For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Four Mile Trail to Panorama Trail to Mist Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(50)
Yosemite Valley, California

Four Mile Trail to Panorama Trail to Mist Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Length 11.9 mi Elevation gain 4,278 ft Route type Point to Point

Photos (7553)
Recordings (37)
Completed (415)
Haley Prasad
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

First four mile trail was a tough ascent, but after that, the hike was moderate in effort with amazing views. I’ve never been on a hike where the view is incredible the entire hike. Would definitely do it again.

View Haley's Recording
Nicholas Coleman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

Loved hiking the quiet FourMile trail and being able to see El Cap and Yosemite falls. You are pretty much scaling them both from a distance. Beautiful and alone until you hit a crowded Glacier Point. Everyone at glacier point drive to the top. I saw four people on the trail. It was great. Great workout and the miles are off. On to the next trail.

John Laubacher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Did this backwards with the Mist Trail to Panorama to Four Mile. Without the shuttle this year I dropped my car at the Four mile trailhead in Yosemite valley and then walked to happy isles to start. Crowds were pretty low and the whole trail had great views. It was right about 16.5 miles for the whole thing according to my GPS watch. Highly recommend this direction due to the one way being in effect on Mist Trail this year.

Jonathan Cable
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

I hiked this route in reverse order to avoid climbing 4-mile, and I’d recommend it highly. The mist trail is gorgeous, best view of the falls, Panorama feels like it flatten out a little after the ascent to Nevada, but then it’s exposed in the sun, and the last ascent to Glacier feels rough after the already long day. I didn’t take enough water. But the descent down 4-mile with views of Yosemite Falls is breathtaking and makes it all worth it.

Mariel Klein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Amazing trail with spectacular views of the valley! We hiked on July 9 — because the shuttle busses were not running, we parked at Curry Village and walked ~2 miles to the 4 mile trailhead (then at the end of the hike it was quicker to get back to our car, just ~1 extra mile after leaving Mist Trail). All said and done, we clocked 20 miles on the trail (WAY more than the 13 miles a park ranger told us it would be) over 9 hours with lots of picture and snack stops, but it was well worth it!

Margaret McCain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
Hiking

Hiked this trail on the 13th of June, 2020. Beautiful views the whole way. Due to COVID-19, the shuttle wasn’t operating, so I started and ended the hike in Yosemite Valley Village, adding a few more miles. Wore my mask at Glacier Point, due to the number of people there. Not too many human sightings between Glacier Point & Nevada Falls. Downward traffic on the Mist trail was closed, so had to take John Muir trail down from Nevada Falls. Lots of traffic near Vernal Falls, had wished that others were wearing masks, seemed like a high exposure risk to the virus. Wore mask from Nevada Falls down the JMT to Curry Village, then walked back to the Village. Beautiful Bluebird day.

Hello Juneau
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
HikingClosedIcyRockySnow

Went in the month of February - half of the trail was open, switchbacks all the way up toward Glacier Point. It was gated off midway but my SO and I continue onward passed this sign showing the remainder of the miles. It was snowy and icy! We only stopped because the snow sloped downward that if we attempted to go further we would have been in trouble. Miraculous views! Weather was perfect, definitely worthwhile! Will have to go back to complete the entire Panorama trail.

Kyo Jade Stone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2020
Hiking

If you choose only one in Yosemite ...

Anthony Nader
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
HikingRocky

Beautiful trail. Rigorous climb up step 1:1 incline to Vernal Fall. Beautiful reward at top... a granite flume race of a riverbed with a beautiful view. Climb down is difficult .. high steps and slippery.. great place for poles.

Taylor Duncan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2019
Hiking

I did this hike sept 15th. I woke in curry village in the canvas tents, thanks to a friend I met on the trail the day before who offered me to stay with her! I dropped my car at the 4 mile parking lot and got dropped off at the most trail. I started at 7:45am. The mist trail was steep and paved until vernal falls and then stairs. There was a decent amount of people on the trail already, I’m sure it gets way more packed later in the day. I was making good time but it was very steep all the way until the top of Nevada falls. Then there’s some switchbacks up the John Muir trail and I didn’t see anyone here. I eventually ran into some people coming down from glacier point. The trail traverses for a bit with good views then drops down into a little valley and you cross a bridge. Then it’s more uphill and switchbacks. I was pretty tired and I kept coughing (I feel like it was the elevation but I wasn’t even that high up). By the time I hit glacier point I wasn’t feeling so hot because I’d done about 9 mi of climbing basically. I caved got ice cream and chips at the store. The crowds up there were a bit overwhelming. The 4 miles trail had really nice views, half Dome, El Cap, reverse tunnel view. It’s endless switchbacks. I was ready to be done once I got to my car but it was a great, scenic day in Yosemite!

