Franklin Lakes Trail

Franklin Lakes Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sequoia National Park, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Lookout Point Entrance: Drive eastward on Mineral King Road to the fork at the end. Follow the right side of the fork to the Eagle/Mosquito Parking Area. (This is the trailhead for the Eagle Lake Trail.) Walk back to the bridge that crosses the river and follow it. Turn right on the dirt road that leads to the Mineral King Pack Station. Pass the corral and look for the Farewell Gap Trail sign.

Just hiked this yesterday. Unbelievable hike. So pretty. There were wild flower blooms along the trail for a good portion of it along with snow patches.

It was not an easy hike with the gear I had (>40lbs and also my first solo backpacking trip) but it was so worth the views at the lake. Franklin Lake is gorgeous and the sunset is magnificent there.

I'm concerned about camping here ... did you guys see bears? Should I bring any bear spray or something to help just in case I see one?

Trail is nice and eazy with AWSOME veiws, however, not many places to camp at the lakes. we hike up Franklin Pass and into Forester Lake. Not much farther and a lot more spots to camp.

My favorite Mineral King hike. I'd definitely recommend camping at the first campsite with the bear box. It's an easy 5 minute hike to the dam, and then on to the shoreline.

Nice even accent to Franklin Lakes from the trail, does take a bit of getting used to as it is a 3000 ft gain. Lake is a nice Alpine Lake with excellent views back down the canyon and up towards Farewell Gap. Late season had few mosquitoes and flies, so very present. Easy rest spot before continuing up to the pass and over to Rattlesnake Canyon and up to Lake Forrester.

I tried earlier in season couldn't make it due the water fall. But tried again last week as a day hike and loved it so much that I went back for my first backpacking trip ever it was definitely more difficult with a 30 lb pack but still worth it:)

Monday, August 15, 2016

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Lots of water ways to cross we didn't make it past the 3 rd water ford it was way to powerful for us to chance only made it 3 miles in we turned back and hiked up Eagle lake still difficult but doable

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Monday, February 23, 2015

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

We've hiked this trail a few times before, but this was the first time that we ran into snow. The sun was out and the weather was awesome. We had a few marmots to deal with though. They stayed away from our gear. The trail had a variety of beautiful views; Wildflowers, waterfalls, pine trees, and snow covered granite. It is definitely a challenging trail but well worth the effort.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Went on a 4 day trip to the Franklin Lakes this summer and had a great trip. The hike up strenuous so be in shape. Lower Franklin was nice and the fishing kept us busy. Took a quick hike to upper franklin (lots of boulder hopping) but it wasn't much besides really cold. I plan on doing this one again next year.