Franklin Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Carpinteria, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The south end is at Carpinteria High School and starts enclosed in fencing. This opens up to tight switchbacks that climb to utility roads. The utility roads are well signed as the route twists and rolls through the foothills. After 5.7 miles, trail leaves the road and climbs to the top. This section is still rough with many obstacles. After 8 miles, the Divide Peak OHV Route is reached. The trail continues directly across this but may be hard to see. Follow the overgrown flatter area west through reaching trees and it should become easier to follow as it goes. Alder Creek Camp is about 0.6 miles below and easily recognized. Blackberries toward the bottom can make travel there difficult as well as the initial navigation up the trail from that side.

On Saturday September 8, I returned to this hike solo, starting before 7am this time with 5 liters of water. This hike is a good test of my fitness as you gain 2000 feet in the last 2.7 miles after you leave the fire road and head into Los Padres on the trail. And I am not talking switchbacks here, the last 2.7 miles to the Divide Road go straight up and can be a little treacherous as the trail has eroded in places. And it was HOT. I finished my water coming back when I hit the fire road and I had five miles to go! Lots of trucks surprisingly on a weekend. Love this hike, as I stumbled off the trail some nine hours later, I was exhausted and exhilarated.

My son and hiked to mile 4 marker on Thursday August 16 and it was hot! We started late, 10:30am, but even if we had started when we planned too, we still would have needed more water to get to the top. We brought about 8 liters between us and ran out coming down. Great hike with lots of up and wildflowers and budding oaks in burn areas. Lots of truck traffic on fire road including a watering dust suppressant truck that passed us coming and going. All trucks were courteous, slowing down or stopping for us but at least half a dozen passed us. Really looking forward to hiking the top soon.

I was visiting from AZ and was looking for a 10-12 mile out n back trail run with a good elevation and this trail was absolutely perfect. The first 2-3 miles on single track were pretty much all climbing, then it joined a Jeep trail/service road and it was rolling hills and some more great climbs. I stopped at the end of the road at 5.5 miles out and turned around. I ran at sunrise and the views were absolutely incredible with mtn views to one side and ocean views ocean in the distance on the other. The great thing about the trail is that I can be done by any skill level and at any pace. I def plan to come back next time I’m in the Ventura area.

Trail is SPILLING over with wildflowers! Also even though the Thomas Fire came through this area there is so much new growth in the understory - it’s beautiful! Nice bench to eat a snack at at 2 miles, and another one at 3. You will not be disappointed, don’t skip this one!

Love this trail

This is not an easy trail. Elevation gain of 3,700 ft in 7.9 miles if you take the whole trail to Divide Peak. Starts at the height school and after single track switchbacks up the hill the trail opens to the fire road. Sadly, this area was heavily damaged by the 2017 Thomas Fire, but still worth the trip for a good workout. Horses, dogs and mountain bikes are allowed on this trail.

I did last Sunday November 12 with my friend.
we started early like 6 am.
finished 1:30pm.
this course is wonderful and little challange to us but we did safely.
we didn't see the many people coming up when we are coming down.
that was little weird because this trail is so good to climb for good excise and has a good view of ocean.
we promise to come back again soon
if someone wants a good excise try this one. and good luck!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Can be super views, especially out to the Channel Islands in the evening light. Strava on my Android says it is 17 miles (round trip) between the high school and Divide Peak Road. Bring water on a hot day!

Sunday, March 05, 2017

I've hiked this trail a couple times and the sights are amazing. Definitely prefer hiking it in the spring because it is extremely lush and has TONS of wildflowers! It is more dry and dead in the fall.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

This Trail is so much fun and beautiful, you hear the roosters if you go in the mornings, you see a lot of families with their dogs, the views are amazing, the scenery is unbelievable

Sunday, February 12, 2017

This Trail is a lot of fun

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

If you take the trail to Jameson Lake and back it'll run you a solid 20 miles. Worth the hike to divide road, amazing views and a good feel of what the back country offers.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

This trail is so much fun, challenging, family friendly and great scenery to take pictures

Friday, July 01, 2016

Hard but worth the challenge and accomplishment

Friday, May 06, 2016

Took this trail in April. Well maintained, wide enough mostly for two people to walk side by side. Only went as far as Frank's Bench. Loved the view from there. Would love to take again further into the mountains. Lots of flowers, some poison oak but very clearly off to the side. Lots of bugs, recommend light weight pants - my fiancé felt very annoyed by their buzzing all around constantly. We saw one bunny and a few lizards.

Monday, December 07, 2015

Beautiful views

Sunday, December 29, 2013

we loved it. starts by the high school now. all newly done. very nice

recorded Franklin Trail