Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail

Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June.

Ranger at visitor center commented that this hike is at lower elevation than most other hikes inside the park. It therefore is hotter.

Very scenic hike on Joshua tree. Ample parking. Bathroom at trailhead. Wide well maintained trail. Very enjoyable hike.

It was nice. I can recomend it to palm lovers.

Great hike! Definitely had me sweating at times but wasn't hard! Agree with another poster--the trail was better than the oasis but I enjoyed it all around!

Terrific short (3.5 miles ft), moderate hike. Best early AM as trail traffic increases after 10/10:30AM. Trail is actually more interesting and rewarding than the oasis.

Just enough elevation climb and diversity all around was amazing. Kids could go off trail and free climb some boulders. Loved the oasis.

Located a little south of Hwy 62 and you can do this hike without paying to enter Joshua Tree National Park. There was plenty of parking when we were there in February. There is also a bathroom at the trail head. It is pretty steep for the first .75 miles of the hike and then you go down and reach the oasis about 1.5 miles from the parking lot and since this is an out and back trail RT is about 3 miles with about 600 ft of elevation gain. We did it later in the day and it was pretty busy. Takes about 1-2 hrs to complete. Some good views and the oasis area with the palms is pretty cool.

Fun trail run

I thought this trail would be so-so because it’s very popular and heavily trafficked. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. It was our first hike in Joshua Tree and a great choice. The scenery and views are incredible. If you hike fast enough you can get a bit of a workout. The oasis is really cool and there was a ton of water there when we went.

Nice hike!! Start early and beat the heat!

Nice little hike off the beaten path in j tree. Did it in the morning so the trail was about 50% shaded. In the winter when temps are mild I’d say this hike leans on the easy side of moderate. We did it in a hour and 20 min with a fairly long rest in the oasis. I can imagine it being very challenging in the summer heat.

it was ok. the thing we didn't see no wild life at all

We hiked this with a 5 and 10 year old, challenging but doable with kids. Took an hour each way, plus some time to rest and hang out at the oasis. Most is in full sun so better for cooler months but still bring lots of water! Signs indicate people have died here due to heat.

Great moderate hike on the edge of Joshua Tree; good exercise without being too strenuous. The palms at the end really do spring up out of nowhere.

My wife and I were staying at Indian Cove Campground and did this trail during our stay. It’s right up the road from the campground. It’s another fun little hike. Clearly defined trail that I’d say is moderate. We did this in December the temperature was around 60. I’d imagine this hike is brutal when it hot. As there is little break from the sun until you get the the oasis. That said, we really enjoyed this one.

I just love this hike.

The palm trees pop out from no where. Very cool. We were there around 11am so part of them were in the shade, would have been better in the sunlight.

Awesome place to hike.

Great hike. We did it in 100+ degree temperature weather against park ranger advise. It wasn't that bad - make sure you bring lots of water and make sure you're dressed accordingly with sunscreen. It's brutal if you're not used to hiking. The Oasis is AMAZING!!!! One of the cooler hikes I've done because it just doesn't quite make sense to have something like that in the desert. Super cool.

Beautiful trail with a lovely surprise at the end. Some parts a very vertical but there has been rock steps placed to make it easier.
It has a magical way of easing you out of city life in to nature and back the other way.

No water in the oasis today. still a pretty hike, very hot so bring water with you

awesome trail, lots of water and palm trees, as you can tell by the name, fun to explore, high traffic but totally worth it, great place to have a picnic.

At my backdoor. Awesome hiking

The hike was through desert the entire way until you reach the oasis. Seeing the palm trees in the distance really gives you motivation to continue the hike, and the end is worth it.

Great hike! Best to go early though, for both heat and crowd reasons. Challenging for newbies, but not impossible. Looking forward to hiking this tail again!

This was a great hike, but make sure to go in the morning or evening because of the exposure to sun the whole way to the oasis, which is where you'll find the shade. Make sure to bring lots of water! There is an incredible amount of stone stairs to climb and descend on the trail as well.

Really cool hike. No water at the oasis on the day we went. Great side mission if you're staying in the J-Tree area.

Really nice short hike for early morning or later in the evening. You will be exposed to the sun the entire hike so bring plenty of water! 3 miles out and back took us about 1hr 45 minutes. That is with a lot of stopping for pictures. You may encounter some rattle snakes and lizards. We seen a lot of lizards and one rattle snake.

Great trail run!

Word the wise because we have friends who've struggled with this trail: aim for spring/fall seasons for hiking if you're not used to this weather or trails-- take water and snacks! I read somewhere that it's a good idea to head back to the trailhead when your water is half gone.... this trail will be strenuous if you're not used to hiking. No shade while hiking, once you get to the "oasis" you'll find shade. Hydrate for this one especially. Enjoy.

Excellent hike. Be careful at the end after descending the steps there is a false trail which takes in the wrong direction but to a dead end. So come back to the steps to take you back on the original trail.