deep saddle between Job’s Sister. From there we climbed up the very steep slope to Sister staying initially on the rockier terrain to the right, then higher up traversing left to a rock outcrop just below the first ridge saddle west of the peak. This was by far the toughest stretch of the hike (and certainly tougher than any stretch of a clockwise “triple”), but our group was comfortable with the steepness and footing, and once up to the saddle, the final climbs up Job’s Sister then over to Freel were a relative breeze. The key to cutting significant time and mileage off our hike was the cross country route our leader took us back down to Horse Meadow from the ridge saddle just below Freel’s east side. The deep sand here made the very steep initial descent seem more like skiing, but we flew right down. Farther down we had some modest bushwhacking through low brush for awhile, then finally some tricky maneuvering through heavier thickets and a creek crossing before reaching a dirt road and a 1/4 walk to our cars. This direct cross country descent worked out very well for our group, but it might not be recommended for the faint of heart or hikers not experienced with the Freel/Horse Meadow area and/or off-trail navigating. The counter clockwise route we took is a good option to bag the triple, but only if you are up to the grueling climb up Job’s Sister from the deep saddle between it and Job. If that doesn’t whip you, the rest is easy.

verry hard hike when you get to the top and you get topit is worth it

a. hard traul with awesome vews did all 3 peaks i think the best is to freel peak to freel first an take polls is is hard getting down freels sister i would not want to go up

Only a few snowfields left up top, but easy to get around. Did this 06/27/2018, beautiful trek. I’ve done this loop starting with Freel before but today was my first time doing it counter clockwise. It’s definitely doable this way but comparing the two, starting with Freel and working your way toward Jobs is substantially easier. The trail up the backside of Jobs Sister is very steep and sandy, luckily it’s not a particularly long stretch but it can definitely take the wind out of your sails. All in all a beautiful hike and a beautiful day in the Sierras!

Just got back from this awesome hike (early June). The Tahoe Triple Crown was on my bucket list.

There’s still snow 0.5-2 feet in some areas which makes finding the trail difficult. If I were to do this again, I’d wait until late July or August. I got lost a few times which added unnecessary miles and anxiety to my trip. I had the gpx loaded on my Garmin that helped greatly.

Enter off Forest Service Road 051 — put the following coordinates in Google maps (38.7913412,-119.9328102). Definitely recommend an AWD vehicle with high clearance. If you’re hitting Jobs Peak first (counter-clockwise, I think people recommend that) drive to the very very end. The road does end. If you’re hitting Freel first (clockwise), park at the first round about.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Don't go counter clockwise! The Jobs sister to Jobs has no trail and very loose gravel. Took all of our energy :/

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Great work out and best views of Tahoe! Go to Freel peak first and work your way to the others. Also go in the morning!!! We got caught in a hail storm on our first attempt and bring plenty of water.