Franklin Canyon Site Trail

Franklin Canyon Site Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Beverly Hills, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sherman Oaks, CA: (Upper Franklin Canyon) Take Highway 101 / Ventura Freeway to Coldwater Canyon Avenue. Drive 2.5 miles south. At the intersection of Mulholland Drive and Franklin Canyon Drive (directly across from Coldwater Canyon Park), turn right onto Franklin Canyon Drive. Go half a mile and turn left at sign for Wm. O. Douglas Outdoor Classroom. Park in lot on left next to nature center. Note: to reach Lower Franklin Canyon, continue south on the reservoir road and Franklin Canyon Drive. Bear left on Lake Drive to reach parking areas.

Easy nice route, nothing special...

Great spot to go for a mellow morning/afternoon adventure. There isn't much in terms of elevation, but if you have plans or just want a quick spot to go, this is it! The parking is free and the terrain is very pleasant. There's even a visitor's center!

*Breathtaking view of the lake is rewarding!

Very beautiful place! Easy hike and a lot of beautiful views.

This recreation area was chosen by legendary photographer Evan Klein to host the famous Highway Earth car show every summer and is an amazing combination of beautiful automobiles and gorgeous nature vistas.

I like the place, very near to where I stay nice place to spend time with nature

Never go here! There’s a stupid photo enforced stop sign at the turn to the parking lot. We slightly rolled through the stop sign and were sent a $100 ticket! We will never be returning. Most expensive hike I have ever taken. All for rolling slightly through a stop sign in a traffic-less area. GARBAGE! Screw you MOUNTAINS RECREATION AND CONSERVATION AUTHORITY! Not a legitimate way to steal money from your patrons. never again!

Do you like parking lots? Walking on paved roads? Pond insects? And unclearly labeled trails intermixed with traffic? This is the hike for you! Easy warmup trail lots of families definitely meh

If this is the same trail I hiked, I wouldn't call it easy. Probably more moderate since about 80% is an incline. We did the night hike for the equinox. It was really interesting - there are no lights so unless you have a flashlight, it's dicey! I doubt I'd do this trail during the day since there is no shade, but the view of the city at night is beautiful- especially without the noise of the city. Sadly we couldn't see the reservoir at night.

It was a little confusing, and there were very steep steps and drop-off points that lead to another trails. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has bad knees, or any other joint issue.

Gorgeous place to hike with dogs.

Great for kids

Upon getting there my wife, the dogs, and myself got lost trying to find the lake. We thought it was a trail but then a nice man told us take the road. It was a pleasant experience for our first hike back. Absolutely loved the turtles in the pond. There was one who kept trying to get closer to my dog.

I got a little lost getting there. I was lucky to find a nice lady who gave me exact directions to the trail! I loved the duck/geese/turtle/ fish pond!

It's okay, not very friendly people who walk these trails.

It's lightly populated almost anytime during the week, other than the cars Wazing through in the evening. The turtle and duck ponds are priceless. It's a half mile hike around big lake, and there are some other trails around it. It's small, but I can get lost in here for hours, leaving the crazy city life just outside the gates. As soon as you enter, it's a whole other world.

Loved the water reservoir.

Lakes

Definitely an easy walk, but a beautiful lake with many turtles and birds makes it well worth the trip. Very clean, rangers on duty, definitely a nice breath of fresh air.

Nice quick uncrowded trail with views & pretty this time of year

Peaceful walking if you stick to the lake. We ended up on a trail that took us up towards Coldwater Canyon. Nice view of the sprawling mansions nestled in the hills there. Our trail seemed to dead end at someone's house.