Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

Forsee Creek Trail to Johns Meadow Trail Loop

hard(31)
San Bernardino National Forest

Forsee Creek Trail to Johns Meadow Trail Loop is a 16.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 16.8 miles Elevation Gain: 4,576 feet Route Type: Loop

Great views of San Gorgonio and San Jacinto from San Bernardino peak. Trail condition is well maintained. Some bugs on the west side, so netting can be useful. There is often water at John's meadow and other areas to the west, but everything can be dry at trail fork springs. Trail forks springs doesn't have great views, but is very nicely sheltered from the wind.

Great loop. I've summitted San B, San B East and Anderson Peaks a few times but never from this route. I will definately do this one again. Not much water on the Forsee Creek Trail, But plenty to be had near limber pine and just before and just after Johns Meadow Camp. I agree with the Oct 5th posts. The hike is longer than what is posted in Alltrails. We ended up with 18.66 miles and a total elevation gain of 5118'. Careful when driving to the trailhead. It is about a half mile of dirt/rock road off the main road (Jenks Lake Road). I drove a sedan (Hyundai Elandtra) and had no issues, but I did drive very carefully.

Secluded, diverse scenery, amazing hike. Longer than it says, we recorded 18 miles in ~9 hours including breaks. Recommended.

I did this hike counter-clockwise starting at 9:15am with 5.5L of water. The trail was not too crowded, and had great views of San Gorgonio and San Jacinto from San Bernardino peak. Trail condition was excellent and maintained. Some bugs on the west side, so netting was useful. There was plenty of water at John's meadow and other areas to the west, but everything was dry at trail fork springs where I camped (arrival ~4pm). A number of other groups came through expecting water there, so plan accordingly. I believe some people found water at Jackstraw springs, but I was unable to confirm. Trail forks springs doesn't have great views, but is very nicely sheltered from the wind. Day two from trail fork springs back to the car took about 2-3 hours. Overall I would do this hike again, maybe in winter.

Beautiful hike! Stayed overnight at Jack Straw Springs and then finished the following day. If you are a beginner-intermediate hiker like myself, I would recommend breaking the hike up over completing in one day as the steep incline can be a lot. The last 4 miles felt like 8 but well worth it!

Beautiful hike, one of my new favorites. Great views throughout and you even get to bag a couple peaks. Trekked this loop clockwise this past weekend with an overnight at Trail Fork. I think that’s the better way to do it since the incline on that side feels more gradual whereas the John Meadows side has steeper and more uneven terrain. However, be aware that as of Aug 24, 2019 there is very little water coming out of Trail Fork springs. None from the pipe at all. I had to scoop from the small pool below it. With that in mind, you might want to consider doing the route counter-clockwise with an overnight at Limber Pine instead where there is still water flowing.

Great hiking. I wanna say it was tougher than San Jacinto. The East Peak is better that San Bernardino Peak, in my opinion. Otherwise, highly recommend.

Came through John Meadows, bagged San Bernardino Peak and ended up at Trail Fork Creek Camp. Spenr a night and came down through Forsee Creek Trail. No water at Trail Fork. Took about 18 miles to complete. Weather was great. Limber Pine creek was flowing. Definitely a challenge, especially carrying 50lbs.

Three creeks and two rivers (if you pass John’s Meadow just a little). Views. Flowers. And lightly travelled. Trail is in fantastic shape. Road to the trailhead, however, is not. Very rocky. Fantastic way to start the day.

One of my favorite hikes in SoCal. Conditions are great now, and I have a full guide up on HikingGuy com if you want more info on what to expect. The last section through the John's Meadow Trail can be tough but it's very doable.

I did the loop clockwise over three days. Very nice hike; I think clockwise is the way to go. The trail on the Johns Meadow side could use some TLC and is much more up-and-down with a few blowdowns than on the Trail Fork side, where trail conditions were excellent. There is water at Trail Fork Springs not far from camp. At Limber Pine, there is water about 10 minutes away in the drainage above the camp (along the trail). No water on the downhill side. The flies were a nuisance but no mosquitoes except around Foresee Creek. Great views from all the peaks: Shields, Anderson, East San Bernardino, and San Bernardino. Great hike.

This trail has a nice gradient to it over most of its length. The only stretch where the trail gets kind of rough is between Columbine Springs and Johns Meadow. We started at the Forsee trailhead and did a clockwise loop. There was plenty of snowmelt runoff in the creeks so we never had to carry more than 2 liters of water. The trail became buried under snow around Trail Fork Springs, but there was plenty of open ground to make it up to the ridge line. With most of the snow being on the north side of the mountain, we picked our way along the top of the ridge bagging Adamson, East San Bernardino, and San Bernardino peaks along the way. The sketchiest stretch of the trail was between East and San Bernardino peaks. There was still some snow drifts over 6 ft high and we either hiked around them or over them. At no time did we need micro spikes. We were kind of surprised that we didn’t see many critters but the views from the trail were phenomenal. The register Ammo boxes on all 3 peaks could use replacing. Of the three only San Bernardino Peak had any kind of paper to write on and I think I took the last available space. It would make for a good Eagle Scout project to hike some more ammo boxes up to the peaks. Each peak could use a new sign too. Hint..Hint... We spent the night at Limber Pine Bench Camp. What a great view we had. As mentioned before the stretch between Columbine and Johns Meadow was the roughest portion of the trail. When I say rough, I’m mean steeper gradient and not as well maintained. We went on weekdays so we had parking at the trailhead. I could see parking being an issue if you go on the weekend and don’t get there early.

Still heavy snow (May 31), obscuring the trail above 8000’. Couldn’t make it to Trail Fork camp. The clear parts of the trail were in great shape, all the way to Jackstraw.

Mon Sep 10 2018