Forrestal Preserve Loop is a 4.3 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Rancho Palos Verdes, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 km Elevation Gain: 231 m Route Type: Loop

Please note that partial trail closures have been reported for this trail as of 05/26/2020.

Most of it is closed it only took about 40 minutes to do it really quickly.

This loop is OVERGROWN, full of fleas and ticks. Also see rattlesnake picture on trail nearby.

Great views, a little steep in places. We were going to do the full loop but heard very loud humming that sounded like a lot of bees. Didn't go all around the loop but went back the other way. A good amount of people out on the trail. They were respectful with giving people space and wearing masks.

I would say this is a moderate loop due to the incline factor but nevertheless it's a quick, local hike.

We took the road shortcut back to the community center instead of hiking back up the cliff. A nice extension of the quarry trail!

Loved this trail! While it’s close to homes, when you’re in the canyon, it’s so quiet and peaceful. Great for birding! Saw three red tailed hawks and I’m pretty sure I heard an owl (but never saw it.) Not too busy, wonderful ocean and Catalina Island views, lots of fragrant purple sage, interesting rocks for all you rock hounds! Some pretty steep sections but they were short. Will definitely be back!

The trail has a nice view of the ocean. There were areas that were outgrown but dog friendly. I also think the trail is more of a moderate trail as it has various steep inclines.

recorded Forrestal Preserve Loop

This is more of a moderate trail for running.

Great trail.

Looks beautiful but 5 minutes into the hike my dog stepped on a rattlesnake! My dog was fine but I was too creeped out to continue...might try again in the future with an extra person to lead and watch for snakes!

Great hike. Would not rate it as “easy” — on this entire loop as outlined above it was 57 floors of elevation gain according to my phone! Some of the trails were a bit overgrown with sharp leaves. Not a dealbreaker, but make sure you wear pants.

Sun May 26 2019

During May this trail has a lot of fawning plants that poke your eyes and legs. Trail can be muddy in some places. Make sure to bring boots during April-June.

Wed May 22 2019

Spring photography here (with the pop of Dark-Eyed Susans all over the hiil) is quite nice.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Nice trail !

Thu Jan 17 2019

My family did a small portion of this trail called the fossil loop trail which starts at the end of forrestral road. The trail head has maps that shows all the trails of the park and descriptions of the most popular ones. The fossil loop trail is short and sweet (less than a mile), perfect for introducing young children to hiking.

Thu Jan 03 2019

One of the better trails in PV. Will definitely do again. Edit: I did this trail again in 2/19. Pirate Trail is a tough uphill. Mariposa and Flying Mane Trails were lush green from recent rains - pleasant trails with great views and a good amount of up and down hill. Conqueror trail and Quarry Trails are uninspiring and next time I'll just skip them. Almost no one on the trails so very peaceful. It turns out I missed the trail closed signs as I entered. Doh! They had been removed before I left. All in all, most of this trail is worth doing again. Note: it's much easier to navigate the path system by googling Forrestal Reserve and printing a map from the PDF. URL is https://pvplc.org/_lands/docs/UPDATEDMAPS/ForrestalJan%202019%20Reprint.pdf 6/24/19 I stopped in at the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy (PVPLC) office today and there are no plans to open the Forrestal gate on any regular schedule. Plans for some TBD solution are being discussed, but assume it will be closed.

Fri Nov 09 2018

Can’t believe I’ve lived here for a few years and never knew about this trail! We parked at the community center in the parking lot but you can also continue down the road and park at the other end on the street. All the trails sort of loop back into each other so I don’t think you’d get lost. The dogs loved it! Only ran into one other person hiking on a Friday morning ... we did about 4 miles although you can make it as long/short as you want. Not a ton of shade so bring a lot of water. Pirates trail is pretty uphill on the first half but then it evens out. Really gorgeous views of the ocean the whole way through!

Sun Jun 24 2018

I did this hike today. I'm a pretty amateur hiker and so far this hike is my favorite. It's the perfect length and difficulty to make for a casual

Mon May 28 2018

Nice easy hike with amazing views of the ocean. Trail maps are available at the start/ends of the trails, but very hard to get lost

Mon May 07 2018

This is one of my favorite hikes. Easy to moderate but if you want a little challenge go up the Cristo Que Viento trail. The views are stunning and the degree of difficulty gives your body a good workout. Very little shade if you hike later in the day. Great dogs on leash hike.