Fort Point - Baker Beach Coast Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(106)
Presidio of San Francisco

Fort Point - Baker Beach Coast Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near San Francisco, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 793 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

The Baker Beach Coast Trail meanders amongst the bluffs above Baker Beach, and has a stunning view of the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Marin Headlands. Start from the Fort Point National Historical Site. Note: A portion of Baker Beach is a nude beach.

Majestic! Marked as Easy but I would categorize it as Moderate. A lot of stairs up and down, so do it if you have a healthy heart and legs. The views of the Golden Gate Bridge are unforgettable. You even get to walk under it! Highly recommend! Kids as young as 6 should be fine.

This part is super nice and easy. We decided to go all the way to Lands End and get an Uber back to the start.

Beautiful hike, fog or not!

Thu Nov 15 2018

Beautiful walk ☺️

Sun Sep 30 2018

First and foremost, the upper part of this beach is CLOTHING OPTIONAL. But don’t let that scare you off! Great view of the bridge & very secluded walks along the beach or along the mini forest right behind it. Nice way to get out of the overly touristy city.

Thu Nov 30 2017

Born next to this one at Letterman

Thu Nov 02 2017

Love this trail a lot! Less people breathtaking views good exercise!

Fri Sep 29 2017

Fairly easy hike. There is other interconnecting trails, some that go across the Golden Gate bridge, The Presidio, etc. This coastal one has views of the GG bridge pretty much at any spot of the trail. There's area of quite a bit of steps. You can go down and walk along the beach, Marshall's Beach (There's some nudist) and also Baker Beach. My group kept on going through Seacliff area, to Lands End Labyrinth, and ended at Sutro Bath ruins to catch a beautiful sunset. This was first time, but can't wait til next one!

Sun Mar 05 2017

We started the hike at 10:00 am from the Presidio Transit Center. We hiked through the Presidio to the Golden Gate Bridge toll plaza, walked under the bridge and took the Coastal Trail to Land's End - visit Marshall's and Baker's Beach, the beautiful Seacliff neighborhood, Land's End Trail, Sutro Baths, Cliff House, and ended at Ocean Beach. Total distance was 7.6 miles with elevation of 951 feet. Our moving time was 2:46 but with so many beautiful coastal view stops and a lunch break at the Ocean Beach, our total time was over 4 hours. It was a wonderful hike and rated moderate because the distance.

Fri Jan 06 2017

More of a walk than a hike. There's a ton of other tourists, but it's a scenic trail that you have to go on if you're near the golden gate. Beautiful scenery and picture spots. My favorite parts were the walk to Marshall's beach and the sand ladder. These are somewhat off the trail so make sure you take these detours

Tue Jan 03 2017

One of my favorite walks in the city. I usually park by Ft Point and go as far as China Beach but this segment is awesome. The hike down to the beach is worth it.

Tue Dec 27 2016

hiking illegally with donny d.

Sat Dec 24 2016

Love it!!

Fri Dec 02 2016

This route can be a run, walk, bike, or drive. However you choose to explore it, the views of the Golden Gate bridge and the Pacific are excellent. I walked it with the pups and made a loop out of it. Some things you may want to explore on or near this route include the World War ll Memorial, Immigrant Point, the Sand Ladder down to Baker Beach, and the various buildings, batteries, and overlooks along the way. I parked in East Battery (paid parking) just East of the bridge but there is plenty of free parking West of the bridge in several places along Lincoln Blvd, as well as at Baker Beach. Next time, I'd prefer to run or bike it.

Sat Jun 25 2016

Beautiful view. Definitely a favorite

Sun May 08 2016

Even on a rainy May day this walk is special, to add a few extra steps take the stairs down to the beaches. On this occasion we were lucky and saw two whales swimming out past the bridge from the bay

Wed Apr 13 2016

Beautiful, amazing view of the bridge and pretty easy. Great to take out of towners!

Thu Aug 13 2015

I've hiked this one many times during my life since I was born and raised in SF for the first-half of my childhood. My school field trips would often include a trip to Baker Beach. I went to Rivendell School, an elementary school in the Outer Sunset. It's a great place to visit and a wonderful hike. Be wary of swimming in the ocean there though. I swam and nearly drowned. My science teacher saved my life. Definitely a memorable moment.

Wed May 09 2012

Part of the trail (.8 mi W of GG) is currently closed for revamping, and the Eastmost part of the beach is nude. Beautiful overall with great views, easy trail to walk/hike. I will do it again!

Thu Sep 15 2011

This was an easy hike, and the views from the top were breath taking!! Well worth the hike.