For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Freel Peak, Job's Sister, and Jobs Peak Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(132)
El Dorado National Forest

Freel Peak, Job's Sister, and Jobs Peak Loop is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 11.4 mi Elevation gain 3,825 ft Route type Loop

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

The hike takes you to the summit of Freel Peak (10,886 ft) - the highest peak in the Tahoe region. From there you continue onwards to to Job's Sister (10,823 ft) and finally to Job's Peak (10,633 ft) before finally descending back to the trailhead. The hike involves a lot of elevation gain, and most of the time is spend close to or above 10,000 ft. There is no water along the way so be sure to carry plenty. The summits can be quite windy so a light jacket would be useful.

Drive east on Hwy 50 to Myers Junction in Lake Tahoe, turn right on SR 89 drive towards Luther Pass. From the Luther Pass sign just before the descent to Hope valley go south 0.8 miles until you see a paved left turn. Turn left, the pavement ends abruptly and turns into a dirt road which may require a high clearance vehicle. Travel about 3.4 miles until you cross the second bridge and park on the left near the unmarked trailhead. The trail head crosses a new bridge back over the last stream crossing.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (134)
Photos (593)
Recordings (102)
Completed (190)
Kylan Hurt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!Scramble

Great hike but DO NOT GO COUNTER-CLOCKWISE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! Got the trailhead around 7:15 AM and started heading counter-clockwise because some people on here suggested it. First summit was relatively quick and was nice encountering zero people BUT... once I had to ascent the second peak it became clear why clockwise is the recommended route: INSTEAD OF SLIDING DOWN THE LOOSE GRAVEL I WAS TRYING TO ASCEND UP IT. This used up a ton of energy and was just plain frustrating. The clockwise route is designed to make it an easy ascent and descent. If you love treading gravel then go ahead and go counter-clockwise, but you have to be a masochist to enjoy that. After getting to the third peak I started my descent down the whole mountain and had no issues. Started to get warm for the last hour or two, but luckily my 2.5L of H20 was just enough to make it back to the car. Left at 7:15 AM and returned to car at 2:45 PM. So 7.5 hrs to do it. Many people may be able to go faster but going down even moderate declines causes issues for my knees. My advice: 1.) Go clockwise (unless you're a masochist) 2.) Bring sunscreen since the peaks are very exposed 3.) 2.5 L of H20 or more, if I did it again I'd bring 3 Liters 4.) When gettin off of the main road to turn in towards the trailhead, just keep following the dirt road for 10-15 min.

John R. Kee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Spectacular, but start early and I suggest going clockwise. That way you have a bailout exit if weather or fatigue catch up with you. Made it up all three summits but I was moving fast to get off the final summit of Job’s Peak. Too much time in good conversations with other hikers on summits of Freel & Job’s Sister. It was worth every bit of effort! One special note... on the summit of Job’s Sister, I was talking with another hiker (Richard) as this other hiker with a huge pack and dog was coming up from Job’s Peak. As he got closer, Richard realized he was packing his child on his back. At the top we met John, his dog Moli, and his daughter Aprila, who is 18mos old. John did all 3 summits with Aprila and I know he did because we met again as we looped around. Wow, what an awesome family!!!!

Bryan Francis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingGreat!

Completed this hike going in the clockwise direction and was so thankful we did. By the time you hit the 3rd and final summit, you want a short return back to your car. The views from the top of all 3 peaks are incredible, and the weather was perfect (no jackets required at the peaks). We began at 6:30am and were back to the car by 2:30pm with stops at all 3 peaks. I would highly recommend hiking poles because the footing going up and down all 3 peaks is loose granite pebbles/sand. You will want the extra traction of poles for this hike. Coming down Job-Sister Peak was pretty technical with no clear trail in sight and very loose ground underneath you with every step. You're pretty much just finding a way down by any visible path. If you don't use the AllTrails "Pro" version, I'd highly recommend it because downloading the maps and using the GPS has been a lifesaver on many trails, especially this one. Not all of the trail is easily visible, and having the reassurance of the GPS, makes the trek much more enjoyable. Our trip totaled 12.5 miles and we finished exactly at the 7-hour mark. I'd recommend having at least 3 liters of water with you because there is no place to refill along the way and this hike will take a toll on you physically. I went through 3.5 liters over the course of the 7 hours.

