Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail

Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June.

lovely go in December

Better for trail running than hiking. I took my young two daughters so it was a good challenge for us. No shade until the oasis.

I love this trail. It’s very well maintained for being rated moderate. I was disappointed because I didn’t see any water at the oasis but the palms are beautiful there.

Very nice trail for running. Some tough points due to elevation but overall it’s fun and safe. The oasis end point is absolutely gorgeous.

A lovely, short hike that offers some pretty views along the way and an oasis at the end.
Having started with the Ryan Mountain hike in the morning, we only got here at around noon and hiked out at about the same time that everyone else was coming back. As one would expect, it gets really hot in June (110+) but the hike isn't long and the oasis offers some shadow to rest in before heading back, making it doable even in summer. As always when hiking in a desert, just make sure that you carry a lot of water and wear a hat.

On the easy side of moderate. Hiked this Memorial Day weekend. Great length for a warm day. Very cool to see the oasis pop up amongst all the rocks. Nice shady spot for a break before heading back to the car. Sad to see tons of people going beyond the sign that marks the sensitive biological area and tells people not to go beyond it. :(

great 3 mile total hike. 2 hours, did it at about 8am to make sure we weren't overwhelmed with the heat. As mentioned by other users, entry is free and parking is readily available.

Hiked this trail in Dec 2017 with the hubs and Feb 2018 with our (grown) daughter. Loved it both times. The trail changes so much it's interesting to hike. I can see why there are warnings to not hike in summer and in heat. There is pretty much no breeze and were it not "cold" (i.e. 45-60 degrees) when we hiked, it would be dangerous. Worth it, but only in the winter.

Great and easy hike.

Ranger at visitor center commented that this hike is at lower elevation than most other hikes inside the park. It therefore is hotter.

Very scenic hike on Joshua tree. Ample parking. Bathroom at trailhead. Wide well maintained trail. Very enjoyable hike.

It was nice. I can recomend it to palm lovers.

Great hike! Definitely had me sweating at times but wasn't hard! Agree with another poster--the trail was better than the oasis but I enjoyed it all around!

Terrific short (3.5 miles ft), moderate hike. Best early AM as trail traffic increases after 10/10:30AM. Trail is actually more interesting and rewarding than the oasis.

Just enough elevation climb and diversity all around was amazing. Kids could go off trail and free climb some boulders. Loved the oasis.

Located a little south of Hwy 62 and you can do this hike without paying to enter Joshua Tree National Park. There was plenty of parking when we were there in February. There is also a bathroom at the trail head. It is pretty steep for the first .75 miles of the hike and then you go down and reach the oasis about 1.5 miles from the parking lot and since this is an out and back trail RT is about 3 miles with about 600 ft of elevation gain. We did it later in the day and it was pretty busy. Takes about 1-2 hrs to complete. Some good views and the oasis area with the palms is pretty cool.

Fun trail run

I thought this trail would be so-so because it’s very popular and heavily trafficked. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. It was our first hike in Joshua Tree and a great choice. The scenery and views are incredible. If you hike fast enough you can get a bit of a workout. The oasis is really cool and there was a ton of water there when we went.

Nice hike!! Start early and beat the heat!

Nice little hike off the beaten path in j tree. Did it in the morning so the trail was about 50% shaded. In the winter when temps are mild I’d say this hike leans on the easy side of moderate. We did it in a hour and 20 min with a fairly long rest in the oasis. I can imagine it being very challenging in the summer heat.

it was ok. the thing we didn't see no wild life at all

We hiked this with a 5 and 10 year old, challenging but doable with kids. Took an hour each way, plus some time to rest and hang out at the oasis. Most is in full sun so better for cooler months but still bring lots of water! Signs indicate people have died here due to heat.

Great moderate hike on the edge of Joshua Tree; good exercise without being too strenuous. The palms at the end really do spring up out of nowhere.

My wife and I were staying at Indian Cove Campground and did this trail during our stay. It’s right up the road from the campground. It’s another fun little hike. Clearly defined trail that I’d say is moderate. We did this in December the temperature was around 60. I’d imagine this hike is brutal when it hot. As there is little break from the sun until you get the the oasis. That said, we really enjoyed this one.

I just love this hike.

The palm trees pop out from no where. Very cool. We were there around 11am so part of them were in the shade, would have been better in the sunlight.

Awesome place to hike.

Great hike. We did it in 100+ degree temperature weather against park ranger advise. It wasn't that bad - make sure you bring lots of water and make sure you're dressed accordingly with sunscreen. It's brutal if you're not used to hiking. The Oasis is AMAZING!!!! One of the cooler hikes I've done because it just doesn't quite make sense to have something like that in the desert. Super cool.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Beautiful trail with a lovely surprise at the end. Some parts a very vertical but there has been rock steps placed to make it easier.
It has a magical way of easing you out of city life in to nature and back the other way.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

No water in the oasis today. still a pretty hike, very hot so bring water with you