Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Forsee Creek Trail is a 12.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,884 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Really beautiful trail, lots of wildflowers along with new growth in the first few miles of the trail. We camped at Jackstraw Creek, which had pretty good cover from the wind. Temps drop at night significantly and felt colder than forecasted, so bring extra layers. From about 5 miles onward there were patches of snow covering the trail, but the snow was melting rapidly. Beautiful views along the way up. Definitely recommend trekking poles for this, especially due to the snow. Spikes were not required.

It was a great trail until about 4.5 miles in it got to be pretty deep patches of snow. Lost and found the trail a few times. Forged on for about another half a mile before deciding to turn around because we weren’t sure it was going to get any better. Other than that saw a mountain bluebird, mountain chickadees a beautiful yellow orange and black bird yet to be identified.

I only got three miles in before I encountered a bunch of snow I was not prepared for. Needed crampons.

Today is the first time I saw so much snow—so thick, so cold, but so beautiful! I love it. It was so cold that my fingers and my toes were numb and painful. We had to return back down at 9400 ft. elevation. Will come back again when it is warmer.

Took a little walk up the Forsee Creek Trail to Anderson Peak. I've done this trail as a loop to Anderson, San Bernardino East and San Bernardino Peak and then down the SB Divide Trail to Columbine and on to John's Meadow and back to the trailhead. I much prefer this. It's a little over 14 miles with a little off trail to the top of Anderson. It's not as busy as the Divide Trail and it's good as a change of pace, plus it's higher than San Bernardino Peak and a nicer summit. It's steep, but not too bad. Heading back down is a nice change of pace. This is a nice hike, try it.

Great trail for quick overnight backpacking adventure. We stayed at Jackstraw. There was a small stream for water. The hike up is hard on a well maintained trail. Hike down was easy.

My go to trail on a hot day. Did this as hike up to the divide heading East at Trail Fork and looping back to the Western Junction. For those interested, there is only a small trickle of water at Trail Fork Spring.

There was no water at trail fork springs. Had to scrounge some up and treat it real good. The camp sights on the north edge of the camp ground are amazing

I would reccomend this trail if you are looking for something isolated and great scenic views. The first few miles had trees sprawled everywhere but eventually you'll come across nice green bushes and flowers. I turned around at

Was able to bag San Bernadino East Peak and Anderson Peak. There was some mud on the trail and lots of bugs.

It was a great challenging hike, especially carrying a full 65l pack with gear. There are two campgrounds that aren’t always reserved. I did get altitude sickness at the top when camping at fork spring campsite.

I hiked to Jackstraw Springs on June 5. Just before you reach the springs there is a some snow drifts you need to cross. At about 9400' we did not have the gear (microspikes and gators) to continue on to the peaks that were our destination. The springs are flowing well and there is plenty of water which we used for our descent. There is no particular place that is 'hard', it is just that this trail has a large elevation gain at high altitudes.

Sun Sep 30 2018

great hike on a well maintained trail

Thu Jun 21 2018

Decided to try something different and started at Forsee Creek to Shields, Anderson, San Bernardino East to West then descended via Johns Meadow. Great views, variation in terrain, and highly recommended except I underestimated the heat and only took 3L of fluid. My dog drank 1L and I ran out the last two hours. She was able to soak and drink at one small spring before the Johns Meadow split and at two larger creeks in the meadow but paranoid me decided not to drink from any and left the filter and purification tabs at home. Big mistake on a hot day that hit 80 in Angeles Oaks. GPS listed about 18.5 miles and 4436 elevation gain. This route is less traveled and I only ran into people descending from San B.

Sat May 12 2018

Really good hike! Not trekked as much as some other nearby trails. Good views.