Zara Fong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingScramble

I hiked the counterclockwise loop yesterday (7/25/20), and it took me 7.5 hours (including some solid meal breaks on the summits). It was a marked trail as some areas required a bit of scrambling up loose dirt but the path was generally straightforward. While it was well shaded in some areas and exposed in others, sunscreen, water and a hat are a must! I carried 1.5L of water, a breakfast burrito, protein bar (in case), a layer for the summits, and wished at some points i had a hiking stick for the incline suspension, but it was not necessary. The views were stunning and if your legs didn’t burn to get up Jobs, then they’ll burn through the next two peaks :) it was definitely a struggle trudging up to Jobs Sister while others coming from the other direction were dirt skiing down! Super fun hike and despite some loud thundering, the weather was perfect.

Tim Gorsuch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

Great day outside with friends. Hike took us 8 hours spending hours at the summits enjoying the amazing views. Trail was in great condition, meaning it was followable between Jobs Sister and the Jobs Peak trail.

Michael Putnam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful! On the trail at 5am with just enough light to see at first. I’d say for enjoyment, clockwise is the way to go. For challenge, counterclockwise. Absolutely amazing views from many sections of the hike and of course at the top of the peaks. I was hustling and it took me just under 6 hours with 1.5 liters of water. Though I did chug 1 more in the car right after. Have fun!

Marley Peros
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble

Pay attention at the start and stay left going clockwise on the loop, it’ll make the hike way more enjoyable. Nevertheless beautiful views of Washoe Valley and Tahoe! Don’t forget to sign the logs!

View Marley's Recording
Jennifer Celio
Hiking

We left the trail head parking around 730 in a clockwise direction. The majority of the trial to Freel was in trees with water available. The steep climb to the peek was mostly dg and difficult. One of our hikers was injured in the final ascent for this portion. We were all on top by noon. From here we made the descent (steep and hairy but BEAUTIFUL) and subsequent ascent to Job's Sister. This wasn't bad yet but going down was difficult as there was no clear trail down, more like rock skiing. Small slips on granite caused additional injuries but we were prepared with bandages, etc. Finally we were on our last leg to Job's. This kicked our butt, but we made it. Like zombies, we made our way down back close to 6. Now tips: sunscreen, chapstick, and a hat were a must, all trails map super helpful, though battery drains if you record (my phone died on the descent and I did not get the length of our hike), set of poles, proper footwear, water with electrolytes, ibuprofen or acetaminophen, good snacks. Lastly, I have a really bad knee (knee replacement bad) and I taped my knee prior to the hike and wore my brace only on the final descent and my knee held up wonderfully, I highly recommend it.

View Jennifer's Recording
Eric Robbins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2020
Hiking

Hiked today (6/7) — all clear of snow. Beautiful views from the tops of Freel and Job’s sister. The trail between the peaks is largely unmarked, and the trails up all three involve lots of scree. Of the three, Job and Freel were the best marked and accessible.

David Dully
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

TH recon when I saw the gate open as I was driving by.

View David's Recording
Joseph Gretler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
HikingScrambleSnow

Completed 6/7/20. really enjoyed this hike we took the counter clock-wise route which I would highly recommend. The total mileage was closer to 15 in total. The beginning of the trail was well maintained and defined however after the summit of Freel the trail all but disappeared. A good portion of trail between Freel and Jobs peak is covered in icy snow which was very fun to traverse but pretty hazardous without the proper gear. I was equipped with some heavy duty hunting boot which were great for the support they offered however in hindsight they may have been a bit heavy for the extensive climbing. I also brought a long a 3 liter water skin and trekking poles. The extra water was a good move I ended up needing almost all of it. I'm pretty sure my water ended up freezing when I was on the summit of Jobs sister. I also had an insulated layer of clothing, a warm puffy jacket, and gloves which were all essential for the cold weather. The weather took a turn for the worst right after we got down from Jobs peak and we ended getting in to some pretty nasty snowfall. Which was great but added another level of difficulty to the final descent. The trail was nearly impossible to find but thankfully my buddy had GPS signal and we were able to find the road eventually. All in all a great hike with some really fun challenges thrown in. Looking forward to doing it again only hoping to complete it significantly faster. I will definitely be attempting this with a much lighter gear load out.

