Fossil Falls Trail

Fossil Falls Trail is a 0.5 mile out and back trail located near Lone Pine, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

44 minutes ago

45 minutes ago

I love this trail so much! I stop by here every time I am on the 395 or heading up to Mammoth. It's is all dry in the summer (which I personally love). It makes for insanely cool desert landscape and the rocks get super hot. On the way to the falls area, there is a stand with a metal box and a book inside, where you can write your name, where you are from, what date you visited, and why you visited. On the way you will find signs that tell you the history of this old volcanic site and how the Owens River used to flow through it. You can climb in and out of the falls, at your own risk of course. It's super fun and highly recommended!

So beautiful! The old waterfalls as well as the surrounding scenery. We went in April so we God to see some wild flowers, so amazing. And fun to climb around on the rocks.
Took our dog and she had a blast as well!

We got lucky to come right after a huge rain storm. Flooding in surrounding areas brought these falls back to life. This is apparently a very rare occurrence as the most people will see is a trickle and not a roaring falls. I know when I return it will be dry, but I plan to return in order to do rock climbing. Even if there is no water the slick black rocks make for a gorgeous view. If you're heading up 395, make the pit stop here. It's a short hike and worth the view, with or without water.

we liked it. you can do it in 10 min just as a stop by

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Thursday, May 05, 2016

rock climbing
Wednesday, April 20, 2016

...dry. Very dry. Not what we thought we'd see but turned okay until we got tired of climbing the dry fall. Wouldn't pay for the gas to go back but if it was on the way I would consider another look.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

This is a wonderful little area. Worn and smooth rock faces have petroglyphs . I would love to be here during a rainstorm to see water flow over the impressive fall face.

Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday, February 20, 2015

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Sunday, July 13, 2014

There are a lot of interesting things to explore around Fossil Falls! Follow the various dirt roads to new adventures.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Did this yesterday with a buddy and my 7 year old son. We had a blast!! Two free climbers told us of a cave that goes from the lowest section to the 2nd section. Plan on going back to hit that up without my lil man.

Sunday, September 22, 2013