Four Lakes Loop

Four Lakes Loop is a 14 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lewiston, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Do an overnight this past weekend. This hike has amazing view, beautiful meadows full of vibrant colors. Its a steady up hill for most of the 6 miles. Its not an easy feat. Went up and over Deer Creek Pass down to Dear Lake, a few tents were up, no really good spots to camp. Even thou I was worn out by this time, we trekked on to Luella Lake, we camped here for the night, with only one other group. We had the lake to ourselves early am and took a dip. Watched the sunrise and headed on up to Diamond Lake, for me this was the highlight of all the lakes. Another steep trudge up the switch backs and up Siligo Peak, very sketchy route the last 300 feet, but bagged the peak. Head back to Deer Creek Lake and begin the 6 mile journey home. This was one intense, hard hike. But worth the blood sweat and tears. There are only a few ideal spots by each lake. The parking lot was full, but didn't run in to much more than a handful of ppl........

Went up with the Dece Scouts for a weekend of backpacking. We camped at Deer lake. There was maybe 4 other groups camped there as well. The weather was amazing and the stars were fierce.

In the morning Jing, Stani, and I did the loop clockwise and arrived back at our camp. The loop took about 3 hours with a big climb at the end. We packed up and headed out.

This place is great.

I hiked the loop this summer, across two days, and saw all four lakes on the loop and Summit Lake. Definitely a great hike and there was still plenty of snow. The hike up to Deer Pass was a little challenging, and had to climb through some snow. There were a couple places along the trail where the trial was covered in snow but overall wasn't bad and the views are definitely worth it.

Went up to the 4 lakes loop for the 4th of July weekend. There is still some snow that you go through or have to go around, but it is melting quickly. This trip is well worth it. It's 7 miles to Deer Lake with a 5,000 foot elevation gain, and another 6 around to Summit Lake. My group passed many others because they were not aware of the large elevation gains. Once you do get up over the pass, find a lake to call base camp and then hike around. We did it the hard way, and took our packs from Deer Lake, past Diamond Lake, and camped out at Summit Lake. Deer Lake and Luella have small trout, so anglers bring a pole. It is very well trafficked during the weekend especially, so you will not be alone up there!

I hiked this during the summer time with some of my trail crew family while working near there this summer. we started from Mumford Meadows on Swift Creek Trail. It is a bit of an uphill but totally worth it. We hit all 4 lakes starting with Deer and ending with Luella, the best way otherwise you're in for some brutal uphill. We camped at Diamond but the camping area at Summit is far better. If you're into peaking, Siligo is super easy to bag. There's somewhat of a trail that leads to it before descending down to Summit lake and it provides a breath taking view.

We backpacked to Summit Lake with three families this summer starting at the Long Canyon trailhead. We had five kids ranging from age 8-11 years old and a dog. I must say it was well worth the heinous journey - approximately 7 miles to Summit Lake and 4000 feet of elevation. The meadows, the flora, the change in geology from one moment to the next phenomenal. The kids all made it to camp with some daylight to spare. Our second day we hiked the Four Lakes Loop in the clockwise direction- another 5-6 miles and 2500 feet of climbing. The views and Lakes -Summit, Diamond, Luella, and Deer outstanding! This is not a trip for the weary. If you bring kids they need to be fit and prepared for an uphill endless battle. The climbs are steep and rocky. The last mile or two a continual rocky staircase. Keep your packs light and just enjoy the trek. A trip well worth the effort. Would go back in a heart beat! Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

THIS hike takes 5 miles to reach the summit before it starts, with about 3,000' elevation gain!

I wish I would have known that before attempting it. I thought this would be a day hike. We didn't make it to even the 1st lake after the ascent because we didn't want to trek down too late, if we would have given this an early start we would have made it to at least see one. Most people hike the 4 lakes loop trail and camp overnight for a day or 3.

The wildflowers on the way up were gorgeous and the views of Shasta were worthwhile. It is quite a climb to reach the summit and not for the faint of heart. I can't only imagine with a few nights provisions it would be a very good workout.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

This trail was simply an eye opener as far as what backpacking can really be! Four ice cold lakes tucked into a gorgeous Alps like setting was more than a guy and his Dad could ask for. Hit it during the week and you will have it all to yourself. Diamond Lake on the other side of Siligo peak was like something out of a story book. Perfect little camp right under a towering pine by the lakes edge. Its quite a hike up to the loop but well worth it. A word of caution about the long canyon approach. The elevation gain is rough on the last third of the trail so be ready for a real trial on your legs.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

We did this as a day-hike while we were camped (backpacked into) Echo lake. Also hiked to top of Siligo Peak for great views. Luella looked like it would be great for swimming, but there was already a large group swimming there, so I waited til we got to Summit lake for a very cool, but refreshing dip!

Friday, March 28, 2014

Beautiful sights with moderate elevation and access to seven-up peak. I suggest setting up camp at Diamond Lake, amazing sunsets!