Franklin Canyon Site Trail

Franklin Canyon Site Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beverly Hills, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 206 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Directions from Sherman Oaks, CA: (Upper Franklin Canyon) Take Highway 101 / Ventura Freeway to Coldwater Canyon Avenue. Drive 2.5 miles south. At the intersection of Mulholland Drive and Franklin Canyon Drive (directly across from Coldwater Canyon Park), turn right onto Franklin Canyon Drive. Go half a mile and turn left at sign for Wm. O. Douglas Outdoor Classroom. Park in lot on left next to nature center. Note: to reach Lower Franklin Canyon, continue south on the reservoir road and Franklin Canyon Drive. Bear left on Lake Drive to reach parking areas.

It was an amazing reservoir. There was ducks, shade, and a clear trail. Secluded on a Sunday morning, lots of parking.

Film crew had equipment everywhere but didn’t distract from a great hike around the lake. A nice fall getaway not too far from the city

This park is lovely, but has many invasive grasses and mustards that need to be removed. The smaller trails are terribly overgrown. They are currently filming (probably at night) through Dec 2019 and there are security guards everywhere.

Trail is VERY hard to find/ stay on. No signs at all

great walk. mosquitoes by the water. easy walk. a lot of shade

Great trail for beginners like me. A little more developed than I was expecting but the second half of the loop was a bit more natural. Also really cool that there’s a lake in the middle of LA.

Nice simple not too tough. Bit car-heavy around the trails though so if you’re looking for a big nature hike this is not the one.

Just as an fyi...I got a $100 ticket from the photo endorsed stop sign about 4 years ago...it said I didnt come to a complete stop. They had a link on the ticket I received in the mail so I could see the video. You could tell that they speeded up the video for make it look like I didnt stop completely. Bottom line...I never paid the ticket and my credit, license renewal, insurance were never affected. Don't pay if you get one!!!! The Santa Monica Mountain Conservancy cannot enforce it.

This place is paradise. The lake; its gigantic shy turtles, branchy skinny trail, sometimes marshy crossing on one end and low bridge road at the other? Well it was like a second backyard for my twins when they were little. God we must’ve gone to that chunk of land – which we always just called ‘the duck pond’, though the ducks were only part of the fun - yes, we were there one to two times per week for years piled on years, sometimes just with the twins, or with a nest of their pals, or of ours, or everybody’s together. Those times were golden. We hiked around the lake, without fail, then came to visit the ducks. I’m sure they always loved to see us coming, poor things. ‘Duck pond’; easy to picture and remember when you’re three and four and five.

very crowded with more dogs than people. it's close to everything which is the advantage.

Never go during week day afternoons

Trails are well maintained, easy walk, lovely lake and turtle pond. The trails could use more signs although the app did help us stay on the trail but still the signs would have been helpful and watch out for the rattle snakes.

Beautiful and peaceful. However, the trail can be difficult to find. Loved seeing all the fish, turtles and ducks though.

Update on car burglary of 4/1/19. 4 Hispanics males were observed on video tape using our cards. These thieves were observed driving a rental car according to the detective assigned to the case. SO BEWARE of unsavory characters fitting this description. Hoping they’ll be arrested in the near future.

PS: if u go to the police after after u’ve been burglarized, go to the West LAPD. This park is NOT under the jurisdiction of the Beverly Hills PD. I truly hope these thieves are caught. Carry credit cards with you. The parking area is NOT SAFE.

THIEVES PARADISE!! STAY AWAY

Don’t leave your purses or anything valuable in your trunk of car!! Had $2000 worth of things stolen from our trunk. Our purses, wallets, they took our credit cards and went to century city mall and spent $3000! What a mess we are now at the police filing a complaint. Do not leaving anything in YOUR car!! How horrible! I also had my house keys and medications and vision glasses in my purse and with Id

I would’ve given it 5 stars, but after our hike we got back to the car only to discover that someone must’ve been watching us while we walked away from the car - they broke in and stole a bunch of stuff. They did a good job of covering it up too. We didn’t notice it until we were 10 minutes down the road. Also, there needs to be more signs directing you to the different trails. Once you do find the trails they are clean and maintained.

Gorgeous little gem. Easy trail lots of places to take family or dog. Not challenging whatsoever.

Trail is so challenging to find. There needs to be better directions provided for this trail.