IM JM
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
HikingScrambleSnow

Started counter clockwise completed 6/14/20. I agree the actual mileage is much higher than the posted 11.4. We parked halfway to the trailhead for jobs peak so we’d have less to walk on the road when we finished. Short steep climb to jobs 2k feet in 2ish miles. Then it’s down 1k and up 1k. Not much of a trail going to jobs sister. Very steep sandy soil. It went on forever. The top was beautiful! The traverse to freel was better. There was a large snowfield so we used spikes. Nice trail and climb to the summit. It took us 9.5 hours. Tough day but extremely satisfying! Tahoe is beautiful! Side note we went up Freel the week before and it was windy and very cold in the 20s. My face froze! Awesome place. Mark this off the bucket list!

Joey Page
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailScrambleSnow

Completed on 6/7/20. Actual mileage was over 15 miles. Took us 10.5 hrs. Took the clockwise route, probably the more-managable choice. Views from Jobs Sister was my personal favorite, Freel was a close 2nd, and Jobs was the least-impressive but still was awesome! Pretty cold & windy as tits during this hike (especially on peaks). Was expecting a small shower according to weather, experienced waves of light powder throughout, then got dumped on w/ snow during decent from Jobs peak to the car. Lost the trail & visibility due to snow coverage, but as long as you have a good sense of where you are in relation to the parking lot, should have no issues (GPS helps). Good amt of snow in between Freel & Jobs Sister, so be careful if you don't have crampons, poles. We mostly stuck to the ridges, which kept us on track and probably safer. Went through 3L of water, that was just enough. Bring a higher-clearance vehicle. Not sure how a Civic would do on this road in from 89. Excited to do this one again, hopefully in much less time so I can sleep better at night.

Phillip Remington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 3, 2019
Hiking

Bagged all three peaks today, weather was outstanding cold in the shade started with head lamps for the first 20minutes. No bear to report trail had mild traffic only ran into people on the peaks, Basically had the place to ourself.

Renee Hanshaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 2, 2019
Hiking

After reading reviews, we were sort of indecisive about which direction to go, but we chose counterclockwise to 1. get the hard steep hike out of the way and 2. if we lost the trail between Jobs and Jobs Sister, we would be on the earlier side of finding our way and hiking out on the TRT to the car would be easier. Fortunately, after this crazy excursion, we made to the car by 5:30 and we left by 8:30am. We parked at the start of the Freel Peak trailhead and walked the road (about a mile) to get to the start of Job's Peak trail. Everything is fine, but it is super steep. It took us just under 2.5 hours to get there. From the car to the peak and back to the intersection is supposed to be about 4 miles according to Alltrails. We clocked about a 1/2 mile more and we were on trail. Now the fun part starts. THERE IS NO ESTABLISHED TRAIL FROM HERE TO JOB'S SISTER. We did the best we could following Alltrails maps, but managed to get offtrail here. As everyone has said, it is super sandy and loose decomposed granite. If you were to come down this way, it might be easier just to have skis/snowboard and ride the sand down. Anyway, we all had poles and were super thankful as we used every bit of energy we had to pull ourselves up this way. As someone else said, don't go this way (counterclockwise) unless you like pain or you are training for Mt. Everest. We finally made it in 2.5 hours. The trail between Jobs Sister and Freel isn't bad, but it is one last push uphill and it was hard after we had no energy left. That saddle between those two peaks has best views of Lake Tahoe. We saw a few people at the peaks, but trail was not crowded. IF I ever go back, I will do this clockwise. Another thing to note - our friend clocked this at 13.6 miles, and we did not venture that far off the trail (maybe .7 miles). Carry plenty of water (even in fall/winter) as I went through 100 ounces by the time I got to the car. And the road off of Hwy 89 going to trailhead is pretty rough (this adds about 30 minutes of driving time since you cannot go fast). Bring a vehicle with enough clearance.

Blake Matheny
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2019
Hiking

Ran into a stubborn bear and turned back.

View Blake's Recording
Natalie Swartz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 13, 2019
Hiking

Breathtaking views and challenging terrain. A perfect hike, but the trail is tough to follow. Got off trail quite a bit. Make sure you start early in the day. We started midday and ended up hiking the last two miles in the dark.

Rachel Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 12, 2019
Hiking

This was an epic, but very challenging, three summit journey. The “trail” between the peaks is quite steep and poorly maintained. At times, I felt like I was scree skiing.

Aaron M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2019
HikingMuddyRockySnow

Only got to do Freel today, Definitely gunna come back and do all three. bad weather today. Awesome trail though

View Aaron's Recording