Fossil Falls Trail is a 0.5 mile out and back trail located near Little Lake, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.5 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Out & Back

recorded Recording - Oct 05, 10:11 AM

Short and easy hike to some beautiful geological features. Very unique, and only saw another pair hiking when we were there!

Easy hike - but came midday in August and it was very hot (as expected). Would love to try and find a way to the bottom of the falls to see it from that angle (as one person suggested.). A great quick stop along the 395. Took our truck over to the Little LakeOverlook and the 2 3/4 mile drive was worth it. Recommend 4 wheel drive or at least a decent clearance vehicle on the road.

Fun, beautiful and easy for a whole family to walk

Great little family friendly trail. Minus the 40mph wind gusts! Eek.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Fun short hike, there’s a cool down climb at the bottom

Mon Jul 09 2018

I am all about interesting rock formations and the rocks are definitely neat, but I imagine this trail is far more interesting to climbers and if viewed from the bottom (much like waterfalls that still flow -- always more impressive from below!). I may have to go back and attempt viewing from below or after some serious rains to see if I get lucky like one other reviewer. And I must say, it is rather interesting to imagine the life and water that once flowed through this valley.

Sat Mar 24 2018

Pretty neat spot to stop and stretch your legs

Thu Jan 04 2018

Easy and fun. We had a 3 and 6 year old. There are some drop offs so you have to keep an eye on your kids, but they had a blast climbing in and out of all the lava flow holes! Great for a stop to stretch your legs and maybe have a picnic.

Fri Apr 28 2017

I love this trail so much! I stop by here every time I am on the 395 or heading up to Mammoth. It's is all dry in the summer (which I personally love). It makes for insanely cool desert landscape and the rocks get super hot. On the way to the falls area, there is a stand with a metal box and a book inside, where you can write your name, where you are from, what date you visited, and why you visited. On the way you will find signs that tell you the history of this old volcanic site and how the Owens River used to flow through it. You can climb in and out of the falls, at your own risk of course. It's super fun and highly recommended!

Tue Apr 04 2017

So beautiful! The old waterfalls as well as the surrounding scenery. We went in April so we God to see some wild flowers, so amazing. And fun to climb around on the rocks. Took our dog and she had a blast as well!

Sun Feb 19 2017

We got lucky to come right after a huge rain storm. Flooding in surrounding areas brought these falls back to life. This is apparently a very rare occurrence as the most people will see is a trickle and not a roaring falls. I know when I return it will be dry, but I plan to return in order to do rock climbing. Even if there is no water the slick black rocks make for a gorgeous view. If you're heading up 395, make the pit stop here. It's a short hike and worth the view, with or without water.

Tue Jan 03 2017

we liked it. you can do it in 10 min just as a stop by

rock climbing
Wed Apr 20 2016

...dry. Very dry. Not what we thought we'd see but turned okay until we got tired of climbing the dry fall. Wouldn't pay for the gas to go back but if it was on the way I would consider another look.

Tue Feb 23 2016

This is a wonderful little area. Worn and smooth rock faces have petroglyphs . I would love to be here during a rainstorm to see water flow over the impressive fall face.

Sun Jul 13 2014

There are a lot of interesting things to explore around Fossil Falls! Follow the various dirt roads to new adventures.

Mon Dec 16 2013

Did this yesterday with a buddy and my 7 year old son. We had a blast!! Two free climbers told us of a cave that goes from the lowest section to the 2nd section. Plan on going back to hit that up without my lil man.

Sun Feb 19 2012

such an amazing place to hike and see the most crazy amazing rocks made out of lava. check it out

Sun Nov 20 2011

I would always pass this up when driving the 395. It was late in the day and I was tired of driving so I stopped by. Glad I did neat place climbing down the upper section to the large precipice was fun.worth a stop if you want to stretch your legs a little.

Sun Nov 13 2011

Its a nice little stroll a little crowded at times since its right on a major highway, I think it should't be open to the public just for the reason it could get vandalized, because it is an awsome natural feature there are people that dont give a darn and just ruin it for everybody else. The little trail is in good condition though.

Sun Jul 31 2011