Franklin Canyon Site Trail

Franklin Canyon Site Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Beverly Hills, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 206 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Directions from Sherman Oaks, CA: (Upper Franklin Canyon) Take Highway 101 / Ventura Freeway to Coldwater Canyon Avenue. Drive 2.5 miles south. At the intersection of Mulholland Drive and Franklin Canyon Drive (directly across from Coldwater Canyon Park), turn right onto Franklin Canyon Drive. Go half a mile and turn left at sign for Wm. O. Douglas Outdoor Classroom. Park in lot on left next to nature center. Note: to reach Lower Franklin Canyon, continue south on the reservoir road and Franklin Canyon Drive. Bear left on Lake Drive to reach parking areas.

very poorly marked trail so use the app

It was an enchanting little hike. It is a very easy short hike for us who normally hike 5+ miles. There were sufficient amount of parking. We studied the map in the parking lot of Franklin Canyon Mounts Recreation Center but trails on the map were not really accurate (at least to us). We first hiked uphill to LA Fire Dept station 108 which was pretty steep but great short hike, and the view from there was nice. We came down and tried to find another trail toward Mullhand Dr and could not find it. So we hiked down to the Upper Franklin Canyon Lake. There were many ducks in the lake including a muscovy duck with a red face (from Mexico/South America). Then we found a nice trail by chance (and we could not find the trail on the map nor GPS) to come out to Lake Dr. half way towards where Hastain Trail was supposed to start but we could not find such trail. We wanted to go to the Lower Franklin C Lake on Lake Dr. but it was closed off by LADWP. So it was a nice casual hike but trail map and trail marks can improve. But overall, it was a nice hidden park in Beverly Hills. Many picnic spots, small streams, beautiful trees, birds, and frogs. You have to share some roads with cars.

The actual trail is very short so we took all the possible off road trails to hike for an hour. The hike has beautiful views of the pond, flowers and the maple tree.

Super pretty! It’s almost like you’re blazing a new trail. Lots of kiddos and doggos!

Good hike but in the beginning you have to kinda find the trail entrance

Great dog friendly trail, pretty heavily trafficked. Not a lot of views, but plenty of wildlife. Easy to lose the trail at the first part, probably easier to go counterclockwise for that reason.

flooded

I never knew

It was an amazing reservoir. There was ducks, shade, and a clear trail. Secluded on a Sunday morning, lots of parking.

Film crew had equipment everywhere but didn’t distract from a great hike around the lake. A nice fall getaway not too far from the city

This park is lovely, but has many invasive grasses and mustards that need to be removed. The smaller trails are terribly overgrown. They are currently filming (probably at night) through Dec 2019 and there are security guards everywhere.

Trail is VERY hard to find/ stay on. No signs at all

great walk. mosquitoes by the water. easy walk. a lot of shade

Great trail for beginners like me. A little more developed than I was expecting but the second half of the loop was a bit more natural. Also really cool that there’s a lake in the middle of LA.

Nice simple not too tough. Bit car-heavy around the trails though so if you’re looking for a big nature hike this is not the one.

Just as an fyi...I got a $100 ticket from the photo endorsed stop sign about 4 years ago...it said I didnt come to a complete stop. They had a link on the ticket I received in the mail so I could see the video. You could tell that they speeded up the video for make it look like I didnt stop completely. Bottom line...I never paid the ticket and my credit, license renewal, insurance were never affected. Don't pay if you get one!!!! The Santa Monica Mountain Conservancy cannot enforce it.

This place is paradise. The lake; its gigantic shy turtles, branchy skinny trail, sometimes marshy crossing on one end and low bridge road at the other? Well it was like a second backyard for my twins when they were little. God we must’ve gone to that chunk of land – which we always just called ‘the duck pond’, though the ducks were only part of the fun - yes, we were there one to two times per week for years piled on years, sometimes just with the twins, or with a nest of their pals, or of ours, or everybody’s together. Those times were golden. We hiked around the lake, without fail, then came to visit the ducks. I’m sure they always loved to see us coming, poor things. ‘Duck pond’; easy to picture and remember when you’re three and four and five.