Four Lakes Loop

Four Lakes Loop is a 14 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lewiston, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

I hiked this during the summer time with some of my trail crew family while working near there this summer. we started from Mumford Meadows on Swift Creek Trail. It is a bit of an uphill but totally worth it. We hit all 4 lakes starting with Deer and ending with Luella, the best way otherwise you're in for some brutal uphill. We camped at Diamond but the camping area at Summit is far better. If you're into peaking, Siligo is super easy to bag. There's somewhat of a trail that leads to it before descending down to Summit lake and it provides a breath taking view.

We backpacked to Summit Lake with three families this summer starting at the Long Canyon trailhead. We had five kids ranging from age 8-11 years old and a dog. I must say it was well worth the heinous journey - approximately 7 miles to Summit Lake and 4000 feet of elevation. The meadows, the flora, the change in geology from one moment to the next phenomenal. The kids all made it to camp with some daylight to spare. Our second day we hiked the Four Lakes Loop in the clockwise direction- another 5-6 miles and 2500 feet of climbing. The views and Lakes -Summit, Diamond, Luella, and Deer outstanding! This is not a trip for the weary. If you bring kids they need to be fit and prepared for an uphill endless battle. The climbs are steep and rocky. The last mile or two a continual rocky staircase. Keep your packs light and just enjoy the trek. A trip well worth the effort. Would go back in a heart beat! Enjoy!

THIS hike takes 5 miles to reach the summit before it starts, with about 3,000' elevation gain!

I wish I would have known that before attempting it. I thought this would be a day hike. We didn't make it to even the 1st lake after the ascent because we didn't want to trek down too late, if we would have given this an early start we would have made it to at least see one. Most people hike the 4 lakes loop trail and camp overnight for a day or 3.

The wildflowers on the way up were gorgeous and the views of Shasta were worthwhile. It is quite a climb to reach the summit and not for the faint of heart. I can't only imagine with a few nights provisions it would be a very good workout.

This trail was simply an eye opener as far as what backpacking can really be! Four ice cold lakes tucked into a gorgeous Alps like setting was more than a guy and his Dad could ask for. Hit it during the week and you will have it all to yourself. Diamond Lake on the other side of Siligo peak was like something out of a story book. Perfect little camp right under a towering pine by the lakes edge. Its quite a hike up to the loop but well worth it. A word of caution about the long canyon approach. The elevation gain is rough on the last third of the trail so be ready for a real trial on your legs.

We did this as a day-hike while we were camped (backpacked into) Echo lake. Also hiked to top of Siligo Peak for great views. Luella looked like it would be great for swimming, but there was already a large group swimming there, so I waited til we got to Summit lake for a very cool, but refreshing dip!

Beautiful sights with moderate elevation and access to seven-up peak. I suggest setting up camp at Diamond Lake, amazing sunsets!