Dasha Kirpichnikova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 16, 2019
Hiking

We came to the valley around 11am which was too late to do this hike out and back as it is 12 miles one way and shuttles are working till 6pm. So we made a right decision and started the hike in opposite direction: from Mist Trail, to Panorama trail to Glacier point. We parked at the bottom of Four mile hike trail and took shuttle to Mist trail trail ahead. Hike took us around 7-8h with many stops for tons of pictures and lunch at the top of Nevada Falls with the view of Half Dome. We saw sunset at a Glacier point and decided to ask for a ride down to the valley as with all our extra view points we were walking already for 12 miles and we didn’t want to add 4 more miles of hiking in a dark. It worked out well as a lot of ppl always staying in the valley and were driving there from Glacier point. This is how we didn’t make the whole hike. But I would recommend you to do the same direction just to see waterfalls in the first part of the day when they are still in a sun and as for me it is way better to walk up those stairs than down. Also you will hit Glacier point at the second part of the day when light will be smoother and you will get better pictures. Views are great from pretty much all parts of the trail which is really rewarding when you are walking for so long time.

Nathan Pyles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 2019
Hiking

This is a fantastic trail with incredible views of the Yosemite Valley and all it’s iconic landmarks. Kudos to the National Park service for their trail building and maintenance. Trail is plenty wide and there are no sketchy sections, even if like me, you are not comfortable with heights. If you are a regular exerciser you should be able to do it. Thanks to the advise of other reviewers, I left at 6:30 am to avoid the heat and sun. (High of 95 degrees) Slow and steady got me to the top in about 2.5 hours with plenty of photo ops. The views from Glacier Point are wonderful. What an amazing feeling to be looking down toward the top of El Capitan and Upper Yosemite Falls. I had planned on eating at the Glacier Point Service center but it was unexpectedly closed for the entire day. Make sure you pack enough food to get you through the entire hike. Fortunately, water was still available for bottle refills. Because I made good time up 4 Mile Trail and felt good, I took the spur trail from Glacial Point to the top of of Sentinal Dome. This added 2.4 mile and another 1000 vertical feet to the hike but was well worth it. At Sentinal you get 360 degree views of the entire area, Yosemite Valley and beyond. The hike down Panorama Trail was hot but tolerable. Probably about about 50/50 shaded to sun exposed. Took the time to soak the feet in refreshingly cold river water while finishing off my emergency food for lunch. Did find some nice fresh bear scat in the middle of the trail before Nevada Falls, so if hiking alone, make some noise. My big mistake was after Nevada Falls, choosing to go down the Mist Trail via Vernal Falls rather than the John Muir Trail. It was treacherous and technical with sand on slick, slopping granite most of the way, all the while swimming downstream against the current of hordes of day hikers in flip flops heading to the falls. TAKE the John Muir Trail! Starting at Yosemite Valley Lodge and taking the shuttle back from Happy Isle, total distance was 20.3 miles, and time was 9 hours. Without being able to refuel at Glacier Point, tank was on empty.

View Nathan's Recording
Ryan K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2019
Hiking

Great trail but pretty difficult and a lot longer than suggested. More around 17 miles. 4 mile portion is kind of a switchback slog and the mist trail would probably be better to go up than down where you have to carefully watch your step.

Ragnar Bones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2019
HikingRocky
Laura H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 30, 2019
Hiking

Nature is just totally bragging on this one. Illouette, Nevada, Vernal. You literally walk across the tops of three world-class waterfalls. The power of the water flow was incredible. And then there is Yosemite Falls in the distance. Plus Half Dome from so many angles. We started at Glacier Point and hiked down to the Valley floor on Panorama then Mist Trail. So did not do 4 mile. And it wasn’t very hard. Start early. (Do with a friend who can leave a shuttle car in the valley.) You will have the trail to yourself for 2/3s of the hike, until the top of Nevada. Then share everything with masses of people. Incredible water flow this year has brought many people to Yosemite. 10 miles, 6 hours really taking your time. Half Dome: the challenge of climbing the rock. Clouds Rest: unworldly views Panorama: waterfalls Because of our early start, shade and water at the bottom of mist trail,we only needed about 1 L water each (I added in liquid IV to mine) (Note. When you get to the valley floor take a shower, get a good meal. Relax. Do not drive your car in the valley during the day. #1 rule. It’s madness. Around dinner time go retrieve your car from glacier point. Or, alternatively just do the whole hike as a loop including 4 mile trail. We didn’t because we had so many kids in our group) J wore 2 shoes this time. Don’t forget to take Fritos. Of course waterfall flow depends on time of year. Will do again.

