Fortuna Mountain Trail

Fortuna Mountain Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beginners and newcomers should start out at Equestrian Circle. Equestrian Cir Santee, CA 92071 is the address you want to use if you are using Google Maps.

Love this trail

Great for a morning workout and enjoying the views.

we took the north trail on the way up and came down the South, highly recommend taking the South trail. Happy Trails

Some challenging parts!

More crowded than I had expected but not overcrowded. Lots of different paths to take.

I’ve hiked all around mission trails for years and this is hands down my favorite loop. It’s challenging but great views and a lot of fun. You are sure to be tired after this one.

My husband and I are from Utah, but we are living in San Diego for the summer, and we were missing out mountains and trails to run, so we went out here and it was better than we thought! We did a trail run 6 mile loop with about 1,300 ft elevation. It's not quite Utah Mountains, but it was really fun, and we will be back. The trails are marked very well, and you can pick what you want to do since they are all intertwined. We summited the south fortuna peak, and took it to the fortuna saddle, and then did a couple other loops. Super fun!

Great challenging hike with gorgeous views. Bring lots of water.

My friend Megan lost her tan and black Kate Spade wristlet with her license in it. Please call her or mail it if you find it. Great hike! Bring lots of water.

great challenge vs most trails

My son and I had such a blast hiking this trail! We love the Fortunas! We enjoy the incline so the stairs and saddle trail were fun for us!

You must sign book,thats what makes this hike unique .

North Fortuna Peak is great however nearly all of the trails are very wide and graded with the exception of the area right at the peak. The signage is poor and every little section of Trail has a different name. We got lost multiple times. You end up having to use your phone and GPS which is not my idea of a good hike.

Very nice trail. I think the nicer direction is clockwise. Overall not a lot of shade so bring plenty of water. I met less than 10 other hikers on a sunny Saturday, so it‘s not crowded at all.

My second time at North Fortuna. This time I signed the book

The saddle trail is super steep and slippery. Great cardio workout and a fun slip and slide on the way down!

Wear hiking boots if you take the saddle trail. It gets slipperaaaaaaay! I like horses.

Very nice, hilly hike/trail run w great views of San Diego and Miramar Airbase.

Mission Trails has so many great trails! If you want a good challenge, begin heading up South Fortuna first. There are some stairs leading to the summit that are sure to make anyone tired! If you would rather not climb the stairs, head to North Fortuna first and then continue over to South. Of course you don't have to do both Summits. If you park at the visitors center, beware that you will have to cross water at the beginning of the hike. I suggest bringing some dry socks to change into. To avoid crossing the water you can start at Old Mission Dam. This is a great trail that can easily be modified to challenge you more or less.

nice hike a lot to see. not mush shade. pack list should have at least 3L of water. have fun pack out what you pack in. animals welcome watch out for snakes

This trail was wonderful! May have got turned around, but the view was prettier with each turn. Bring extra water and the power lines can be used as a landmark to keep you on your path!

This was awesome! Well marked and stunning views. I felt very safe.

I haven’t actually done this trail yet, but I want to bad! I’m fairly new to the area and a little worried about venturing in the “back woods” by myself. The only daylight time I really am available right now are Wednesday and Thursdays. If anyone (or many) are interested in teaming up to run Mission Trails or any other in San Diego area shoot me an email: warfitnessgrp@gmail.com. Hopefully there’s others that have a open schedule on Wednesday and Thursday’s!

we completed this trail in 2017. highly recommend long pants abd hiking poles. lots of rattlesnakes.

Great when there has been enough rain to keep the creek flowing and grasses are green. Ok when it’s dry.

Nice trip

Best part of this hike is going up the stairway to heaven and north fortuna. The rest is just getting back.

Some steep inclines, careful coming on the way back with the slippery gravel. Don't forget to sign the book, the box is located to the North Fortuna sign at the peak!

excellent steepness

Deffinatly a good workout with plenty of space, trails are a bit confusing but there are plenty of signs. Please if you see or hear a rattlesnake don’t stop to look for it, just slowly move on. Don’t worry, there’s a good enough amount of hikers that they keep them off the trail!