Mon Feb 19 2018

Beautiful trail! Lots of "BAM!"s (Beauty Appreciation Moments) from the massive redwood trees at the beginning, the sweeping views over the mountains, and the snow! As of Saturday Feb 18, trails were clear below around 9000ft, and microspikes and poles are highly recommended above that elevation. We passed some people barebooting it, but it was quite slippery in some parts on the packed snow. Jackdaw Springs where we camped was well sheltered from wind. There was some flowing water but it was very shallow (1" of water or so) and muddy. The last mile or two before Foresee Creek was quite windy, we were glad we had our hardshell jackets+pants. We didn't find water at Forsee Creek, so we cut short our plans to continue to Bernardino Peak because we didn't have enough fuel to melt snow. It snowed a little this morning (Sunday Feb 19) in Angelus Oaks, so conditions have probably changed on the trail.

Sat Sep 23 2017

Lightly traveled trail with several stream crossings. Loved the peaceful easy feeling provided by this trail. Highly recommend this trail for those looking for an easier less-traveled trail.

Sat Jul 29 2017

Nice trail. Start around 6500 and finish at the saddle around 10500. Around 13 miles round trip. Beautiful weather. Pine trees all the way so plenty of shade and a constant grade up and down, trail is less than 1/3 rocky. So easy on the feet and lite traffic. Only ran into 2 groups of hikers all day. Only thing, don't drive your Honda to the trail head, dirt road is rough!!!! Other than that I highly recommend this hike.

Sun Jun 04 2017

this was a nice hike, the first part starting in frome the parking area is a little steep but not bad at all, after that it's up and down easy hike, the creek was really nice great view's, well shaded along the way, good trail to do in the summer, good trail to take if you have little ones, just remember to stop along the way and take in the scenery that's what it's all about my fellow brother and sister hikers, enjoy !!

Sun May 28 2017

beautiful trail. the parking lot is down a ride that is a little rocky (far enough down a road that you kind of feel like your not supposed to be there. the trail is beautiful but narrow so I would say for older kids. the first 1/2-1 mile is the hardest and steep right from the parking lot but if you can push past it you won't be disappointed.

Sun Jul 17 2016

As Matt stated, closed at fork with John's Meadow, which we hiked. Nice, mostly pine covered trail with a couple of very small water sources. Lots of bugs in these areas. Passed two guys wearing mosquito netting. Hike it out to end of trail, eat in the shade, then hike it back. Six plus pleasant miles. Great trail.

Sun Aug 23 2015

Good beginner hike. Only route open is to Johns meadow right now due to the Lake Fire. Steep incline up until about the johns meadow, jackstraw springs fork. Then sort of levels out with slight ups and downs. Occasionally there are opening that show the valley.

Mon Aug 03 2015

Lovely. Not too hard. Really becomes beautiful about 1.5 miles in.

Tue Aug 12 2014

Hiked this trail with son and daughter to Anderson camp. Strenuous climb but worth the views. Big Bear lake and lights at night. Enchanting pine forest and flats at top. Carry 2L of water to be safe...no water in creek along trail. Spring is located at Dollar Lake / Angelus Camp fork signs (7 mi) from trailhead. Look down to right of trail fork located in bushes is a trickle spring. Filter water.

Sun Jun 29 2014

Hiked this hike today with a meet up group. It is a moderate ascent up to Anderson Flats and peak. We went over to Shields Peak. It was a rock scramble to the top. A lot of fun. Not something I do regularly. Out of my comfort zone but was easily overcome with the great company I was with. Most of the trail is shaded with pine needles underfoot or underboot! Quite a peaceful hike. The scenery is awesome. A nice way to get to San Bernardino Peak…Our hike was 4400 elev gain and 14miles

Thu Jul 25 2013

Me and my buddy did this trail up to Jackstraw Springs this morning with our dogs. Beautiful trail and moderate hike. Mostly shaded all the way up to the spring. Took us just over 2 hours to get up with some rests and just under an 1 1/2 hours down.

Sun Nov 25 2012

Nice hike went up 3 miles 8571elevation tried to make jack straw ran out of time