EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Freel Peak from Armstrong Pass

Freel Peak from Armstrong Pass is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Markleeville, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,634 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Traverses the path of the Tahoe Rim Trail from Armstrong Pass and then up the scree to awesome vistas. Traversing the path of the Tahoe Rim Trail from Armstrong Pass to the saddle below Freel Peak is the "moderate" portion of this hike, and the final mile to the summit is only moderately-strenuous; however, the vista is breathtaking. Freel Peak, 10,881 feet above sea level and the highest peak in the Lake Tahoe region, is named for James Freel who squatted on land at the base of the mountain formerly known as "Bald Mountain" and serves as the eastern most summit of the Sierra. If peak bagging is your thing, Job's Sister and Job's Peak are within easy reach of Freel Peak's summit and would make excellent additions to this hike with minimal effort. Possible seasonal road closures limiting vehicle access. Please check the Alerts & Notices page of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest before your trip.

Like a walk in the park. Beautiful maintained trail that almost seems manicured in some areas. The trail is pretty gentle until the last mile. The elevation and incline will get your heart rate up here. Just relax take your time and enjoy the beauty around you.

This is my favorite trail. The wild flowers were amazing. On Monday, as a preview hike for the peak,we continued from the saddle to Star lake. The lake is a gorgeous alpine lake. (12mi). On Thursday we returned and hiked up to Freel Peak..(10 mi)) The earlier in the day,you leave for this hike the cooler and more pleasant it will be. Check the weather for possible thunderstorms in the afternoon. The 3.1 mile road to the trail head is terrible. A high clearance SUV or truck is recommended.

I agree with other reviewers: spectacular views and only very difficult for the last mile. All the snow is melted from the trail (finally!) and it’s a pretty moderate climb while you’re on the Tahoe Rim Trail - in fact I brought my five year old today, and he made it to the summit (no carrying at all and no whining until the last half mile at the top!). I have done this hike several times now, and my least favorite part by far is the forest road leading to the trailhead. It is extremely bumpy, pitted, and at times, narrow; however, there are always a couple of 2WD sedans that are at the trailhead so it’s not impossible without four wheel drive. Start early as it does get hot, and most of the trail is exposed.

Hiked to Freels 7/3 with my 20 and 14 yr old daughters , we camped overnight at the summit to witness amazing sunset and sunrise the next morning. Trail is only covered on a small section the last mile of the hike. We have hiked freels before but camping at the summit was a first and recommended if you want to see a great sunset and sunrise . Bring the right gear to stay overnight, wind can get crazy up there , lucky for us there was zero wind. And of course , leave no trace behind, you pack it in, you pack it out!

views to die for

one of my favorites

PSA: the gate from horse meadows trail head is closed to vehicles for the season.

Did this for the second time last Monday; the trail itself isn’t very strenuous until the last mile to the peak. I’m sure if you only hike once a year the whole trail will feel strenuous, but for more advanced hikers the last mile will be the hardest part. Beautiful views of the entire lake from the top, so definitely worth the work. Other reviewers have said the trail is hard to follow, but that is really not the case. It’s very straightforward and easy to follow!! (There are also not really any rock cairns so if that’s what you rely on to follow a trail then I could see how it would be hard for you)

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Great route to take!

Thursday, October 11, 2018

This hike is becoming one of my favorites. I did it twice this past summer, and the views are simply incredible and worth every ounce of effort you put into it. For me, the most treacherous part of the day was getting to the trailhead on the service road. It is extremely rocky and pothole-y. However, I did see regular sedans and passenger vehicles at the trailhead, so an SUV is not technically required. Much of the hike has no shelter from sun or wind, so be sure to bring plenty of water and sunscreen. The cairns along the way were helpful when the trail was difficult to follow. We decided to traverse over to Job's Sister after summiting Freel. It was worth the extra effort, but I did not bring trekking poles with me and I ended up wishing I had. Much of the trail is full of gravel, scree, and sand. Getting back down, we did lose the trail, but it wasn't too difficult to get back on track. Definitely a five star hike, and I'm looking forward to the next time I can do this one.

Sunday, September 09, 2018

I give it 5 for the views. I went up last september. The first time in 20 years. The hard part is the last mile to the top of freel where the log is with the ammo can loaded with booklets you cant sign because, every one signed the booklets. I didn't think it was hard, just, I was out of shape. With rods in my lumbar and a plate in my neck, that was the best day I had in 12 years. I found where we had a small fire at the top back in 97. The burnt wood is still there. To me it's an easy hike. Slow if you are out of shape. The trail from Fountain place road no longer crosses private property and has not since 2003. The bridge crossing the creek caved in during the winter ,so, you can still cross with out getting wet. It's the altitude that slows you down, not the climb.

Monday, February 19, 2018

Loved this hike, but it was definitely an advanced hike, and the trails are hard to follow or know where to even start. You really need to do your homework on this one so that you know where you are before you head up the mountain.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Epic view from the peak worth the climb

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Fun

Friday, September 23, 2016

We hiked Freel Peak as the first in the Tahoe Triple Crown which includes Freel Peak, Job's Peak and Job's sister. It was a crazy windy day with gusts over 50mph at Job's sister. 12 miles in total. A GREAT way to spend the day, but would avoid a super windy day. For the most part, the trails were easy to follow. We have a full write up of all of the peaks at http://hustzkergies.blogspot.com/2016/09/TahoeTripleCrown.html

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

It's a moderate hike via the Armstrong pass to the Freel Peak summit, I am glad to have done this hike.