Megan Sanguinetti
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2019
Hiking

A beautiful hike; the changing view and angles of Half Dome and the valley below are really special. We drove to Yosemite from SF early in the morning, and started the hike from the 4-Mile Trailhead around 9am. Made it to Glacier Point near 11. The trail was trafficked but not too crowded on a late June Saturday morning. GP was teeming with tourists so we quickly proceeded to the Panorama Trail, and hiked that all the way back down to the valley, taking the Mist trail for the last leg. I'd estimate the overall distance closer to 15 mile, not the 12 miles listed here. Trail conditions were good; expect the Mist Trail to be swarmed with people. With stops and detours at every falls, plus a casual lunch break, we finished the hike around 2pm and took the shuttle on to our next destination (a drink at the lodge).

Stephanie Pearson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2019
Hiking

This was one of the best hikes we’ve ever done! Epic! The 4 mile trail up was perfect with highs in the 70’s. We completed it by 11am and got some ice cream up at Glacier Pt. We ran about half of the Panorama trail because it was flat/downhill with an easy path. It was so lush and beautiful with the peaks in the background. We started to tire towards the last half of Panarama when the trail got hot, sunny and uphill. When the scenery changed in the Mist Trail, it was a welcome relief of shade, creeks and downhill. We loved hopping down rocks, trying our best to stay out of the creeks and discovering the flowers and greenery on the rocks. The waterfalls were stunning and I wish we had more time to enjoy them but knew we had a time crunch before dark. The last part of Mist trail got us soaked! It was pretty awesome, but my kids did not appreciate being chilled to the bone and soaked. The rocks there were pretty slippery and with large puddles so need extra caution there. Rain jackets would have been great. We dried up on the way down. There was a bear sighting that same day on the Mist trail (we didn’t see any) so be watchful. We clocked 17 miles - not the 11 it’s suggesting here.

Jordan Ahistus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2019
Hiking

This trail was incredible! Hiking up Four Mile and down Panorama was definitely the right decision. The views up and down were beautiful and obviously the glacier point view was great! Definitely some tough climbing but the downhills were worse, especially on the knees. Hiking poles are very helpful! Would highly recommend this trail and would definitely start early!

Jerome Crochat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2019
Hiking

I did this hike a long time ago, but I still remember it as one of my favorite hikes ever. The view at Glacier Point is simply incredible. You can refill your water bottles there, which is convenient. It is also a bit touristy and crowded up there, but then going into the Panorama Trail, you leave the crowds behind and it is absolutely wonderful all the way back down. It is a long, difficult hike, but well worth it. There are free shuttle buses to easily take you to the start point and from the end.

Mika Seemann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 3, 2018

did it on November 1st. Yosemite Falls were dry, views still spectacular. Started at Camp 4 where the Yarts bus dropped me off, only met 3 people on the way up to Glacier point. Took me 2 hours including a breakfast break at Union point. Only met two people on the Panorama trail to the Nevada Falls, this is a pretty easy part. From the Falls towards the Valley it got busier. Took me 6 hours for 27km/17miles, did some detours here and there. All in all definitely a great hike to get different aspects of the Park in a single hike. Would recommend

Michael May
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2018
Hiking

Beautiful trail, with incredible views of the whole Yosemite valley. Way down is tough on the legs but definitely the right way to do it

Richard Arsenault
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2018
First to Review

My favorite hike in Yosemite. However I did it in the other direction, hiking up Mist Trail to Panorama, then down by the Four Mile trail. I find it more pleasant and the views more stunning this way. Left upper pines campground at 5AM, was at glacier point at 9AM and took the shuttle at the four mile trailhead to the upper pines campground at approximately 11AM. I saw literally no one between Nevada Falls and Glacier point. There were heavy forest fires when I went so the view was a little hazy and there was a strong smoke odor, but it was still very much worth it! I preferred this hike to half dome, although the cables at half dome are quite an experience... Finally, I would not call this hike Moderate but Difficult due to the distance and elevation gain. Getting from illilouette falls to glacier point was quite grueling, and the hike down from glacier point basically exhausted any remaining energy I had left in my legs.

Brian C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Donald Lloyd-Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 10, 2019
Matt Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 2, 2019
View Matt's Recording
Diana Abbasi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 28, 2019
Rick Levy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 26, 2019
View Rick's Recording