Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail

Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June.

1 hour ago

Fun trail run

I thought this trail would be so-so because it’s very popular and heavily trafficked. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. It was our first hike in Joshua Tree and a great choice. The scenery and views are incredible. If you hike fast enough you can get a bit of a workout. The oasis is really cool and there was a ton of water there when we went.

Nice hike!! Start early and beat the heat!

Nice little hike off the beaten path in j tree. Did it in the morning so the trail was about 50% shaded. In the winter when temps are mild I’d say this hike leans on the easy side of moderate. We did it in a hour and 20 min with a fairly long rest in the oasis. I can imagine it being very challenging in the summer heat.

it was ok. the thing we didn't see no wild life at all

We hiked this with a 5 and 10 year old, challenging but doable with kids. Took an hour each way, plus some time to rest and hang out at the oasis. Most is in full sun so better for cooler months but still bring lots of water! Signs indicate people have died here due to heat.

Great moderate hike on the edge of Joshua Tree; good exercise without being too strenuous. The palms at the end really do spring up out of nowhere.

My wife and I were staying at Indian Cove Campground and did this trail during our stay. It’s right up the road from the campground. It’s another fun little hike. Clearly defined trail that I’d say is moderate. We did this in December the temperature was around 60. I’d imagine this hike is brutal when it hot. As there is little break from the sun until you get the the oasis. That said, we really enjoyed this one.

I just love this hike.

The palm trees pop out from no where. Very cool. We were there around 11am so part of them were in the shade, would have been better in the sunlight.

Awesome place to hike.

Great hike. We did it in 100+ degree temperature weather against park ranger advise. It wasn't that bad - make sure you bring lots of water and make sure you're dressed accordingly with sunscreen. It's brutal if you're not used to hiking. The Oasis is AMAZING!!!! One of the cooler hikes I've done because it just doesn't quite make sense to have something like that in the desert. Super cool.

Beautiful trail with a lovely surprise at the end. Some parts a very vertical but there has been rock steps placed to make it easier.
It has a magical way of easing you out of city life in to nature and back the other way.

No water in the oasis today. still a pretty hike, very hot so bring water with you

awesome trail, lots of water and palm trees, as you can tell by the name, fun to explore, high traffic but totally worth it, great place to have a picnic.

At my backdoor. Awesome hiking

The hike was through desert the entire way until you reach the oasis. Seeing the palm trees in the distance really gives you motivation to continue the hike, and the end is worth it.

Great hike! Best to go early though, for both heat and crowd reasons. Challenging for newbies, but not impossible. Looking forward to hiking this tail again!

This was a great hike, but make sure to go in the morning or evening because of the exposure to sun the whole way to the oasis, which is where you'll find the shade. Make sure to bring lots of water! There is an incredible amount of stone stairs to climb and descend on the trail as well.

Really cool hike. No water at the oasis on the day we went. Great side mission if you're staying in the J-Tree area.